Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anyone else get Valve Ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else get Valve Ticking?

I have noticed for a while now that when I'm accelerating that I have what sounds like a valve ticking and was wondering if anyone else has this as well?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Visseroth
I have noticed for a while now that when I'm accelerating that I have what sounds like a valve ticking and was wondering if anyone else has this as well?
Have you ever retorqued your rockers and injectors? Just a thought.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Indeed I have but I did it by hand knowing what their ft lbs ratings are because I didn't have anything that went down to the lower ft lbs or inch lbs.

Think I should get a tool that does go that low and get under there and torque them again?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Wouldn't hurt if you got the time haha. I had to do my injector cups earlier this year and I torqued them correctly but I didn't notice it was quieter like others have. It doesn't cost anything, and might help.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

these injectors are loud, my bet its injector noise

Old 05-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
I wonder if I can record the noise. I'll have to try that today after I warm the truck up. MAYBE you guys can hear it. It really sounds like a valve instead of an injector.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:37 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Can give it a go m8. but every recording I have heard sounds exactly like my truck

Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Pour some ATF in the fuel tank. It just might quieten it down if it is an injector.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
LOL, did that, had a gallon in with a full talk if fuel and a gallon of 2 cycle motor oil that we didn't need as well

Old 05-21-2011, 07:47 PM
ghig1967
Elder User
Indeed I have but I did it by hand knowing what their ft lbs ratings are because I didn't have anything that went down to the lower ft lbs or inch lbs.

Think I should get a tool that does go that low and get under there and torque them again?
I've been having a ticking/slight knock for a while now. I had the passengers side off to fix the UVCH a little over a year ago. I only had a ft lbs torque wrench too, but like a dummy.. I didn't catch the "inch" lbs at 1st. After I got like a quarter turn & the wrench didn't click I thought to myself they couldn't be "that" loose & just did a quarter turn on each. After looking at the write up closer.. I then caught the inch pounds. I couldn't find anyone with an inch lbs wrench, so I left them as is.. I've been thinking lately.. could having them torqued "to tight" have an adverse effect & be the source of my ticking/knocking??

Old 05-21-2011, 10:24 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Coast down a hill in drive with O/D off and see if the tick goes away when the injectors cut out. If you can make the sound come and go with the throttle, its likely the injectors. My are getting louder lately and you can really notice one that knocks/ticks more then the others.

By the way.... 120 inch/lbs is 10 ft/lbs. I have a 3/8th inch torque wrench from craftsman that goes down to 5 ft/lbs that I use for this.

EDIT: Here it is. http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...2_00944596000P The only thing I dislike about it is the rubber grip can move and the numbers don't line up with the windows properly. This happened on my brothers wrench, but not mine. I center punched a few spots on the handle where the rubber is supposed to be just in case.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Only during acceleration? I would be looking for an exhaust leak since they sound the same. If it were a valve, then I would expect to hear it all the time.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
yea, I think you are right. It sounds like a valve tick but if I'm going down hill or let off the throttle or just put down the load without accelerating the tick goes away. So you have a very good point there. It may be that at 225K I'm due for new or remanned injectors which I am not looking forward to because I still have to yet replace or rebuild my trannie as my syncros are going out and have been for about 30K, LOL

Old 05-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gchavez
Only during acceleration? I would be looking for an exhaust leak since they sound the same. If it were a valve, then I would expect to hear it all the time.
I wonder if it could be that bolt on the passenger's side that has a busted head on the manifold, lol. I haven't fixed it because I don't want to take the manifold off unless it's a problem.