6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

6.2 troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 AM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.2 troubles

Hey guys hopefully I can get some knowledge on a couple problems that have recently appeared on my 2011 F250. I got gas yesterday at a shell in town, and then drove the 45 min home.

no problems or funky sounds the whole way. when i pull up to my gate I realize the engine fan is on and the engine has revved itself up to 2000 rpm. it wasnt overheating and the ambient temp was only 80, as i go to drive up my driveway and get on the gas it makes this horrendous "knocking" sound for a brief second. it seriously sounded like a diesel. im thinking spark knock? not sure as ive never heard this before. it will "knock" under high initial load as in right before the transmission kicks into a lower gear but no other time.

i went out this morning to poke around and start it up. it took a few seconds longer to fire than it normally does, and when it did it started chugging and running rough. it idled it self up to 1500 rpm and finally settled down and idled smooth.

the truck has 146,000 miiles on it. im certainly thinking new spark plug time since I have no record of the fleet company before me ever replacing them. this is also the first time ive ever gotten gas at this particular station, normally I try to hit a kum and go since I haul fuel for them and know exactly where it comes from, to prevent crap like this. any ideas?

Tony

Old 07-14-2015, 10:18 AM
auburngrad
Senior User
Really soundsorry like it has ties to the gas. How much did you put in it?

And if you don't already, always get a receipt for your gas. As that's the only proof they will take if there is ever an issue with what they dropped in the tanks.

I don't know what spark knock sounds like either.

But do the plugs if they've never been done. Maybe between old plugs and gas, it sped up an issue that had not shown it's face yet.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:44 AM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
It was almost on empty. I try to never let it get below 1/4 but time got away from me and i didnt notice til i was leaving work. I do have the reciept for the fuel so i have proof. Ill be doing plugs on it tomorrow, gotta find somewhere with them, cuz with 16 platinum plugs i only want to buy once. Stick to motorcraft or has the aftermarket caught up to produce something comparable?

Old 07-14-2015, 10:56 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Be nice if you could get a sample of the fuel in a glass container..and let it settle for awhile. If there water in the fuel, you can see it.. sounds like water or diesel in the gas..

Old 07-14-2015, 11:08 AM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
I can drain some out and let it settle. I filled up 27 gallons of the crap.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:57 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not report this to the gas station and let there insurance take care of this? you may not be the only one.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 PM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
i have. they said I'm the only one so far and their manager will be in touch with me later today when they get in.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:02 AM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
Well things took a turn south this morning on my way to work. I had a service engine soon light come on after i filled my truck up again yesterday (from a high volume station that i know has quality fuel). It ran fine for the most part as i drove home. Now this morning it decided to stall out as i came to a slow right turn. Died mid turn so i had to armstrong steer it to the side. Started right back up but kinda shuttered as it did. Stalled out again each time i slowed to below 5 mph or stopped. Also ive noticed where my rpms used to run about 1700 at 70, its now running 2000 rpm. I dont think my torque converter is locking up now. Ill be stopping to buy a code reader today after work and let you know what its throwing.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:27 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hot.hogs
Well things took a turn south this morning on my way to work. I had a service engine soon light come on after i filled my truck up again yesterday (from a high volume station that i know has quality fuel). It ran fine for the most part as i drove home. Now this morning it decided to stall out as i came to a slow right turn. Died mid turn so i had to armstrong steer it to the side. Started right back up but kinda shuttered as it did. Stalled out again each time i slowed to below 5 mph or stopped. Also ive noticed where my rpms used to run about 1700 at 70, its now running 2000 rpm. I dont think my torque converter is locking up now. Ill be stopping to buy a code reader today after work and let you know what its throwing.
I would figure out whats going on ASAP before you create more problems by continuing to drive it like that. JMHO

Old 07-17-2015, 07:10 PM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
Well when the problems set in every time in 20 miles from home i kinda have no choice but to press on. Unless you would like to drive me around, as this truck is my only vehicle. I would absolutely love the luxury of being able to park it and drive a spare vehicle. However, some of us do not have such luxuries.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Knothole
Senior User
Just a caution; never fill up when the delivery truck is there dumping fuel. Everything it the bottom of the storage tank gets stirred up.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:31 PM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
Thats funny, im actually a gasoline hauler. Ive had so many customers come up to me asking what im delivering. They normally just drive away. If its a low volume store then id be weary, but all thw quality controls the stores must go through yearly with the epa and other gov agencies its not that big of a worry with a large volume store. Some of these places run through 10,000 gallons a day or more. Cross drops that arent caught are the biggest problem. Some drivers simply dont care to take the time to double check what they are dropping is going in the correct hole.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:18 AM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
Alright, got the truck back from the shop today. Their explanation was that due to possibly bad gas, the truck detected a very lean condition and in turn started over fueling the engine to the point where is wouldn't run anymore. They reset the computer and forced a re learn of the fuel trims. The maf sensor was extremely dirty as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:55 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hot.hogs
Alright, got the truck back from the shop today. Their explanation was that due to possibly bad gas, the truck detected a very lean condition and in turn started over fueling the engine to the point where is wouldn't run anymore. They reset the computer and forced a re learn of the fuel trims. The maf sensor was extremely dirty as well.
Hey thx for letting us know the probable cause..
Just curious .. did you check a sample of gas in jar.. ?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:50 PM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
I never had a chance to try. Its running much better, even though the dist. to empty is telling me I have 538 miles to empty when I filled up yesterday. Still needs to work itself out but at least it wasnt something more major. Might end up needing to replace the MAF if it goes south again.