1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Got a stupid question... EDITED- My '76 F150 Build.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:29 AM
dorkpunch
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a stupid question... EDITED- My '76 F150 Build.

But I gotta ask anyways.

It seems that 37" tires (hummer) will fit under a stock un-lifted 4x4 dent, true or false?

Assuming Hummer tires will fit under a stock unlifted dent... Will a 300 have enough poop to even get the thing moving?

And the kicker: No power steering.

I'm not planning on doing any serious off-roading, which makes the tires less than pointless. I'm working on starting a business in the summers while I'm off from teaching, and the big tires would be more of an "eye-catcher"- advertising for my business (mobile small engine service & repair, small welding jobs, lawn care, general handyman, whatever.). Plus they're cheap.

Going for something along these lines:

Old 05-07-2011, 01:57 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you're referring to a highboy then yea they'll fit, 37's are about the max, 35's look/fit better IMO, due to spring fatigue over the years a lot of highboys sit an inch or two lower than the day they rolled off the assembly line (most were rode hard and put away wet), so fitment can vary from truck to truck.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:03 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
As far as a 300 six having the grunt to get them turning, it's all a matter of what gears you have in it. 4:10's probably would but anything higher (numerically lower) won't have enough power to pull your hat off.......................Oh and good luck trying to manuver it around with no P/S............I don't mean to sound blunt but you already knew the answer so it should not be a surprise........

Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 AM
dorkpunch
Tuned
Guess I'm confused... Is there a difference between a 4x4 and a highboy? Is a highboy an F250 4x4, or is an F150 4x4 a highboy too? Mines just a (not-so) tired old '76 F150 I picked up at an auction for $200... She aint pretty. Yet. Paint just got here this morning.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:51 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
Guess I'm confused... Is there a difference between a 4x4 and a highboy? Is a highboy an F250 4x4, or is an F150 4x4 a highboy too?
All '67-'77.5 F250 4x4's are highboys, they came from the factory sitting about 3-4 inches higher than their '77.5-'79 counterparts, hence the term "highboy".

Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 PM
jmm
Senior User
you got a good steal for $200 bucks but you dont have a highboy just a 150 , so to fit those tires you would need at least a 4" suspnesion lift and 2-3" body. If you dont like body lift you may need a 6". there are other ways of getting lift to like flipping shackles and such.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 PM
dorkpunch
Tuned
Just out of curiousity, anyone know the distance between the center of the hub straight up to the bottom of the fender on a Highboy?

Got step one done this morning- yanked the motor. 6 bolts holding it in, and 5 or six wires / hoses. Seemed way to easy. Now that I know how to do it, probably wouldnt take more than 1/2 an hour if you were in a hurry!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
Just out of curiousity, anyone know the distance between the center of the hub straight up to the bottom of the fender on a Highboy?

When new approx. 26 inches, after 35-40yrs. of abuse anywhere from 24-26 inches.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Squirrel Man Sam
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the cyclone come with the truck for $200? : D

Old 05-07-2011, 10:01 PM
dorkpunch
Tuned
Thanks Montana. Mine measures 22", so I'd be about 4 inches shy of fitting tires that big. No biggie, I'll figure something else out.

Squirrel-Its actually a Liquifire with a cyclone hood. A friend gave me three of them in return for fixing his bike. The one in the truck has a bad motor, one I've got going and had some fun on this last winter, and the other has a torn up tunnel but good motor. Planning on keeping one stock / decent shape and stuffing some newer suspension / slightly longer track under the other, maybe a bit bigger motor too. For a 440, these things FLY. It doesnt get there as quick, but its almost as fast on top as my brothers Cat 600.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Squirrel Man Sam
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice lookin sled man. I think those years JD's were probably the best lookin design John Deere ran on their sleds. I used to ride mainly Kawi sleds, but I still wouldn't mind runnin one of those Koritz powered Deere's in the future.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 PM
TOPHER1978F150
Junior User
Originally Posted by jmm
you got a good steal for $200 bucks but you dont have a highboy just a 150 , so to fit those tires you would need at least a 4" suspnesion lift and 2-3" body. If you dont like body lift you may need a 6". there are other ways of getting lift to like flipping shackles and such.
I beg to differ with that opinion. I have 35 x 12.5's on ten inch wide wheel on my '78 F-150. They don't rub at all. 37's would fit easy with a 3 inch suspension lift.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 AM
jmm
Senior User
they make 3" suspension lifts? not sure if ive heard of one? or are you talking 3"blocks?

Old 05-08-2011, 01:49 PM
dorkpunch
Tuned
Few more pics from yesterday. Took quite a few, just in case I cant remember where stuff goes. Dont think thatll be a problem with this engine...

Dont go around corners to fast, or oil will slosh out. If you look really close, you can see the big gap around the dipstick tube as well... Sad part is I had really cleaned the engine off good about 400 miles before this...

Oil leaking out the front. I love the fact that it only has one belt. No power steering, remember?

Oil leaking out the back. Quite a bit of oil in there, which is probably why my clutch shudders so bad. See them two wires on the left side? Those two wires, the alternator, and the battery cables are IT.

Manifold side, yes there are ONLY TWO vacuum lines. One for the vacuum advance on the dizzy and one for the brakes.

Other side.

You might notice a brand new dizzy if you look close. Funny story- I had done a basic tune up when I got it. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, carb rebuild, air filter, everything but change the oil since this motor was self-changing. Drove it all winter. One beautifull spring afternoon on the way home from school I thought to myself, "man, this truck has been pretty dang reliable". Not 30 seconds later- BANG spluttter pop pop chuuuuuuuuugggggg fart. Dead as a doornail. Turns out the wieghts for the advance in the distributor let go and blew it up. Towed it 1/2 a mile home. Thats what I get for thinking...

Old 05-09-2011, 11:56 PM
dorkpunch
Tuned
Progress today... Not much. Spent some time with the fam, drug home a new project, cleaned up the garage a bit cause the scouts are coming over to learn about "farm mechanics".

Bell housing and clutch off.

Pretty glazed, with a light coat of oil all over...

Other side:

K guys, question... See the teeth? Should I worry about replacing the flywheel? It has never ground or skipped on me the entire time I've had it. This section is the worst, there are three spots like this evenly spaced around the flywheel.

Quick Reply: Got a stupid question... EDITED- My '76 F150 Build.