1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Show Me Your Shop Made Tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 PM
KGP50
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Show Me Your Shop Made Tool

Mine is a slide hammer / pin puller. I needed one today to pull a dent on my '41 cab in a spot that had a brace on the backside and prevented the use of a hammer and dolly. Didn't want to spend $200+ on a body pin welder and the local parts shops only had the type of slide hammer that uses a sheet metal screw as the pulling element (shudder!). So I dove into the scrap parts bin to see what I could come up with. Found an old 3/8" drill chuck, some 3/8" steel rod, a piece of square tube, and a heavy steel cylinder that I saved from a trash bin some years ago because it 'looked' like it might come in handy some day. Nothing unique about a slide hammer but the use of the old drill chuck worked great at holding the 1/8" welding rod I tacked to the sheet metal and used as the pins to pull the dent. It took about 4 pins tacked at various spots on the dent. As you can see from the pictures, it wasn't perfect but it got me as close as I needed for the sanding and filler work that will come later.

Now show me yours!
- Ken