Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not exactly buyer's remorse, but should I have gotten an Excursion vs Expy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:19 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not exactly buyer's remorse, but should I have gotten an Excursion vs Expy?

Just picked up a 2003 Epxy EB with 78k a few weeks ago and I love the truck. It is in almost mint condition and has every option except satnav and entertainment which I will be adding in the near future. I also made sure to get one with coilovers and not airbags. However, after having all 3 (yes 3 dogs pushing 500+lbs combined) of my English Mastiffs in the back with the rear row folded, plus my 2 year old plus some bags plus the wife (weekend trip) it was pretty full... I will be getting a roof rack bin to alleviate having to worry about the bags for trips and I don't see myself maxing the tow rating of 8600 lbs for this thing in the foreseeable future. Just wondering who else had the Expy vs Excursion dilemma, if anyone.

I got the Expy because of the creature comforts, the updated interior, the fully boxed frame, the independent suspension setup and the better gas mileage vs the V10. If I got a diesel I would want the 7.3 having driven my father's 2000 F-250 superduty with the 7.3 for years and those were out of my price range with any sort of decent miles. I am having second thoughts because the Expy is not my daily driver (I use a SVT Contour for that) and I could have got a V10 Excursion XLT for what I paid for my Expedition and with similar miles. I obviously could not test drive the Expedition with 3 dogs and a bunch of luggage in it so I was not aware just how full it would get lol. Everything still fits, just might be nice to have the cave that is the back of the Excursion with the seat pulled out.

I know you guys will be biased but I know some people here HAD to go through the same dilemma or got rid of their Expys for Excursions or vice versa.

Thanks for reading the long post.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:26 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I cannot speak as to owning an Ex, but I do have some experience with rooftop baskets vs. tagalong hitch mount racks.
If you're at all concerned with mileage, which you might be on longer trips, then I would suggest against the rooftop carrier. Not only is it 6+ feet off the ground, making items more difficult to load, but a mileage penalty of 1-2mpg is likely.
The tagalong hitch racks are great for a number of things, and if you put something on them and it drips, like coolers, etc, it won't touch the finish of your Expy.

A V10 Ex XLT will also not have some of those extra creature comforts that your Expy EB has. I find that on long trips those extra comforts are nice.

Just my $.02 as a passer-by.
Good luck!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Hitch rack would be good except if I have to pull over to let the dogs out, I'd have to unload and remove it which is a pain. If I don't have the dogs then I'd have plenty of cargo space inside. Plus I'd always worry about morons not seeing the thing and rear ending it...

edit: I did see a 2002 XLT base model 4x4 and the dealer swore it had the 5.4 V8 instead of the V10. I was not aware that 4x4s came with the V8, I thought the V10 was standard for 4wd? Does not change my view of dismal gas mileage though and I imagine a 4x4 Excursion with the V8 might struggle a bit. My Expy with the 5.4 isn't exactly quick although it can get out of its own way if I need it to. Although I do see F-250 extended cabs with the V8 running around so I dunno...

Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would say that the 5.4L in the Ex would fall somewhere between underpowered and adequate. It'll move, but not swiftly.

I test drove a F250 4wd Crew shortbox when looking at my F150, and it was adequately powered, for a 6,000lb truck.

You're right about the hitch rack...depending on the upward and outward swing of the liftgate and the clearance on each end. Would it not be possible to flip one side of the 2nd row forward and let them out a passenger door? Just thinking out loud here...and trying to avoid what's left of my workday!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:13 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Lol yeah you and me both, I work 6-3 so another 50 min but I'll probably duck out at 2:30 since its Friday.

I honestly might just get a small enclosed cargo trailer for long trips and be done with it.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Karlsgems
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Scotty,

This is exactly the dilemma I found myself in! And you can see how I solved the problem. My wife is the original owner of the Expy in my signature, and I have been frustrated with it for a long time.

I don't have dogs, but I do have two small kids and a lot of STUFF!
The Expy is just not BIG enough. My brother in law has a suburban and even HE wants an Excursion (and he doesn't even like Fords).

I DO have to admit that there was one OTHER factor in my decision....I am about 6'6" and weigh about 350. Since joining this forum I have noticed several others mention that they are also in this size range. And I have yet to find a more roomy and comfortable ride (with the possible exception of my old '67 Dodge Coronet, but that's a whole different thread)

So, GO FOR IT! Get the Excursion and GO BIG! I have NEVER heard anyone complain "...my vehicle has just TOO MUCH ROOM!". I realize it's not as simple as pushing a button because you just purchased something else. But I really do think you'll enjoy an Ex. Oh, and yes I regret not getting a Diesel. But the wife just wasn't having it.....

Best of luck, and feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it further. You'll notice I just bought mine about a month ago. And I would say in the next year or two we will be replacing the Expy.

Good Luck!

Karl.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Putting things on the roof gets old immediately.
Especially, when on the drive "somebody" says:
"daddy I want my pillow" or "where is the [insert item here]".
I always worry about something flying off on the hi-way - when
I am BEHIND someone with stuff on their roof.

I like the small utility trailer idea myself in your situation.
Plus, you can fit it with shelves to make it more organized
AND use it to store the stuff when you don't need it.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Karlsgems
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost forgot....

the 5.4L V-8 is definitely underpowered in the Expedition. I would NOT consider getting one in an Excursion. Remember, it's always better to have MORE than you need. This is true for most things....Roominess, power, tools, money....you name it.

Karl.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
Ah, already got the Expy like I said, basically just trying to get rid of any lingering doubts that I made the right call. Gee thanks lol.

I'm still happy with the purchase, just the whole "did I make the right call" thing that happens sometimes. I like the look of the Expy better, I HATE how idiot Ford didn't fully box the frame in the Super Dutys back then (03-up Expy is fully boxed) plus I do like the creature comforts of the Expy. Really the only reason I am even thinking I might have needed bigger is the dogs but like I said, they do fit in the back of the Expy so I guess its fine for now.

I probably will get the small trailer for road trips or when the whole family/dogs are in the truck and I need to bring stuff along.

Agreed that the 5.4 is a bit underpowered but I got the 03/04 SOHC specifically because the Lightning supercharger is almost a direct bolt on

Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
When we upgraded SUV's I told my wife I wanted the biggest one because I was tired of hearing we don't have enough room. We got the diesel to pull and for economy and we have never regretted the purchase.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I went from a e150 conversion van to my excursion. The only thing I miss is the ability to walk through to the back with ease. But I'm out of the diaper and crying baby stage so it's not needed. Plus the bench seats carry more people and that's what it's all about

Old 05-20-2011, 03:14 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a Super Duty and an Expedition. The truck is a brute. The Expedition is nice on long trips. Quieter, more comfortable, gas is cheaper, etc.

If you need a hitch basket (that is what we do)...check out this one. It swings out to the side. I don't have it, but it looks pretty slick.

Swing Away Total Hitch Cargo Rack | Hitch Mounted Cargo Rack | Stowaway2 - Swing Away Hitch Mounted Cargo Racks

http://www.lakelandgear.com/hitch-ca...rgo-racks.html

Old 05-20-2011, 04:45 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
I always worry about something flying off on the hi-way .....
YouTube - ‪National Lampoons Vacation - Clark drives the Family Truckster off the closed road‬‏

Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 PM
rhamerin
New User
Amazon carries the same hitch rack for $299 and also has one for $108.95 50"x20" SWING-AWAY CARGO CARRIER BASKET JEEP SUV RV VAN CAR TRUCK (T-CARGOCARRIER-CC5020)
by TMS
Price: $108.95
look it up

Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Mikes67F250
Senior User
I had a 99 Exp with a 4.6. I had to do some things to it to get more power out of her for towing and such. Duel exhaust, diablo predator, high flow cats, and a cold air intake. This made a huge difference and the gas mileage increased as well. I had a hard time trading it in but it was approaching 200,000 miles all of which served me very well. But money was going to have to be invested, eventual motor, body work ect. ect.
I am very happy with the excursion but you will sacrifice a bit with gas mileage. If this is not a factor then you would certainly be happier with a excursion with the added room and power. Like I mentioned the Exp will be reliable and it will take alot more towing and loads then most realize. As long as it is well maintained. I know this because I have had some loads and pulls that would make many cringe. The choice is yours,both trucks are exceptional in their own ways.

Quick Reply: Not exactly buyer's remorse, but should I have gotten an Excursion vs Expy?