6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DEF into fuel tank!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grantschim
Now that I've said this, I'm nervous that I'm going to do something stupid soon. That always happens when I criticize others for doing something stu..., I mean less than smart.
Funny you should say that.... Shortly after reading this thread a couple of weeks ago, I did just that...almost. Not sure how, but I was at a very small gas station near our cabin and mistakenly grabbed the gas vs. diesel pump and put it in the tank. About 1/2 a second after I pulled the trigger I realized and immediatley stopped. I had only put in about .02 gallons...next to nothing... and just switched and filled with diesel. But again, I was thinking the same thing after reading this thread and then just a few days later I did almost the same damn thing. Still can't believe I did it.

My only excuse? I have two gassers and 1 diesel. Still just stupid.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by dschuffert
Absolutely. It is disparities like this that make me suspicious and always looking for second and third opinions. I have had good experiences with a several dealers and bad experiences with the same dealers. It always seems when I find a good service writer and technical team that I start to trust, they move on somewhere else, then I have to build that relationship with the service department all over again.

I am highly suspect when the person who is selling me the engine is giving me the advice that I need to buy one because my current one is no good anymore.
Okay, please correct me if I misunderstand what you are implying. NEVER, in my previous reply to the OP (Linda Ann), did I advise that the engine was going to need replaced.
Originally Posted by dschuffert
I find it unethical when some service writers and mechanics assume we do not understand much about these very technical engines (some of us do and some do not) and try to play on our fears to drive more revenue and move more product. I also applaud the service writers and mechanics who are honest with us and collaborate to find the win-win which keeps us coming back to them in the long run. I personally would drain all the fuel from the tank and lines up to the engine mounted fuel filter and then refill with just diesel full again.
Okay, if we are talking about a 7.3L diesel or 6.0L diesel (both of which engines use a HUEI injection system), then the solution highlighted in bold red above, MIGHT suffice. But on a 6.4L and 6.7L engine where the high pressure fuel systems range anywhere between 4,000 to 26,000 psi depending on the operating conditions, one would think the lubricity properties of diesel fuel would be absolutely crucial to the proper function of the high pressure fuel system components. That said, contaminating the fuel with gasoline or DEF would absolutely do inevitable damage if the engine were ran after contamination. For those of you who think us techs are only trying to rake in the revenue, here is a copy and paste of a portion of our job aid:
Originally Posted by 6.7L Diesel Fuel System Contamination Diagnosis and Service Procedure Job Aid Page #2 of 7
Procedure A – Fuel Contaminated, Engine Started

Drain fuel tank completely by removing the tank and cleaning to prevent the possibility of reintroducing
contamination. (Dispose of contaminated fuel in accordance with local laws and regulations.)

Fill fuel tank with fresh, clean, good quality diesel fuel.
NOTE:

Leave original fuel filters, HP injection pump, fuel lines, fuel rails and injectors in place until flushing
procedure is completed to prevent contamination of replacement components.

Using an appropriate container, drain DFCM of any residual liquids.

Perform Fuel System Flush. Refer to Procedure C, below.
NOTE:

The DFCM must be inspected during filter replacement to verify no low pressure fuel system damage.

Replace both fuel filters (primary and secondary).

Replace ALL High Pressure fuel system components;

High Pressure Fuel Pump

Engine mounted high pressure fuel lines

Both high pressure fuel rails

Eight fuel injectors

Low pressure fuel injector return hose assembly

Fuel delivery pressure switch (located on the engine low pressure line near the secondary fuel filter)
NOTE:

All remaining low pressure fuel lines can be reused, if no physical damage is present.

Perform Fuel System Bleeding – Diesel Engine, in order to get the engine started. Refer to Workshop
Manual (WSM), Section 310-00.

Change engine oil and replace oil filter.
9. Using a scan tool, perform High Pressure Fuel System Test to check system for leaks. Repair as necessary.
Procedure B – Fuel Contaminated, Engine NOT Started

Drain fuel tank completely by removing the tank and cleaning to prevent the possibility of reintroducing
contamination. (Dispose of contaminated fuel in accordance with local laws and regulations.)

Fill fuel tank with fresh, clean, good quality diesel fuel.

Using an appropriate container, drain DFCM of any residual liquids.
NOTE:

The DFCM must be inspected during filter replacement to verify no low pressure fuel system damage.

Replace both fuel filters (primary and secondary).

Perform Fuel System Flush. Refer to Procedure C, below.)
Procedure C – Fuel System Flush

Remove the rear Fuel Cooler Line that returns to the fuel tank at the fuel cooler.

Install a 3' length of 3/8" rubber hose over the fuel cooler nipple.

Place the open end of the hose into a suitable container.
4. Use Scan Tool Active Commands or cycle the key to activate the low pressure fuel pump to flush the lines.

Originally Posted by dave91gt
A coworkers husband dealer located one of the first 2011's in our area. picked the truck up and started home. Check engine light came on and he turned around and took it back. They kept the truck for two days and told him to pick it up. Drove it for a few days and they took off for a Florida vacation. Halfway there, check engine light again. Truck drove OK but was louder. Took it back a few times and they never figured it out. He was talking to a friend that knows the owner of the dealership he bought it from and the guy said " you must have a red XLT". When he said yes, the guy said he knew what was wrong with his truck. Baffled, he asked "what"?!!!
The guy told him that he heard the dealership had accidentally filled the fuel tank with some DPF. They realized it when he returned it on the first trip back and they drained the tank and filled it back up with diesel. The guy had already sought a buyback and this reinforced the case. He now has a new 11 Lariat 6.7 F350. Ford swapped him out with a lower payment than on the XLT. The new one is averaging 19 mpg (I checked it out myself) with zero issues.
And the story above only perfectly illustrates why it would be necessary to have all those expensive fuel system components replaced, after making this very expensive mistake.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you have a $19,000 accident. For what it's worth, I just had a guy with his 2011 that darkened my doorstep with fuel CETANE BOOSTER put in his DEF tank that ended up being a $5000 lesson learned. The other way around though, since you mention is has been driven until it stopped running, I can tell you there is no other way around it. You are going to need to have all injectors as well as everything in the high pressure fuel system replaced to get it running properly again.
Sure looks like what you are saying in this post

Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by lakedweller
Sure looks like what you are saying in this post
Read the list of all parts listed under procedure A in the previous, then go to your nearest Ford dealer to get a price on all of the parts. It sure adds up very quickly.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:13 AM
suprdtydvr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Read the list of all parts listed under procedure A in the previous, then go to your nearest Ford dealer to get a price on all of the parts. It sure adds up very quickly.
I was reading another thread about a similar case and the end result was engine replacement. The only difference was that the dealer first attempted the procedure you posted above. It turned out that there were two of eight cylinders that were damaged as well.

The individual knew he did it prior to starting the truck. 1) He had no concept of how little water it takes to damage components and 2) had drastically overestimated the ability of the water separator(DFCM) to remove the water. It would be a good thing to post some data on both of those.

I will see if I can post a link to the thread I was reading...

Here it is....

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...ummins-287447/

Last edited by suprdtydvr; 08-18-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: added link
Old 08-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

What is sad about all this is that some of us bought a diesel engine because of the image that diesels have for robustness. The sayings, "he's tough to get started, but once he's running, he runs like a diesel" were derived from that image. I switched from gassers, because I want that robustness.

I guess we could use the line, "if you own a diesel, when it comes to fuel & DEF, you're walking on eggs".

Old 08-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This also reinforces the need for a locking fuel cap!

It sure would be easy for someone to destroy your Diesel engine and/or fuel injection system by pouring almost any fluid into the fuel tank.... and it appears that it would not have to be a large quantity of fluid.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
suprdtydvr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
What is sad about all this is that some of us bought a diesel engine because of the image that diesels have for robustness. The sayings, "he's tough to get started, but once he's running, he runs like a diesel" were derived from that image. I switched from gassers, because I want that robustness.

I guess we could use the line, "if you own a diesel, when it comes to fuel & DEF, you're walking on eggs".
I have got news for ya water was never good in any diesel including the "old ones". Injection systems have always relied on the lubricity in the fuel to lubricate components in the injection system. Replace that fuel with water and bad things will happen...... Intentionally dumping DEF into the fuel tank and proceeding to run the engine makes no statement about the engine and only underscores the importance of understanding what you are operating. Not lecturing just the way I see it.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Kep4
This also reinforces the need for a locking fuel cap!

It sure would be easy for someone to destroy your Diesel engine and/or fuel injection system by pouring almost any fluid into the fuel tank.... and it appears that it would not have to be a large quantity of fluid.

Kep4. I can see a need for both def and diesel. locking caps, It would be sad for $2 of def to cost over $20,000

Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
When I took mine in for repair my dealer assured me that any future repairs that come up due to DEF in the fuel tank will be covered by warranty. I will be getting that in writing......

Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
If this becomes a more frequent occurrence, I wonder if Ford will move the DEF fill location on future trucks.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
If this becomes a more frequent occurrence, I wonder if Ford will move the DEF fill location on future trucks.
I bet they will, or change it with something unque to make sure a mistake cannot happen.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM
suprdtydvr
Freshman User
I do know that nobody is going to add DEF to my truck but me. They are clearly labeled, different sizes... ought to be pretty easy to distinguish between the two.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by lakedweller
When I took mine in for repair my dealer assured me that any future repairs that come up due to DEF in the fuel tank will be covered by warranty. I will be getting that in writing......
That's quite a deal! Might want to video record it too.
I don't understand how FoMoCo would want to foot the bill for this in the future for any customer.
Is this something your dealer is offering?

In reality, it's the owners screw up so not really much different than pouring coolant in the oil filler tube, it's just easier with the DEF filler next to the fuel filler.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
I don't understand how FoMoCo would want to foot the bill for this in the future for any customer.
Is this something your dealer is offering?
Sounds to me like it may not have been recorded in OASIS correctly. If this is true they are really trying to help him out, but risk serious trouble if FoMoCo finds out...

Quick Reply: DEF into fuel tank!