1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I'm Bummed.... wouldn't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm Bummed.... wouldn't start

OK... so I've not worked on my truck in forever. 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there... but cash flow is non-existent. So I've slowly been trying to get to a point where I could START the stupid thing....
Last hurdle was buying a new battery. $80, this week.
TODAY bought 2 battery cables and tried to start her up....................

Barely turned over.

SO is the NEW 6 volt battery to blame?

or

The 58 year old starter?

It did turn over, but barely. New pistons, Rings, longer throw crank, cam etc. etc. etc.

Need to buy a 6 Volt battery charger...

I REALLY WAS EXCITED... told the kids we're gonna start Mater this weekend...... WAS gonna post a video for YOU guys...
I know we all love pix...

Good thing I love these old trucks.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of time new batteries do not come with the best charge on them...... so maybe it just needs a good charging. Also 6 volt system are very particular about bad grounds and loose wires, so maybe the ground wire isn't clean enough, maybe the starter mount isn't clean enough as it provides the return path. Possibly a dirty starter........ probably more things that can "ruin" the start......

Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 PM
councilman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was your fix for 12-05-10 post? Boy's 98 mustang rear brakes not releasing. Curiosity killed the cat.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Where does your ground cable attach?

Keep in mind the flatheads crank slowly under the best of time.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
If you are running 6V pos ground........the key word here is GROUND. Lots of them. Engine to frame, frame to body, etc,etc. Also the biggest battery cables you can get. Run your battery ground directly to the engine.
Also your starter could need some attention....

Last edited by tinman52; 05-16-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 AM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys.....
I THINK I've got the ground covered... it is positive ground. Wire to frame and from the same bolt, to one of the bell housing/starter bolts. (When and IF I ever get the cab mounted, I will add more ground wires...)

Had the starter "checked out" a couple years ago by a friend of mine who works at an electric motor shop...

I really am hoping it's just a weak new battery.... No telling how long a 6 V had been sitting on the shelf at the Auto Parts store...

MUSTANG BRAKES not releasing... oh yeah.... the Stang had been lowered at some point in it's lifetime and apparently my son bottomed out and pinched the brake line on the rear axle... Step on the brake, pressure pushed fluid through... release the brake, nothing caused the caliper to release....

I'll let you know in a couple months if I get the Flattie started... LOL (not so funny...)

Old 05-16-2011, 08:09 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
I recently bought a new battery that was discharged right off the shelf.This, in spite of the salesman's assurance that it was ready to go.I think I would pull that starter again,and take it back to your buddys' electric shop for testing, in 2 years,things can change.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 AM
53 Meadow Green
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, charge the crap out of your battery. And, positive ground can mess you up too. Make sure it's hooked up correctly.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm thinking that you've got a combination of a couple things draggging you down here. First, a brand new engine is tight and tougher than normal to turn over until it's been run in a little bit. The second thing is your new battery is probably not completely charged. How much stuff do you have wired up? Is the charging system wired to work once it fires? It IS possible to crank a 6 volt system with 12 volts from a modern car, but you have to be careful and know what you're doing or you could damage the generator or voltage regulator if they're hooked up. It's not as simple as jumping your buddy's 12 volt pickup.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Okay. Blueovalrage said what I was thinking. Let the hillbilly redneck in me to make a suggestion. Unhook everything short of the starter wire itself. Get yourself a good charged 12 volt battery and give it a whirl for a few seconds. Do that 2 or 3 times, and I bet that will help "loosen" it up some. I had to pull that trick when my flathead was stuck AFTER I soaked it for about a week and it started turning slowly with my 6 volt battery first.