what's your biggest goof during repairs - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

what's your biggest goof during repairs

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's your biggest goof during repairs

Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 PM
crum71
1/8 mile Oval Track
crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.crum71 has a great reputation on FTE.
Ummm used to be a Honda mechanic years ago, was doing a motor install had the used engine sitting beside the old blown motor was changing a few hoses and didn't pay any attention and kinda in a rush. Long story short, I put the blown motor back in and didn't notice until I was putting oil in and it ran out as fast as I put it in. Grrrrrr I learned then to watch what I was doing....

Old 05-16-2011, 04:28 PM
superduty4x4
Post Fiend
superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
I once shot myself in the eye with carb cleaner while working on a snowmobile. That hurt.
When I did ball joints on my SD I put the brake dust shield on backwards. Oops.
Put a throttle slide plate in upside down in a dirt bike carb once, took me a while to figure out why it ran so bad.
I've accidentally punched myself in the face/nose/eye/lip/whatever more times than I can count thanks to wrenches slipping.
I have a few scars from my mechanic "skills."
I'm sure I could think of more if I really tried

Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
clux
Post Fiend
clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
This guy I know, one time while drilling out a broken off exhaust manifold stud, drilled right through into the water jacket on the head. I............ er................... I mean.................... this guy realized what a dumba** he was when the coolant started pouring out................................

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM
robs01f250
Elder User
robs01f250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lets see,

Pressing the rear ujoint out of my truck and is shot out and dented one of our other vehicles. There was 200,000 miles on that ujoint.
Swapping out the GEM module in my truck, got the old burnt module out, laid it next to the new one and then reinstalled the old GEM. Needless to say I was pissed.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 PM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
HH60FE has a very good reputation on FTE.HH60FE has a very good reputation on FTE.HH60FE has a very good reputation on FTE.
I just did an oil change and figured the copper washer was good (new last oil change). Getting some "spotting" on the drive. Yep its tight too. Grrrrrrrr
I just seem to make a $10 job into a $100 repair. Hoping the second half of my life I use the lessons learned from the first half.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by crum71 View Post
Ummm used to be a Honda mechanic years ago, was doing a motor install had the used engine sitting beside the old blown motor was changing a few hoses and didn't pay any attention and kinda in a rush. Long story short, I put the blown motor back in and didn't notice until I was putting oil in and it ran out as fast as I put it in. Grrrrrr I learned then to watch what I was doing....

I'm going to rep you right after this.
Thanks for the laugh.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 PM
bulla
Postmaster
bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.
I put the wrong HPOP gasket on my HPOP! Of course you were all there with me on that one! I'm sure there are many more mistakes to come.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Trying to rotate my rear drive shaft to get it re-balanced... forgot to use wheel chocks... took a ride out of the garage and across the driveway while I was still on the creeper under the truck... both bones in my left ankle broken... I'm VERY fortunate to even be alive!!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
diesel-fitter-bum01 has a good reputation on FTE.diesel-fitter-bum01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Holy cow man! I would of shat myself. Haha glad you were ok,for the most part.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.
Dang, I guess we all have a woops here and there. Temperature about -15, doing an oil change on the car my college daughter was driving. It had over 200k on it so I was going to be nice to it and add some STP (really thick oil). Put all the oils into it, started it and pulled it up to the house and shut it off. Daughter gets in and takes off. About 10 minutes later I get a call that the engine quit and won't turn over. We go check it out and the motor is stuck tight! I knew immediately what had happened. The oil never got a chance to warm up and the STP got sucked into the oil pickup and plugged it starving the engine of oil. And that was a good little car, too! Guaranteed that mistake will never happen again.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Franko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud of
I bet the idiot that rebuilt my trans twice and finally installed a reman from another company has a few "big goof" stories to tell.
That still burns me up....

Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
beanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by crum71 View Post

Now thats funny!Thanks for the laugh Scott.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:29 AM
twags6
PAA Member #7 and FTE
twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.twags6 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I forgot about the brake shields! It seems like everybody's done that one though.

One of my sockets is missing and it happens to be the size of the rocker hold down bolts. I noticed this about two weeks after pulling the VC's. No idea where it is......

Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SLUF681 View Post
Doing ball joints on my F350. Got everything buttoned back up on the driver side and started on the passenger side. Then the thought hit me... So I went back to the driver side and tore it back down and put the dust shield on. Kinda sucks.
And I thought I was alone! The only difference was that I did it on the passenger side (you have to tear the whole thing down and pull the hub out of the knuckle), but I turned around and did the exact same thing on the driver's side! Cost me about 2 extra hours of work.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks
bfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to behold
how about fighting a drivablity issue for 1000 miles, changing injector orings, tearing it apart on the side of the road TWICE before figuring out its a plugged fuel filter!

Barney

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what's your biggest goof during repairs

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.