1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Drying out the old oil bath air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
What I did for jim was to go to the K&N site and they have a search function where you can put in the maximum and minimum dimensions for the inside diameter, the outside diameter, and the height. I first checked all three dimensions Jim gave, but didn't come up with a match, so then I left the height dimension blank and did another search. It gave me a list of possibilities with the inside and outside specs and various heights. I then just looked for two that had the same inside and outside diameter and the combined heights would work, the two filters don't have to be the same heights, just combine to what is needed. The hits also give the applications for each filter so you can look for those applications in another line if you don't want to buy K&Ns. I happen to like K&Ns because they are more freeflowing than a paper filter, and they are permanent. Use their cleaning kit to wash the dirt out, then after drying you give the element a few squirts of their oil and put it back in. Highly recommended if you want max performance and/or live/drive in a dusty area.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:09 AM
garyford96
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good idea Ax, like JimG said. This is a good thread on making the mod to the air cleaner, with Carlisle next week, I may have to find another air cleaner [preserve my original] so I can put it on my 239 V8...
Gary

Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
...or, how to convert your oil bath air cleaner to use a replaceable, modern paper filter.

Here is the mission. This is the air cleaner unit from the '52 F-6 truck I'm parting out. It's a nice size piece, not overly large, and kind of attractive, actually. The idea is to modify the guts while still having it look basically stock from the exterior. Kind of like 'restomod'

I took some careful measurements and decided I needed a filter that was about 5" in diameter, and right at 5 to 5 1/4" tall. I did a lot of internet searching looking for a resource that would give sizes of filters and ran across a really great one on the K&N filter site. You can plug in any range of dimensions and it will give you a whole bunch of options to choose from, allowing you to pick the very best one. It just so happened that there is a very common filter used by GM on several different 3.8L V6 models that was the exact size I needed. For less than $10, I picked up a Fram unit, the number which was also given to me by K&N in their crossreference chart.

K&N Search by Dimension - Round Air Filter

The next step is to modify the filter section by cutting off the top and removing the mesh inside.

I pondered awhile on how best to hold the unit so it could be cut. I finally decided on clamping a 2x4 scrap in a vice and bolting the filter to it using a piece of 1/4" all thread. That held the cleaner firmly and allowed me to turn it around to cut it. I used a hack saw by hand. No power tools this time for better control of a delicate, one shot at perfection cut. It only took a couple of minutes to accomplish. The blue 3/4" tape wrapped around it gave me the perfect guide line to make a nice, even slice. It leaves about 1 3/4" hanging down from the seam. Just enough to hide the filter element when assembled.

This part can simply be discarded.

Inside the top is a wire screen that's assembled in between the top lid and body during assembly to keep the mesh packed down. It just pulls right out.

A little buffing on the cut edge with a small grinder cleans up the edge and takes the knife edge off, so you don't cut yourself while handling.

And there you have it. A perfect fit, with the air cleaner top lip just below the air deflector, lining up with the 'groove' bump in the deflector lip. All it needs now is a little cleaning and paint, and it's show ready.

The only thing wrong is after I did all this, I came to the realization that 6 cylinder carbs have a ~1/4" smaller diameter neck than V8 carbs, and it won't work on my flathead. Anyone with a 6 cylinder have a V8 air cleaner they want to trade?
Pretty cool. I may be doing this to my 67F100. Thanks for the post.