Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DTC 1211 on stock PDS under load.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
rshosted
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTC 1211 on stock PDS under load.

Ok, I've lurked here for a long time and have a few questions. I've researched the crap out of the 1211 DTC, but haven't found one with a stock truck! (I must be slow...). Anyway, Here's how I pulled it:

Towing a large 8K trailer up a large grade. Every time I go up a large grade with a very heavy load, it shows a 1211 code. Everything else seems to be running find. So from what I have learned I need to replace the ICP o-rings, and possibly the HPOP o-rings. So a question is: does this sound like it might fix the code?

I don't lose power. No chip or aftermarket part except an air intake. No noticble loss in power or black smoke.

Also if I get new HPOP o-rings do I HAVE to pull the HPOP off the engine and buy a new gasket, or can I replace them all while it is still on the engine and not buy the gasket?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Glad to see you posting instead of just lurking.

First question is what are you using to pull the codes? Can it monitor any live data?

Next, tell us about the engine oil. How many miles since the oil change? What brand & weight of oil? Any additives? Is it full?

I believe you're talking about IPR o-rings instead of ICP. I don't think that's your problem if the truck seems to run and start fine. Likewise, I wouldn't mess with HPOP o-rings unless one of them is leaking. Injector o-rings MIGHT be a possibility, but if they're leaking you'll often find a trace of oil in the bottom of the fuel bowl filter so check that.

The code is being set because the truck is trying a little harder than the computer thinks it should to perform like you're asking it to. Typically when IPR duty cycle starts to go above 50% or so. It maxes out around 64% so you've got spare capacity which is why you don't notice any performance issues.

I would suggest you figure out how much strain, acceleration or load you have to put on the motor before the light comes on and then just keep an eye on it. If the light starts to come on sooner or with less of a load, it's time to monitor some live data and figure out what's wrong. If it doesn't get worse, it may be something you can live with for a while.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM
rshosted
New User
2000 miles is all. I use a programmer I use on my ford lightning. I don't know if it will datalof since it's 'assigned' to another truck.

Also, I wouldn't say I'm totally pushing it. I have it at 80-90% of throttle when it engine check light.

I use rotella 20-50. No additives. And it is full.

I will need to check fuel bowl and see if I can data log. I'll have to plug it in and see what happens on data log screen.... Oh yeah what am I watching again if I can?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 PM
rshosted
New User
And I'm a Terrible Typist from my Phone apparently.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
If you can datalog, watch ICP psi and IPR duty cycle % and note when IPR gets over 50%

Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rshosted
2000 miles is all. I use a programmer I use on my ford lightning. I don't know if it will datalof since it's 'assigned' to another truck.

Also, I wouldn't say I'm totally pushing it. I have it at 80-90% of throttle when it engine check light.

I use rotella 20-50. No additives. And it is full.

I will need to check fuel bowl and see if I can data log. I'll have to plug it in and see what happens on data log screen.... Oh yeah what am I watching again if I can?
I am curious why you are running 20W50 shell oil in your 7.3L.. According to Shell, this is engineered for gasoline engines only... It does not have the correct spec's for using in Ford diesels.. Shell recommends Rotella T for diesels.. This might be causing your 1211 code.. SEE:
Shell Oil Lubricants - motoroil.htm

Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 PM
rshosted
New User
Sorry it was rotella t 15-40. My mistake.

And it doesn't appear to do data logging. :/

Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM
rshosted
New User
Okay so here is the update. I found no oil in my fuel filter. I have bought a scanner that does real time data. I recently replaced my ice sensor and it still reports exactly the same.

My icp is showing anywhere from 500's when idling and goes up to 2000's when driving. Although I see my ipr going up to 80's when getting on it with no load.

I'm now hoping it is a bad ipr valve and plan to pull it out today and see if I can spray brake cleaner into it. I hear they normally just get dirt in there... I'm rally hoping its not a bad hpop.

I did notice that when I off the gas on a harder run when the ipr and icp are pretty high 80-90 ipr and 2800icp and the icp will momentarily shoot up to 3500's

I'm hoping that means the oil pump is not bad. It still runs fine, starts fine too. I've also found its easier to get the code to throw when I have my 80 hp chip set so ive been doing most of my testing with that chip and that is how I get the numbers I have seen

Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Your IPR is not supposed to go high enough to reach the 80's so that's what's tripping the P1211. What kind of ICP psi are you reading when the IPR gets that high and exactly what kind of load are you putting on it?

Also FYI, this P1211 isn't any impending disaster. It simply means the computer is asking for more power than certain parts are delivering. I'm assuming the light goes out after a couple of minutes of normal driving? It's something you can easily live with for a while.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM
rshosted
New User
Ipr bad - YouTubeIf a picture is worth a thousand words, how much is. A video worth? Watch from 30-50 seconds. This is wot and no trailer.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lp-please.html

You can spend a pile of money on big oil or injectors to fix it, or just live with it for a while. It really should not be doing it with stock tuneing though. I would try a new IPR. It does not hurt to have a spare if that is not the problem.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:57 PM
rshosted
New User
Okay new ipr and it is still throwing the 1211 code. Effing oil pump may be going out...

Old 11-12-2011, 04:55 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you positive your engine is stock with no chip, tuner or programmer ?? 1211 will show up with any of these..which is normal.. I get 1211 all the time with my diablosport programmer..

Old 11-12-2011, 05:37 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How does it start when the engine is warm.
You may have a leaking injector oring.
Do a search for how to pressure test the heads. If you have one head leaking HPO pressure, that will at least narrow the search to which oring is leaking. Other signs of a pressure leak are oil in the bottom of the fuel bowl, and oil consumption that may have just recently started.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 AM
rshosted
New User
Bumping this old thread. So since I've posted I've done a few things. I only drive this truck on vacations so I'm only reminded of trouble when I use it... So that's why I'm so slow to fix/report issues.

I replaced the icp, ipr, and put in a t500 hpop. My icp/ipr are still showing 22-2400lbs and 89.6 duty cycle on big hills. Truck pulls fine but man this is getting annoying and expensive. I did add a chip which gives more power but still seems to throw code 1211.

Every other guage seems to be within specifications... On to injectors I guess. Any advise would be appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DTC 1211 on stock PDS under load.