1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FX4 vs. 4X4 vs. Off Road - what's the diff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FX4 vs. 4X4 vs. Off Road - what's the diff?

Just wondering, I'm guessing it would be suspension-related more than anything. What I don't want is anything specifically designed to go off road, just need four wheel drive in case my trailer gets stuck with horses in it (it has happened...). Can someone tell me what the difference is, and is one preferable over the over?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 2horses
Just wondering, I'm guessing it would be suspension-related more than anything. What I don't want is anything specifically designed to go off road, just need four wheel drive in case my trailer gets stuck with horses in it (it has happened...). Can someone tell me what the difference is, and is one preferable over the over?
The FX4 has some different options interior wise, and rancho shocks (not great ones), and may have an extra skidplate or 2. I think if it is a diesel 4X4 it has a limited slip no matter what package it has! (only what I have noticed in my neck of the woods). Basically not a huge differance. Any of the three will work for your needs! Some ppl around hear say gearing is different, but that is moot, as the truck coulda been made with any of the gearsets available that year. Are you talking 2005-2010? The 11's I dont follow much. Actually since I got my 06, I dont particually follow any years! I like this truck alot, and just dont research much else!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Depends on the year. Sometimes FX4 is just some accessories, other times FX4 is a trim level between XLT and Lariat.

4 x 4 just means that it is a 4WD.

4x4 Offroad is an earlier version of FX4.

For the most part, 4x4 Offroad and FX4 gets you skid plates under the transfer case and fuel tank, all-terrain tires, limited slip diff, shocks that say Rancho but really aren't, and a decal on the rear quarter flank.

For years where FX4 is a trim level ('08 and up IIRC), it gets you all the equipment of an XLT, plus the accessories I mentioned above, and maybe a few of the Lariat trim stuff, plus painted grille and mirror covers.

Other than being a 4WD, none of these things make any changes to the drivetrain, frame, body, etc. Same basic truck.

It is also interesting to note that F150 equipment for the various trim levels is totally different than the Superduty line. Even though they use the same names, the similarity stops there.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
HUH! I had no idea it had to do with the trim level, never would have made the connection. Interesting! And thanks!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:13 PM
V10ZILLA
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all has to do with the year of your truck. Both FX4 and 4X4 have the same stuff. Ford just called them different depending on your year.

I have a 2009 XLT V10 with the 4X4 package. It has the rancho shocks (if you can call them that). Skid plates, All-terrain tires, limited slip, and a nice pretty decal that says 4X4 on the rear sides.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
AlmightyCrash
Freshman User
How can I find out which mine is?
Id like to put graphics on the side/rear area, but don't know which to put there.
Help, please?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
You would need to tell us about your truck, AlmightCrash, before we could tell you what decal you would need and where to stick it.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:52 PM
AlmightyCrash
Freshman User
2000 F-250 Supercab
7.3l Turbo Diesel
6speed manual transmission
4wd

For more details and mods...visit my truck thread.
Nocturnal Overkill

Thanks!
And such a quick response! You guys are great!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:33 PM
TosaFords
Tuned
FX4 isn't a trim level on the 2011-2012. It's just an accessory package.

Includes:
All-Terrain tires
Rancho branded shocks(Ford shocks painted White with a Rancho Sticker)
Transfer Case and Fuel Tank Skid Plates
Hill Descent Control

It requires that you get a Limited Slip axle on the DRW trucks and an Electronic Locking axle on the SRW trucks. Also requires 4x4.

You can get the FX4 package on any trim level(XL/XLT/Lariat/KIng Ranch).

Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I can say with authenticity the 2006 Diesel 4x4 model comes with open diffs unless limited slip or other locker is selected as an option. I found that out the hard way with mine the first night home . I had to back into a muddy area on my acess road to my house to let another vehciel go by and when I tried to pull back on the road, no dice, I was able to place it in 4wd and extricate myself from an embarrasing situation with my wife in the truck ("I thought this was a four wheel drive, yes dear it is")

It now has Yukon Gear Grizzly locker in the rear diff and an Eaton E locker up front, with the same 4x4 decal/badging

If I recall the FX4 was shocks and skid pates, limited slip diff, no locker was offered in the front. Don't know about the 3rd version given.
-Mark

Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by TosaFords
FX4 isn't a trim level on the 2011-2012. It's just an accessory package.

Includes:
All-Terrain tires
Rancho branded shocks(Ford shocks painted White with a Rancho Sticker)
Transfer Case and Fuel Tank Skid Plates
Hill Descent Control

It requires that you get a Limited Slip axle on the DRW trucks and an Electronic Locking axle on the SRW trucks. Also requires 4x4.

You can get the FX4 package on any trim level(XL/XLT/Lariat/KIng Ranch).
X2. On the 150's FX4 is its own trim level and completly different from your Super Duty.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
2000 F-250 Supercab
7.3l Turbo Diesel
6speed manual transmission
4wd

For more details and mods...visit my truck thread.
Nocturnal Overkill

Thanks!
And such a quick response! You guys are great!
In 2000 you would only have a 4 X 4 or a 4X4 Off Road, the difference only being skid plates.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 PM
AlmightyCrash
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
In 2000 you would only have a 4 X 4 or a 4X4 Off Road, the difference only being skid plates.
Thanks!!
I just didn't want to look stupid or get made fun of for putting the wrong thing on. No skid plates, so it looks like 4x4 it is!
Now I just have to find the decals and hope they adhere to the Rhinoliner.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Buck268
Elder User
Originally Posted by bpounds
Depends on the year. Sometimes FX4 is just some accessories, other times FX4 is a trim level between XLT and Lariat.

4 x 4 just means that it is a 4WD.

4x4 Offroad is an earlier version of FX4.

For the most part, 4x4 Offroad and FX4 gets you skid plates under the transfer case and fuel tank, all-terrain tires, limited slip diff, shocks that say Rancho but really aren't, and a decal on the rear quarter flank.

For years where FX4 is a trim level ('08 and up IIRC), it gets you all the equipment of an XLT, plus the accessories I mentioned above, and maybe a few of the Lariat trim stuff, plus painted grille and mirror covers.

Other than being a 4WD, none of these things make any changes to the drivetrain, frame, body, etc. Same basic truck.

It is also interesting to note that F150 equipment for the various trim levels is totally different than the Superduty line. Even though they use the same names, the similarity stops there.
My '99 F250 has skid plates with an open diff... but maybe that's just too old to count.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
Thanks!!
I just didn't want to look stupid or get made fun of for putting the wrong thing on. No skid plates, so it looks like 4x4 it is!
Now I just have to find the decals and hope they adhere to the Rhinoliner.
I don't think anyone is going to look under your truck to see if you have skid plates to go with your stickers.

I don't know, but I don't think the stickers will adhere to rhinoliner. The first "mod" I made when I got my truck home was to remove the 4X4 OFF ROAD stickers. I like to keep people guessing what my truck is.

Quick Reply: FX4 vs. 4X4 vs. Off Road - what's the diff?