1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How Do You Work On Your Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do You Work On Your Truck?

Back in the 50's my Dad and a bunch of buddies who were into building hot rods had a "club" called the "Piston Pushers". They would get together in each others garage or shop and work on their projects. We've got some cool pics of the guys and their rides. We even hosted a reunion of this group a few years ago. My question is do any of you do that type of thing these days or are there more of you that would rather work on your own? I'm in an antique car club but not many seem to get together to work on their vehicles. There's alot of motivation reading the great info on this site but if I actually had all of you in the shop with me I think I'd get alot more done!

Your thoughts?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Rojak
There's alot of motivation reading the great info on this site but if I actually had all of you in the shop with me I think I'd get alot more done!
Give us your address.When's dinner?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got a couple of buddy's that come over and help and we do work on each other's rides but most of my "Real" friends live too far away. One of them is coming down in a couple of weeks to see me and we're goin to put A/C on his truck I do wish we had a gated community for all of us FTE guys to live in and hang out and work with each other. It would be alot of fun. There's alot of you guys on here I'd like to meet in person

Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't.

At least not for awhile. Hope to get back to it, soon.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I'm pretty much on my own, but now my youngest is getting into working on my trucks so he'll help out once in a while.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I have a couple friends that will come to help me lift what I can't do by myself. Mostly, I work alone or with my girlfriend who has helped a little bit here and there.

It would be nice to have some friends with more interest in my truck that lived close by.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
It would be nice to have some friends with more interest in my truck that lived close by.
I feel yer pain. Living in a cave, uh... I mean the sticks, means being by yourself doing all the lifting. Nothing but dirt, grass, and MN clay, so nothing is easy. I'm planning on building more jigs and fixtures than anything this year. Wish I had a tractor.

Heck, I wish I had concrete.

This Tshirt was made for me, lol.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
I have a few good friends, including my dad, who will help me when it comes time to remove the cab, pull the engine, etc. Same goes with my farm work. But otherwise I am on my own. And that's better with me considering my hectic schedule with my kids' baseball, farm work, etc. The kids come first. The truck will always be there.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 PM
robertr
Senior User
Most of the work I do is on my own, but there are times when a couple of buddies appear to help, although the word help is probably wrong. Mostly it is a gab session with a few twists of a wrench now and then. Still great fun though just to have the moral support and advise.

I do depend on help from several friends across the country and even in Australia to get things done. We share a lot of info via emails, which just might be the garage of these days.

A related and poignant story appeared in the most recent Rod & Custom magazine. A local hot rodder, Russ Freund, from here in Spokane who has built a number of amazing cars, got his latest on the cover of the magazine, and from what was described in the story, it was done with a lot of club help .... just like decades ago. It was a very nice trip back to older times in many ways, and an honor to his father, as just last week Claude passed on unexpectedly.

RG in Spokane

Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Brian's 48
Senior User
Just me, myself and I, we have great conversations and nobody bothers us!
It's my therapy.
Brian

Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
I have a couple friends that will come to help me lift what I can't do by myself. Mostly, I work alone or with my girlfriend who has helped a little bit here and there.

what he said..

Sam

Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a few friends that I can call and they will come over to give me a hand... but like many of you most of my friends don't want to work on old trucks they think it's cool but they want to be in their new cars... Most of them just want to stand there and talk about crap.... or what I want to do to it...

Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Well, I work on mine 95% of the time by myself. My dad helps me with the tedious parts of the build but all of the blood and sweet parts are mine lol My Brother in-law did come over once and helped me scuff up the frame to put another coat of the rustoleum hammered on it but that was it.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 PM
windsor8689
Senior User
i feel you havi , Im also in the sticks....or wilderness.....with no one but me and my ol' buddy with 3 legs (dog that is)
Hey since i have some of you guys in my "cyber garage" I need an a opinion on the height of my motor.....

Is this motor sitting a little low? SBF/C4.....when i step back it looks really low but then again the tranny could only go so high...but then again I have a big space to fill.....

Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 PM
SunDown
Senior User
our club is made up of truck people... most of us go from garage to garage helping each other as needed. I do love the time with the guys but find that I can get more done on my truck when I am by myself. That sounds terrible but it can be a motivation too. Knowing that everyone is going to be over on a sat afternoon can motivate you get that certain difficult segment of the project done to wow the guys as they arrive.

for instance, I would love to get this mod 4.6l into the truck and semi-wired so it will start before the guys swing back by... will it happen.... prob not, I am in the middle of bagging the truck.

Quick Reply: How Do You Work On Your Truck?