1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bad news, I gotta pull the flathead....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Bad news, I gotta pull the flathead....

During my first drive I had a bad vibration I thought was driveline related. Turns out it's engine related....
First problem was the fan is bent, causing most of the vibration. No big deal, find another fan blade.
I also had a lot of valve noise.....so I decided to pull the intake while the generator and fan were out of the way. I wanted to check the lash and see what all the racket was about.
Let's just say the clearances are excessive..... I rebuilt this engine 10-15 years ago and really don't remember the details. I must have been using a paint stick for a feeler gauge though.
So out it comes, might as well check everything while I'm at it. Who knows what else is screwed up.
Kind of a bummer, still haven't really got to drive it...
One of my buddy's has a fresh SBC for sale.....hmmm I wonder????

Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 PM
jb50F1
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
SBC? - DON'T DO IT

Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news, right at the beginning of summer too, good luck getting it back on the road.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to hear that the flathead needs rebuilt. I know they can get expensive to work on. Wish there was a flathead for sale (not for very much money) near you that you could use while rebuilding your flathead...but thats like finding a needle in a hay stack.

PS: Its just as easy to drop a SBF in as it is a SBC LOL

Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 PM
tinman52
Welder User

I should clarify......My motor IS rebuilt. I just did a half assed job on it years ago. This project wasn't supposed to take 20 years to finish. I will pull the heads, fix the valves, and re-assemble. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours.....right? Right???

I was just kidding about the SBC....once you go FLAT, you never go back!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Glad to hear the SBC was a joke. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Flatheads aren't that hard to find around here ~ after all this IS Flathead County!

At least you know what you're doing Scott.... a couple of hours sounds about right

Old 05-07-2011, 08:36 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Tim, if I knew what I was doing....I wouldn't be doing it OVER. Live and learn I guess. Couple weeks is more like it, I was trying to put a positive spin on it.

Hey, you wouldn't have an extra fan laying around, would ya? Buddy?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:46 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Might... which fan are you looking for? Ford only made about 17 different variations. I know I don't have any for thin belts.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:31 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
My F1 came with an unfinished rebuilt 8BA. I pulled the heads off and I found it packed with corn. dang mice. The pistons were stamped STD, and everything looked good except a couple rusty valves and a couple minor veins of rust in a couple of the cylinder walls. Plan is take it apart, go through it, and put it back together. About all I'm in for are new gaskets so far. Hopefully that's all you have to do as well. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2011, 11:52 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Tinman, I'm curious what your clearances are, that it's making a lot of noise? I have 3 valves that are at least 0.020" clearance, and one of them is really annoying. (Not enough that I've done anything about it tho) It's amazing how quiet they are with proper clearance.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Ok... Don't hate the Darkside... Honestly, if I had a flathead (I6 or V8), I would have tried to rebuild it before I embraced the Darkside... But since I didn't have either one I have a SBC and proud of it! It's all mine!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Ken Newman
Laughing Gas
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
SBCs are great engines for Chevys. SBFs and BBFs are great engines for Fords. When starting from scratch I have to wonder why folks think the Chevys are a better choice for their old Fords. The production Ford blocks actually have a higher nickel content compared to the Chevys which makes them last much longer....... I'll be quiet now.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:21 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Clearances...

It seems to be just the exhaust valves for some reason.....one is really loose. Like 0.038 loose! Others range from .020-.025. Not sure WHY they are so loose. Engine has stock non adjustable lifters......I vaguely remember the valves being too long and grinding the ends on the bench grinder??? LOL, must been all of the paint fumes I was breathin back then....bottom line, this is all my own fault.
BTW, I did a comp test first to make sure the valves weren't sticking open...it turned out fine. All cyls are real close.

I have decided to not pull the motor just the heads, and put some new valves in. The guides are still free, so it should be fairly simple. Fingers crossed.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Thats a fun job to do with the engine in the truck! but probably better I guess.
I was going to say the same thing as Tim. Seems like Up north there you should be able to drive a couple miles and find any number of old farm trucks with flatheads in them.
I'm in Salt Lake and everytime I drive into Idaho I could get sidetracked every couple miles. then there's Montana! Gets even better!

I've got a (supposed rebuilt engine from about 2002) that I don't think has very many miles on it since rebuild and Is going to go in my F6 project. I had driven the donor truck and seemed to run good and good compression but did have a slight tick or valve? noise? not 100% sure but I also plan on pulling intake at least to see whats going on in there?? kinda hoping that I find adjustables if any adjustments are required...

btw when your done with your valve job your welcome to come down here to breathe some more paint fumes! lol I need someone who can paint to spray my F6 I like your paint job

Good luck

Josh

Quick Reply: Bad news, I gotta pull the flathead....