Upgrading factory system in steps 05 F350 Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM
OverHeight
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrading factory system in steps 05 F350 Crew Cab

I want to upgrade the Factory system in my 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab. But I have to do it in steps because....budget of course.

Step 1: I am replacing the 4 factory speakers with Kenwood KFC-C6893PS. Already purchased and on the way.

Step 2: Add amp and sub, but also amp new speakers.
This is where my questions really start. I only want 1 amp, so do I get a 4 channel amp and only power the front speakers and use the 2 other channels bridged to power the sub? Or do I go to a 5 channel amp and power all speakers? What amp do you recommend?
The Sub I have is a 15 year old 10” MTX blue thunder sub and enclosure.
If the AMP is in the back of the truck along with the sub, is there a wiring harness that plugs into the factory head unit harness, or do I have to run wires from the head unit back to the amp and then back to the head unit to tie into the speaker wires?

Step 3: Replace factory head unit with aftermarket. But have it plug into existing wiring and steering wheel controls. Any recommendations on a replacement head unit at a reasonable price?

I’m a greenhorn, so take it easy on me.

Thanks!

Matt

Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
I'd go with a 5 channel amp, which one is entirely up to how much you want to spend. For 1 10" something like this would be budget friendly choice.

Since you're not replacing the head unit yet you should get one of these. It will give you the outputs you need for the amp. I would recommend running new speaker wire from the amp to all the speakers.

In order to keep your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit you will need one of these. Just be sure to get a head unit that is compatible.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM
OverHeight
Tuned
Originally Posted by fz1dave
I'd go with a 5 channel amp, which one is entirely up to how much you want to spend. For 1 10" something like this would be budget friendly choice.
Perfect!

Since you're not replacing the head unit yet you should get one of these. It will give you the outputs you need for the amp. I would recommend running new speaker wire from the amp to all the speakers.
Just so I understand, this will give me preouts to run to the amp. Does this disconnect the speaker wires going from the deck to the speakers as well? So then all I have to do is run wire direct from the amp to the speakers?

Also, this adaptor gives me 4 preouts, but the amp is 5 channel. Does the amp automatically take the bass from the 4 other preouts?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by OverHeight
Just so I understand, this will give me preouts to run to the amp. Does this disconnect the speaker wires going from the deck to the speakers as well? So then all I have to do is run wire direct from the amp to the speakers?
No. There will still be signal sent to the speakers through the factory wires, but you will not be using them. When you remove the factory speakers, just tape the factory harness off. Signal will now be coming from the amp speaker leads.

Also, this adaptor gives me 4 preouts, but the amp is 5 channel. Does the amp automatically take the bass from the 4 other preouts?
No. You will need to feed the 5th channel as well. To do that you will need a set of these, tapped off the front channel outputs.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 PM
OverHeight
Tuned
Thanks for your help Dave! However i'm now more confused than before. The PAC AOEM-FRD24 PAC AOEM-FRD24 (aoemfrd24) Interface that Allows Replacement or that you recomended only has 4 preouts, 2 front and 2 rear. If I use the 2 front preouts for the Kicker ZIYM Y adaptor then where do I get my power for the front speaker inputs on the Amp? Also the Y adaptor takes me down to 1 preout, where the amp requires 2 inputs for the 5th chanel. Boss CX1800

Thanks for your patience, this is all new to me.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Here's the hook-up...

You're going to need RCA patch cords, such as these, to connect the 2 sets of pre-outs from the PAC unit to the amp. (2 front and 2 rear, so 2 sets of patch cords)

The 2 rear cords will plug directly into the amp rear inputs, white to white, red to red. (or in the case of the patch cords I linked to, black to white, red to red)

The 2 front cords will each plug into the blue end of one of the Y adapters, splitting the signal for the front and the sub inputs. So now you have 4 leads to plug in. 2 for the front amp input and 2 for the sub input.

As I said earlier, the patch cords I linked to have a black stripe on one connector and a red stripe on the other, instead of the customary red and white.

Now you're going to plug the 2 Y adapter leads coming from the red striped patch cord into the red inputs on the amp, one going to the front red input and one going to the sub red input.

Now plug the Y adapter leads coming from the black striped patch cord into the 2 white inputs on the amp, one for the front and one for the sub.

Clear as mud?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 AM
OverHeight
Tuned
Here's the hook-up...

Clear as mud?
Light bulb went on!

Thanks Dave, youre the best!

One more question, do you think this wiring kit will work? Power Acoustik AKIT44 4-Channel Amplifier Installation Wiring Kit

Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Yep, that kit will work just fine.

The only other thing you may need is more speaker wire, depending on where you mount the amp and how long the runs of wire are.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 AM
OverHeight
Tuned
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks again Dave!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:32 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
No problem. Good luck and be sure to post some pics of the install.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
The new 5 channel amps really work good. The Massive amps are small & put out good power. I'm running a 4 channel & a mono amp in my trucks. I don't mind giving up the space. I have them where the jump seats were in the Ranger. I put them under the seat in the F250. They take up the whole area under the big rear seat. I have a old USA 4 channel 90 watts x4 & a Kenwood 250 watt sub amp in it. My Ranger has a Phoenix Gold ZR 475 ti & a JL Audio 500 in it. I like my old amps. Made in America & very clean & powerful. They are 10 years old but they still rock.