Sponsored by: Moser

Pictures of painted wagon wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Thunderbird7480
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures of painted wagon wheels

I did a search, but Im having problems finding much.

I have white wagon wheels and they are looking a little rough. Just wondering if anyone has painted them a different color.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I dont have any pics, but I had a set on my 78 swb 2wd that were painted satin black and had chrome beauty rings on them with the stock red center caps. It looked really sharp and was different from everyone elses. Just FWIW...............

Old 04-29-2011, 03:01 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Painted Wagon Wheels

Here's what I started with. The shot was taken after the wheels were degreased, wet-sanded with 320-grit.

Front masked... I used a roll of overspray paper from HD and a roll of one-inch blue painter's tape.

Back masked... Yep, did the back too. I didn't want any white to show in order to maintain the stealth look of my rig that wears a camo paint scheme.

Completed.. I eventually used three cans Rustoleum Hammerite Bronze. For me the other option was dark grey. I didn't want black because then it just looks like a big black blob. If you do go black, then a contrasting line on the rim really helps accentuate the form.

Masking and taping was kinda of tedious but I'm really happy with the results. Remember, ya got either 8 or 10 sides (the spare!) to mask. It helped me mentally to complete one wheel at a time...

Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's a really nice look.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:29 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Lemme add a note if you're gonna paint your wheels:

You'll be inclined (as I was) to simply run the masking tape along the outside of the rim. However, the small lip that protrudes from the sidewall is also white. What you'll actually want to do is to mask the tire so paint can reach the outer lip.

Therefore:
Mask the tire, apply the paper (four strips per side as shown in the pic above), tape the paper to the previously applied tape, mask the valve, and then shoot the color.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Thunderbird7480
Senior User
I agree that all black is too much. I was actually thinking like what 78 PEB is saying about black with the trim ring and chrome center cap.

HIO, Those wheels look sharp. I have seen your truck in the thread on grill insert painting I think. Hadnt noticed the wheels though. They probably compliment the cam paint well.

The Hammerrite may be a great idea, though I would likely go a different color. I was actually tossing around the thought of going with an Argent. The truck will be satin black (John Deere) so I think just satin black on the wheels would "black-out" the truck too much for my taste. I like shiney trim and accessories for contrast. I know that Hammerite has a lighter color like this and it would hide imperfections really well.

Any ideas on the best places to find a good selection of center caps?

Old 04-29-2011, 03:45 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
What did you do about the wheel balancing weights?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Thunderbird7480
Senior User
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
What did you do about the wheel balancing weights?
You can take them off, mark the spot with a crossways piece of tape on the tire and clamp them back on when its cured. It may be off a little in balance, but paint, dirt, grease, and rocks make it off no matter what.

You can also paint over them, but I suspect that its harder to make that look good.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:36 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had black wagon wheels on my old truck, they had a couple little blue and red pinstripes but it was minimal, and they looked great.

I agree black on black is not the way to go most of the time, but with certain trucks I think it really looks great. Look at my gallery.

AleX

Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Thunderbird7480
You can also paint over them, but I suspect that its harder to make that look good.
Yep, painted right over mine. Not a big deal. Hammerite is easy enough to touch up... Besides, when new tires are needed, the installer's machine will scrape along the outer lip anyway.

I agree that all black is too much. I was actually thinking like what 78 PEB is saying about black with the trim ring and chrome center cap.

HIO, Those wheels look sharp. I have seen your truck in the thread on grill insert painting I think. Hadnt noticed the wheels though. They probably compliment the cam paint well.
Thanks. Yep, that's me with the grill insert thing. With my rig, I wanted it to be individual without going overboard with a bunch of goo-gaws. I mean, good design doesn't have to cost alot. It's the attention to detail that really matters. I like subtlety, not the in-yer-face kinda approach. ...Arright.. I guess the camo is kinda in yer face but my rig is parked in the street right now and ya can't really make it out until yer 30 or so yards from it.. then you'll say "Oh, there's a truck!"

The Hammerrite may be a great idea, though I would likely go a different color. I was actually tossing around the thought of going with an Argent. The truck will be satin black (John Deere) so I think just satin black on the wheels would "black-out" the truck too much for my taste. I like shiney trim and accessories for contrast. I know that Hammerite has a lighter color like this and it would hide imperfections really well.

Any ideas on the best places to find a good selection of center caps?
Correctamundo.. my wheels had rust spots so the Hammerite added visual texture... to match the rust spots! Btw, argent will look like white (or very light) from far away... it's like looking at a piece of aluminum from a distance. Try the Hammerite in dark grey... black, grey, chrome.. I'm digging it. Have you considered a brushed-look instead of chrome? I mean, chrome is easy enough to wet-sand and then clear coat.

Center caps? Jeeps use the same 5.5 lug pattern. I say take a look at what they use. Cool if it has no Jeep logo but perhaps a Ford emblem can be inserted in the middle. Even a decal might work.

Originally Posted by nothercrash
I had black wagon wheels on my old truck, they had a couple little blue and red pinstripes but it was minimal, and they looked great.
I agree black on black is not the way to go most of the time, but with certain trucks I think it really looks great. Look at my gallery.
Concur... it really depends.

Ah yes, the American Racing 767s.. I like those. I just got a 70 2WD Bumpside and was thinking to do a NASCAR theme on it (without the decals).... 767s with yellow lettered tires (using a paint pen from Duplicolor)... Lowered, custom front spoiler and splitter, boxed rockers, side exit exhausts, rear tonneau, rear spoiler, roll pan.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:21 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're right, they were AR's I guess, not just standard wagon wheels.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
... For me the other option was dark grey. I didn't want black because then it just looks like a big black blob. If you do go black, then a contrasting line on the rim really helps accentuate the form.
Some chrome beauty rings, lug nugs and center caps could really make a set of black wheels stand out (I'd like to get some for my rig eventually) Painting the whole wheel silver looks real nice too. But I really like what you did with yours, it matches your paint scheme very nicely.

Sam

Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
supercabfreak
Elder User
were there any "dog dish" style hub caps for wagon spoke wheels ive ben lookin for a set for my 1ton but i dont like the 8 lug look on the front

Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 PM
justforkicks
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supercabfreak
were there any "dog dish" style hub caps for wagon spoke wheels ive ben lookin for a set for my 1ton but i dont like the 8 lug look on the front
to my knowledge, that would be a negative. the dog dishes would cover up the spokes on them, so they wouldn't look quite right. you can always get center caps off summit to cover up the hub.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Thunderbird7480
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Center caps? Jeeps use the same 5.5 lug pattern. I say take a look at what they use. Cool if it has no Jeep logo but perhaps a Ford emblem can be inserted in the middle. Even a decal might work.
Funny you should mention that. It has Jeep center caps on it now. They do say Jeep on them, but they make up for that by not looking good at all.

I will check out the selection of center caps and the different hammerrite colors. Keep the pics coming. Looking for cool center caps now too.

Quick Reply: Pictures of painted wagon wheels