Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another no cruize / horn question...But THIS is odd.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 AM
mdula
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump for any idea on getting my cruize workin? Cant seem to find out what wires go to the cruize module.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:10 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdula
Bump for any idea on getting my cruize workin? Cant seem to find out what wires go to the cruize module.
Are you certain that the clock spring is not the issue? My F150 developed the no-cruise. no-horn, airbag light problem. And it was the clock spring. I replaced it it and all is fine now.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:10 PM
mdula
Elder User
Originally Posted by bladez51
Are you certain that the clock spring is not the issue? My F150 developed the no-cruise. no-horn, airbag light problem. And it was the clock spring. I replaced it it and all is fine now.
No offense but did you read any of the thread? . Sorry no pun-intended. I dont have a clockspring. Ive already identified the issue. I need help identifying the wiring for cruise, from my harness off the column to the factory cruise harness. My truck does have factory cruize but it seems the column was once replcaed.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM
nebechanezer
Tuned
My truck does have factory cruize but it seems the column was once replcaed.
I take it you have a cruise servo under the hood? I was thinking about that this week but didnt have a chance to post. Was wondering if you had a swapped-in cruise-equipped steering column into a truck that didnt actually have cruise, but if you have the servo under the hood then its just a matter of connecting two wires, you just have to figure out which two. Look at the plug on your servo, see if any of those wire colors match the 2 you have left over in your gray square plug. if you find a match, i'd confirm them by checking continuity, if they are to the servo, i think they are the 2 wires you need for the column, since the horn was on that plug. Then just connect each of your column cruise wires to a grey plug wire, if cruise still doesnt work, reverse them. i dont think it would hurt anything to have them reversed to test, but i'm not sure. The only other thing you can do is study some schematics and figure out why your wires are different colors. this helped me 1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net

Old 05-27-2011, 05:14 PM
bladez51
Senior User
No offense but did you read any of the thread? . Sorry no pun-intended. I dont have a clockspring. Ive already identified the issue. I need help identifying the wiring for cruise, from my harness off the column to the factory cruise harness. My truck does have factory cruize but it seems the column was once replcaed.
Sorry.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:31 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry.
Another great "Read before you post" incident...

Old 05-27-2011, 05:50 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Another great "Read before you post" incident...
I had read the post before, but I do not understand how the horn and cruise control worked without a clock spring. I guess the controls are not on the steering wheel in these trucks, thus my question.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

I had read the post before, but I do not understand how the horn and cruise control worked without a clock spring. I guess the controls are not on the steering wheel in these trucks, thus my question.

I'm one with a very dry sense of humor.....

Old 05-27-2011, 06:02 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
I'm one with a very dry sense of humor.....
OK, I don't mind the joking or even getting beaten up in forums, but I still don't understand how the horn and cruise control buttons would work without a clock spring in this particular truck which should be pretty much like mine except for the heavy duty parts. I don't think the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks have special HD horn or cruise control although I might be wrong. Anyways, the OP still has the same problem and I still don't know how it can work without a clock spring.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:07 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

OK, I don't mind the joking or even getting beaten up in forums, but I still don't understand how the horn and cruise control buttons would work without a clock spring in this particular truck which should be pretty much like mine except for the heavy duty parts. I don't think the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks have special HD horn or cruise control although I might be wrong. Anyways, the OP still has the same problem and I still don't know how it can work without a clock spring.
They could've wired the wires on both sides together......

Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 PM
mdula
Elder User

I believe 1ton trucks didnt have to have an airbag, since my truck does not have an airbag a simpler copper plate with three sliding contacts was sufficiant. The siding plate is no different than my horn hookup in my 1969 torino Here is the side with out the wheel on. The steering wheel, I dont have a pic, but has a 3 ring coper plate that corresponds to the three pins in the pic. So with the horn and the cruise buttons only three leads come from the steering wheel.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

250/350's didn't come with airbags....

Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 PM
mdula
Elder User
Originally Posted by nebechanezer
I take it you have a cruise servo under the hood? I was thinking about that this week but didnt have a chance to post. Was wondering if you had a swapped-in cruise-equipped steering column into a truck that didnt actually have cruise, but if you have the servo under the hood then its just a matter of connecting two wires, you just have to figure out which two. Look at the plug on your servo, see if any of those wire colors match the 2 you have left over in your gray square plug. if you find a match, i'd confirm them by checking continuity, if they are to the servo, i think they are the 2 wires you need for the column, since the horn was on that plug. Then just connect each of your column cruise wires to a grey plug wire, if cruise still doesnt work, reverse them. i dont think it would hurt anything to have them reversed to test, but i'm not sure. The only other thing you can do is study some schematics and figure out why your wires are different colors. this helped me 1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net
Im jackin with it now...I actually did try it, by trial and error since there are only two wires left on the plug, the others I figured out. I do have a servo, and factory plug to it. The colors do not match but when I tried the two and I pushed the cruize buttons nothing happened.

Shouldnt there be a cruise on/off light on the dash?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
nebechanezer
Tuned
No, no cruise light on the dash. Only way to test is drive over 30 mph and see if it works. Did you trace the wires back to the servo? Still don't know why you have different
plugs than mine. That confuses me. whats your trucks build date?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 PM
nebechanezer
Tuned
Make sure you check for power at the servo also, that your fuse is good.

Quick Reply: Another no cruize / horn question...But THIS is odd.