1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7500lb travel trailer dont need weight dist?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
buckmasters
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anomic
No factory tow controller. Does this truck run the brakes at all without a tbc? How much do they run?

The trailer is 27ft 6000lbs empty and 7500 max weight. I dont want to buy a bunch of crap for it becuase i only will be pulling like 10 or less weekends a year
Trailer weight is important, but not nearly as important as tongue weight (which is usually 10-15% of the trailer weight). Either put a scale under the tongue or do the math to decide if you need one. Even if you are in the clear, it never hurts to distribute that weight back onto the RV frame. No need to have your front end bouncing around and loose steering over it.

As far as a brake controller, this is a MUST. Because it will be aftermarket, it may not be fully integrated, but you can play with the gain enough to make it a smooth ride on the highway and in the city. Spend the $50. If you don't, you will be breaking the law and you'll surely jack knife the first time you lean on the brakes in an emergency situation.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Well it already has a wdh for a f150 on it so i guess that can be made to work. But the trailer will be pulled by several vehicles and i dont want to have to adjust it for each.

The tongue weight is fairly light 6000 empty 7500 max double axle.

How hard is the tbc to instal with a harnes is it just plug in and mojnt on dash?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM
buckmasters
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
It would prob need dropped one position as the superduty sits higher! Put the trailer on level land, level the tongue, and measure to the top of where the ball would couple. next get your truck on level ground, and measure the ball height on your wdh. Adjust the ball height too the trialer height. There is more to it, but this will get you in the park! (You can adjust the angle (front and back) of the ball, but I would try it where the angle is set currently). I know there is more too it, but My hitch was setup by the ppl I bought my tt from. So I never messed with it, and dont know a great deal about its workins. Unless the others are usin the same model trucks, at close too the same height, it should be setup for every truck!
The way the Ford manual says to do it (and my WDH installation instructions) is to take your initial measurements at the front wheel well. Then apply full load to the hitch and re-measure, then adjust tension on the chains until you are halfway in between those measurements. As far as changing from one vehicle to another, my F250 sits higher than my F-150 did, but it doesn't sink as much when the load is applied to it (the front on my F-150 rose over 3" with my travel trailer and no WDH. The F250 moves up a little over 1/4"). I was able to keep the same configuration all around. What matters is that when the chains are tightened, both vehicles are level and you have no bip or arch ar the hitch. Any arch is worse than a dip. With an upward arch, you risk the trailer coming off the ball when going over a large bump (such as high RR tracks). And as long as you are adding the WDH, spend a few extra $$$ and get sway control on at least one side. For this size trailer, one should be sufficient.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM
buckmasters
Senior User
Well it already has a wdh for a f150 on it so i guess that can be made to work. But the trailer will be pulled by several vehicles and i dont want to have to adjust it for each.

The tongue weight is fairly light 6000 empty 7500 max double axle.

How hard is the tbc to instal with a harnes is it just plug in and mojnt on dash?
So using the numbers you provided, the actual tongue weight can be anywhere from 600-1,125 lbs. Double check what the allowable tongue weight is, but you still can't go wrong getting the WDH. It also gives you the ability to add sway control. Comes in very handy when an 18-wheeler passes you at 80 mph.

As far as the TBC, it is VERY easy. You will get instructions with it when you buy it. On my last one, the RV dealership did it for free since I was already in there for other stuff. Took the guy all of 10 minutes. If your vehicle has a TT pkg on it, you most likely already have a harness under the dash to the right of your steering column. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
See this.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Just wanted to update. I got a tbc and the wdh adjusted by a trailer dealers shop.

Hit the scales and came in at 14,600 and my gcwr is 15000. I had full tank, fuel and fresh water tanks full. 450lbs of passengers/dogs. 100 lbs of canoes. And around 350 lbs of gear in truck bed. I carry all the heavy stuff in the truck becuase the cMper is near gvwr with just the basics.

But 400lbs of remaining capacity is not bad.

It really tows fine i have the manual i just go 1 gear lower than normal. Start in low and almost never use OD except long flats at 60mph which i dont see much. Have a nasty on ramp near me onto a 65mph highway up a decent curved hill that starts from a stop sign. This was something the 2v f150 had problems with. I have to rev it up pretty good but im doing 60+merging vs ~50 the old rig did.

Overall im happy. But single digit mpg in the mountains and low teens elsewhere towing.

Still considering a gear swap at some point

Old 08-15-2011, 07:05 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
The advice regardng a weight distributing hitch and brake controller is excellent and well intended. Even if legal and safety issues were not in the equation, the proper equipment just makes it so darn much more relaxed when towing.

I will say, if you buy from the dealers I service for, if you come without a properly set up tow vehicle, which includes a brake controller, the unit doesn't leave the lot.

If you shop Craigslist you can find perfectly good used hitches for about a $100 and even cheap brake controllers without the bells and whistles work just fine.

Stay safe and have fun with the trailer!

Steve

Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
sounds like a good setup for now.