1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Just picked up a new truck, I think I have the sickness...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:41 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just picked up a new truck, I think I have the sickness...

...The sickness of hording/stock-piling Ford trucks. Haha. Figured I'd share with you guys. I just picked up an XLT Lariat F250... SuperCab, long bed, 4x4. Has the 6.9L IDI, automatic, and the thing looks to be pretty loaded out with options (excepting a Tach). Power everything. The older gentleman that had it dumped about a thousand into it to get it all to work and back on the road. Then it quit running on him at the store. Disgusted, he decided to sell it.

The front end is ehhhh, maybe not so pretty. Any one wanna trade me an '80 style front end? AKA Grille and clear marker lights? I have a nicer grille then this one for it that I'd trade; this one isn't that great.

The bench seat was pretty much done, and wasn't year correct, so I put my other seat in it (which happened to come from an '85 Lariat).

Anyway, I plan on getting it running this weekend. Have to change one fuel tank (included with the truck), the fuel filter and bleed the system. It has it's bangs here and there, but it looks amazing underneath... No rust!

Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
A very nice beginning, indeed!

Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Coneynew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That interior is really nice shape!

PS. I am eyeing up that Red Shortbed in the background too

Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fifty, you are indeed sick. If you don't get help at Charter, please, get help somewhere.

Seriously, I think this truck is pretty awesome! F250, king cab, and 4X4 are some pretty nice features. I'm jealous, good find.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 PM
ebodell
Senior User
I prefer to think of it as saving poor, lonely, and abandoned trucks from the crusher. I have plans to open a home for discarded and forgotten trucks. My wife said that sounds like a junkyard (sometimes I do not even thinks she knows who I am).
Nevertheless, great find fifty, glad you saved her from the crusher.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Not going to lie, red and white is damn sexy on these pickups! Good save.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ebodell
I prefer to think of it as saving poor, lonely, and abandoned trucks from the crusher. I have plans to open a home for discarded and forgotten trucks. My wife said that sounds like a junkyard (sometimes I do not even thinks she knows who I am).
Nevertheless, great find fifty, glad you saved her from the crusher.
No ebodell, what you are doing here is called "enabling". Fifty has taken a brave first step and admitted he has a problem. I think the best next step for him to take in his recovery is to sell me this truck at cost (after he has fixed whatever odds and ends need fixing, of course).

Old 04-29-2011, 09:46 PM
ebodell
Senior User
My wife calls it the same thing. At which point I say yes dear and make plans to store my next purchase at my hunting buddy's farm.
Sometimes she just stares at me for long periods of time after I show her an auction posting or she notices that I am cruising craigslist. Not sure what she is thinking but it really makes me nervous and I end up buying her shoes or something like that. I once asked her "what part of the property would least notice that anything new was parked on?". Not a real smart thing to say while looking at a combine on craigslist. The statement "don't go behind the barn because we have coyotes back there" ended up costing me an ipad (I had to buy her one).
I never claimed to have good social skills.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Hehe, thanks guys. I like to think of FTE as my support group. Wait a minute...

She sure did look lonely and sad. My buddy and his brothers (good friends of mine) and myself took a 350mi round trip to get it. Towing it back, it kind of looked relieved.

I've got to give her a good power washing and hopefully get her running Sunday afternoon. The plan is to clean it up, put an '80 Front end on it (F O R D across the hood, clear markers and the '80-81 grille to match my Flareside) and get it repainted the same red color as the F100 (bright red) and Oxford white to replace the Wimbledon white. I always loved the red and white combo on these trucks. I think that and a set of "Powerstroke" era Alcoas would make it pop too, though my father thinks I should do the wheels buff like his Econoline with hub caps. I'm not sure where to find hub caps that would work with these hubs. I'm going to rummage around and find a tach set up. I can't stand empty gauges spaces... or not having a tach.

Can anybody give me a hand decoding the Cert label... I can't seem to find where the heck all the codes are. There's gotta be some kind of book for this...

Originally Posted by ebodell
My wife calls it the same thing. At which point I say yes dear and make plans to store my next purchase at my hunting buddy's farm.
Sometimes she just stares at me for long periods of time after I show her an auction posting or she notices that I am cruising craigslist. Not sure what she is thinking but it really makes me nervous and I end up buying her shoes or something like that. I once asked her "what part of the property would least notice that anything new was parked on?". Not a real smart thing to say while looking at a combine on craigslist. The statement "don't go behind the barn because we have coyotes back there" ended up costing me an ipad (I had to buy her one).
I never claimed to have good social skills.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fiftyfordfloored

Can anybody give me a hand decoding the Cert label... I can't seem to find where the heck all the codes are. There's gotta be some kind of book for this...

What are you trying to decode

Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 AM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
What are you trying to decode
Interior code, axle code, etc. There was a book or an online source I found before with all of them listed but I can't seem to find it now.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:25 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I have a 1981 manual, much of it is the same but not all so I'm letting somebody with the later manuals chime in if they see this. Available colors & interior options changed over the years, and I can't read what that 3 and 9 K are referring to. About the only thing I'm reasonably confident in saying is that K is a C6 transmission but I could be wrong there so don't take me as God.

(I'll say this, though - I suspect those guys would appreciate a clearer picture where you can read the tiny blue lettering at the bottom.)

And John, if you truly have this sickness in its advanced stages, you'll soon have factory shop manuals that will tell you most everything you want to know.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:15 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
9 says spring above it, axle 39 (should be 3.54), Me thnks DDM is the color, but i could be wrong

Old 04-30-2011, 04:06 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 84-6.9L
9 says spring above it, axle 39 (should be 3.54), Me thnks DDM is the color, but i could be wrong
You are right on both, 39 is the axle and DDM is the interior... I'm going to try and take a better picture. My camera is half broken.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:19 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
See if you have a Macro setting for taking close-ups.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a new truck, I think I have the sickness...