1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Punch list questions on 56

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:24 PM
NVRAGN
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Punch list questions on 56

Since I'm just learning about trucks maybe you can help me out on 2 questions regarding my recently running truck.
1. Adjusting the carb. It is electronic with 4 ports (if that is the correct teriminolgy) and an Endelbrock. Doen't run well (stops completely) when I give it a little gas. Last night I went to park it but had to give it a little gas. Each time it would stop. Wants a lot of gas. A friend adjust it some but now when I come to a stop it seems like it wants to keep going. It has two screw to adjust it.
2. What do you think about changing it toEFI?
3. How does the glove compartment on a 56 stay shut? It does have the spring but seems to have no latch.

Enjoy it. Even my wife has gotten in it twice. More than I expected.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:01 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
electronic carb?? on a 56??well you got my attention...what is it ..can you show us a picture..if it's stalling it could be a vacuum leak..or timeing..or..what motor have you got in there ??if you have a crab ..one screw is idle speed ..the other is fast idle on the choke...then there is the fuel mix screws...if your running EFi...I'm not sure what your gonna do...

Old 05-15-2011, 04:13 PM
jimprowse
Junior User
Sounds like an Edelbrock carb , which is a Carter a-f-b , really a decent carb , generally , when a car "hesitates/dies" on pull-away accelleration , it's a defective accelerator pump , easy to change , easy to buy at "most" speed-shops , pump piston dries out over time if not used , also "new" gas-ohall" seems to attack older carb materials , and neoprene hoses , , change all flex fuel hose to "new" hose marked "fuel injection", and a new acelerator pump piston , good to go ,, turn idle mix needles in "gently" then back out 1 2/2 turns , get it running/warm , then "fine adjust in till engine starts to limp , back out 1/4 turn and you should be good ,, hope this helps ,,, Jim P ..