1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Ailing Np205. Repair? Replace? Just live with it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:06 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ailing Np205. Repair? Replace? Just live with it?

Well I think I finally found the source of that STUUUPID noise I've been having in my truck for around a year. The rear output shaft of my Np205 T case (and possibly alot of the other internals).

As much as I would like to just be noise (and worry) free though, I'm kind of just having a hard time justifying bothering with the darn thing. It leaks like a sivve out of both outputs and the married input joint, the output shaft makes a horrible grinding noise anytime I'm in drive, and it wants to rattle out of gear every time I brake or accelerate in 4X4. It seems just generally loose and old.

My question though is what to do about it? I raaarely use 4wd, and when I do it is almost never in a last resort, uhoh I'm stuck type of a sense, plus this still functions now. I wouldn't mind the noise if I could be positive it was the T case, but that's just where I *think* I've isolated it too finally, so it still makes me nervous to hear. But I'm not sure what a T case failure would do to my normal 2wd function?

I can get a used one from a friend for like 75$, but they are such a huuuge hassle to put in and take out, and 75 bucks is 75 bucks.

What do you guys think, or know? What I'd love is some cheap easy way to rebuild say, just the rear output housing. But a bearing and seal kit is 100$ plus, and even just the seals are like 50$......

Give me your input here, it's really bugging me. Thanks, AleX

Old 04-27-2011, 04:12 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally 205s are tuff as hell and it will be the only part that will outlive EVERYTHING else. But if it leaks and you may think it's your troubles I say drop it out and get another. Now here's where you can take advantage of this situation. Before the new one goes in Replace the gaskets on the bearing retainers and yoke seals then twin stick the case! There's write ups online all you do is pull the shift rail and grind a very precise 7/16" longer groove. When reinstalled you now have the ability to run 2wd LOW(as normally it's only high)
And be able to run rear in neutral and run front only high or low. With the grinding done right it shouldn't be able to go high in the front , low in the back or vise versa causing damage. Now if you run a good line lock in the rear brakes while out wheeling you can lock rear brakes engage in front wheel drive , turn tires in whichever direction and gas it Turing truck on a dime.
Now also say if you blew out a rear driveshaft you can engage to front drive only and get home with no spinning parts to rear.
Another plus is stiff linkage will become easier to shift when controls are individual like I noticed..
You'll have to fit another shifter but it's easy and I got tips for that.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Here's the link I followed over a year ago.

How to: NP 205 twin stick CHEAP! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Best part is the mod costs nothing.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
impalaslayer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 73 ford guy
Here's the link I followed over a year ago.

How to: NP 205 twin stick CHEAP! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Best part is the mod costs nothing.
he doesn't mention pulling the rest of the case apart to reinstall the pins and access plugs

Old 04-27-2011, 05:03 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
I dunno... Didnt read the whole thread. Looked like the one I used.
Find another link then.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Yaaaa ya I know that the T case is generally the part to outlive them all, but whoever owned my truck in the past just absolutely beat the p!ss out of the thing, and now with this T case failure, it just completes the list of things that have failed on this truck since I bought it. Literally every major part aside from the rear axle has been replaced or completely rebuilt, out of necessity.

That said stupid me did drop this T case onto its output shaft last summer when I was doing the trans, so it's not entirely it's fault.....

But OOOOK thanks for the input. What I'm really wondering is is there any reasonable way to remove and replace just the output housing? Or just that bearing? Can you even buy just one bearing?

As far as that mod though, I'm not totally sure I see the advantages, but 2 sticks sounds cool haha, and I love the little custom things. Would I have to buy a gasket set to do that though? Or could I just use silicone for everything I need to take apart to twin stick it?

Money is really really tight right now...

Thanks for the help! AleX

Old 04-27-2011, 06:08 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Just told you the advantages and it cost nothing but some silicone to reseal and the output seals 10$??Well unless you charge yourself by an hourly rate....

Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nothercrash
Yaaaa ya I know that the T case is generally the part to outlive them all, but whoever owned my truck in the past just absolutely beat the p!ss out of the thing, and now with this T case failure, it just completes the list of things that have failed on this truck since I bought it. Literally every major part aside from the rear axle has been replaced or completely rebuilt, out of necessity.

That said stupid me did drop this T case onto its output shaft last summer when I was doing the trans, so it's not entirely it's fault.....

But OOOOK thanks for the input. What I'm really wondering is is there any reasonable way to remove and replace just the output housing? Or just that bearing? Can you even buy just one bearing?

As far as that mod though, I'm not totally sure I see the advantages, but 2 sticks sounds cool haha, and I love the little custom things. Would I have to buy a gasket set to do that though? Or could I just use silicone for everything I need to take apart to twin stick it?

Money is really really tight right now...

Thanks for the help! AleX
Read some threads on it . It's just taking out a shift rail and grinding. So simple

Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
OK right I meant the advantages for me. I don't use the truck for wheeling, just a little miiiild off road with my friends when I need to show em up in their new trucks haha, but I agree, it is very cool. Thanks for making me aware of it.

Impala brings up an interesting question though, how did yooou reinstall that pin and plug? Do you have to open up the whole case? Just want to know what I'm getting into.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:18 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
You don't have to be a hard core wheeler for advantages. If your rear driveshaft breaks throw it in 2wd front only. Shifters stiff... Now that's it's individual it glides like a dream!
As for pin I think you open inspection cover and you pull it out... Not rocket science... Read it again

Link in the already posted link

http://ivanribic.clubfte.com/page2.html