Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

Restoring Grandpa's '68 F350

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:45 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Isn't that a pretty small cam for a big engine?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Handegard
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
Isn't that a pretty small cam for a big engine?
I emailed back and forth with a Comp rep about the engine, and in the end thats the cam he recommended.

Separately, I used the Camquest.com thing to pick a cam, and when the one I liked the most turned out to be the same one the Comp guy picked, I figured he knew what he was doing and bought it.

A lot of the other cams, lost low end. This is 5k+ truck with a 4 speed....

Old 10-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Handegard
Elder User
Progress boys and girls...

Today has gone like this:
  1. pick up part
  2. go to install part
  3. go to Home Depot for needed fastener
  4. install part
  5. See #1
It slowed things down. But I'm happy with the day.

The cover looks "wrong" to me. I assume when it was new it may have been black, but I'm only 27, so every bumpside I've ever seen has a faded grey firewall cover. To me, faded grey looks 'right'.... Going to look great with black carpet...

Tested and working at all three speeds, yay...

Firewall cover is over priced. It seems to be of great quality though, but I still had to trim it to fit the pedal assembly in.

Seeing this little light glow was AWESOME. We both OOHED out loud. I don't know what I expected, but that red light is beautiful.

I also got most of my wiring harness sorted out. I have some repairs to make in the morning (actually, redoing existing repairs) but tomorow I expect to have functioning wiring for most of the interior.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 AM
Handegard
Elder User
Color scheme is decided...

Black carpet, sun visors, arm rests, and dash pad. We had the door panels painted to match the cab. We're going to look for some black (eg dark grey) leather bucket seats out of a newer Ford, and a center console.

Also putting factory tinted windows in the sides.

I now have another ~$800 order from LMC ready to go (going to add a few things)

I have a list of a dozen small things to track down (like the clips that hold the chrome trim around the glovebox and a drivers side floor vent panel) but after todays LMC order I think I've got the cab pretty much nailed down.

Amazing to think this project started with me wanting to do nothing but make it run so I could use it as a bulldozer, and barely 5 months ago! I'm hoping to have it done start-finish in less than six!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:28 AM
Handegard
Elder User
Oh! And I got the cab clearance lights installed.

And I figured out a very simple addition. With 2 relays and a pair of extra wires to the roof, I am going to have the 2 outermost marker lights blink with the turn signals.... in addition to having the fender markers wig-wag with the front turn signals. It's going to be hard to miss when we make a turn!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Handegard
Oh! And I got the cab clearance lights installed.

And I figured out a very simple addition. With 2 relays and a pair of extra wires to the roof, I am going to have the 2 outermost marker lights blink with the turn signals.... in addition to having the fender markers wig-wag with the front turn signals. It's going to be hard to miss when we make a turn!
I hope we can get a video of this! I remember a fox mustang on cardomain that had the whole wig wag going on with all the lights like a cop car does, when asked about it he said it took almost 40 relays!

have you considered using a superduty center console that flips up into a jump seat? I'm not sure how easily it would mount, but have seen pics of some in bronco's that looked pretty sweet.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Handegard
Elder User
Originally Posted by muscletruck7379
I hope we can get a video of this! I remember a fox mustang on cardomain that had the whole wig wag going on with all the lights like a cop car does, when asked about it he said it took almost 40 relays!

have you considered using a superduty center console that flips up into a jump seat? I'm not sure how easily it would mount, but have seen pics of some in bronco's that looked pretty sweet.
Its a pretty easy system.

For the side markers-

A) Run the ground from the side marker to the power (not ground) side of the turn signal. When the turn signals are off, there will be ground present on the whole line (up until the switch) and the side marker will light up normally.

When the turn signal comes on, it will send power to the side marker on the ground wire (which won't hurt anything) and interupt the side marker. Giving it a noticable wig-wag to oncomming drivers.

B) As far as the roof lights go, I'll hook them up to a 5 pin relay on the normally closed position. When the head lights are on, all 5 clearance lights with light up, and the relays will be idle.

I will run the trigger for each relay to the turn signal circuit for that side. When the turn signals come on, it will trigger the relay, which will interupt the roof lights. So whenever the turn signals are on, the roof lights on that side are off. Giving a wig-wag effect. This only works when the running lights are on.

We will take what we can get from a center console. I think we pretty much just want something that will fill the gap between the two seats, and have the apperance of factory.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Handegard
Elder User
More progress. I'm placing another big LMC order today, next week will be busy....

This will be my right turn....

As simple as the circuit is, I was happy to get this working..

The instrument cluster will come back out for cleaning, I just needed it to work on wiring...

Old 10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
That's pretty cool! I never thought about making the marker lights part of the turn signals. I might just have to steal that idea for my trucks!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:14 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
that is sweet! might have to steal it as well and call them handy (hande) lights to put credit where credit is due.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 AM
Handegard
Elder User
At the rate I'm running wires, I'm thinking about setting it up so it'll flash sequentially like a old Cougar (Middle....#2....#1....Repeat). I just added one of those headliners that houses speakers and a radio to the order. Going to have the stock radio in the dash (maybe even working) and a newer head unit in the roof. Although Grandpa just asked me "will the new headliner fit a nice Cobra CB?" so maybe the head unit won't go there...

Just placed another big order from LMC, highlights include carpet, dash pad, armrests, and a headliner. The rest is little tiny things we're noticing as we go, bushings for the clutch linkage, rubber plugs for the firewall, little things.

Also-

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW YOU GET FREE SHPPING WHEN YOU ORDER $1,000 from LMC! Argh! I've placed 2-3 ~$7-800 orders in the last 2 months, and spent over $300 on shipping! If I'd have consolodated those orders, I would have saved all my shipping and gotten more parts!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Handegard
Elder User
Well, sad news. LMC shipped my latest order UPS Freight instead of UPS Ground (it was free shipping, but since I had nothing that required truck freight I just figured the free shipping was ground) so my parts won't be here until at least the 9th.

That means I don't get to spend tomorrow installing all that....

Instead, we'll get the short block done, mated up to the transmission, and in the truck. The heads will hopefully go on next week...

We're also going to go junkyard hunting for a newer wrecked SuperDuty or big Ford SUV to take some leather bucket seats from...

Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
At the rate your going its like 3 of you there working. You are making great progess. And fast.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Between you and Buzz I feel like I'm going backwards on my project!!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Handegard
Elder User
Spent today at a junkyard, managed to get all the wiring I needed to replace my damaged wiring. Glad I didn't have to repair/make it myself.

I also snagged a factory Front/Aux fuel switch (floor) and the dash mounted one for the gauges, with the little bezels and everything.

I know I grabbed a bunch of other stuff. Found a pair of leather buckets that might work out.

Quick Reply: Restoring Grandpa's '68 F350