427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
I edited it..

Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
It's always frustrating to deal with somebody who has a different opinion.

But, thats how life is. =)

Old 04-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Krisx125
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ohhh keith stone...

Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chase, are you sure that you are recovering well enough to consider a 5 spd this soon after such serious injuries? I bought my truck while still in the process of recovery from knee surgery and after I bought it the knee started telling me I made a mistake. I've heard that the DMF are a little stiffer than when converted. I'll find out about that in a week or two, going to be ordering soon from Valair. I was an auto guy for many years, until I needed a truck to tow heavy 5er and didn't want to deal with the possible tranny problems and expenses. I really like the control of the gears, but wish it had a couple more sometimes. I drive pretty slow and get about 16-17 at about 60 mph. towing the 5er I'm happy with 10. Happy to hear you are doing well, don't be in to big of a hurry for replacing, as the fuel prices rise there will be more fore sale, should be a good time to be a buyer.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by richdawg
Chase, are you sure that you are recovering well enough to consider a 5 spd this soon after such serious injuries? I bought my truck while still in the process of recovery from knee surgery and after I bought it the knee started telling me I made a mistake. I've heard that the DMF are a little stiffer than when converted. I'll find out about that in a week or two, going to be ordering soon from Valair. I was an auto guy for many years, until I needed a truck to tow heavy 5er and didn't want to deal with the possible tranny problems and expenses. I really like the control of the gears, but wish it had a couple more sometimes. I drive pretty slow and get about 16-17 at about 60 mph. towing the 5er I'm happy with 10. Happy to hear you are doing well, don't be in to big of a hurry for replacing, as the fuel prices rise there will be more fore sale, should be a good time to be a buyer.
Stiffness, to me, would be more determined by how well lubricated the throwout is.
Usually by the time you are ready to change your clutch, the throw out isn't lubricated so well.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:47 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
I like my 5spd. I like the flexibility of controlling my shifts, spooling turbo etc. When people look at my truck the say "nice...OH a 5 speed NICE". but really it depends on what you want..autos are obviously more convienent at times. I looked for a 5 speed becasue of what I had always been told about autos being the weak link for high torque. If you like the truck buy it.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
What do YOU want? Forget about power and everything else. What do you want to drive every day?
My goal with this thread wasn't to make it about how can I put the most power to the ground, which transmission is going to handle power better, or anything like that. I was hoping for a good healthy debate on the pro's and con's of the auto trans vs. the manual trans. So far it's kinda almost there

Talyn, please do me a favor and stop cluttering up this thread with useless BS post count padding. If you want to hear yourself type, make another OT thread. If you have something to actually contribute, by all means. But stop the BS!

Rich, I don't think my injuries should/will prevent me from being able to drive a stick. My major injury is to my spine, and it's well protected by a lovely brace. Actually jumping into a rig and trying to push the clutch pedal in may prove me wrong I suppose though. It should be a buyer's market right now for sure. There are plenty of trucks out there for sale. The challenge is finding the right one, that has been cared for and doesn't have a bajillion miles on it. I saw a 97 in CA that had 280k miles on it, and while it had nice fancy wheels and big tires and appeared to be very well cared for, the guy wanted $15k for it. My goal is to find another 350 CCLB, 200k miles or less (ideally 175k or less) for a reasonable price. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off. I'm not in a hurry, I want to find a good truck again. But I was browsing yesterday and came across the 97 I mentioned earlier and it meets my standards Plus the sooner I find a replacement, the less I have to drive a silly little Dodge sedan that my grandma is going to loan me until I can find a truck

Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 PM
FLATTIE
Senior User
I wish I had the 5 speed but couldn't have it all when I found my truck... I put it this way, AAMCO didnt get famous by rebuilding standard transmissions. At my job I sell THOUSANDS of rebuilt trannys in a year, less than 2% are full manual transmissions. (don't get me started on those auto shift manual POS THINGS)

Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yeah, sorry bout trying to help you out chase.
jerk.

FLATTIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by FLATTIE
I wish I had the 5 speed but couldn't have it all when I found my truck... I put it this way, AAMCO didnt get famous by rebuilding standard transmissions. At my job I sell THOUSANDS of rebuilt trannys in a year, less than 2% are full manual transmissions. (don't get me started on those auto shift manual POS THINGS)
And no I don't work for AAMCO, just saying...

Talyn
Hotshot
I forgot your the best. *bows*

Old 04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by dizzyfingers03
I don't feel like I'm in control of the automatic.
Yup, that's why I hate my E40D. I don't care how built an auto is and how fancy, it will never be in the gear I want, when I want.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
FLATTIE
Senior User
Originally Posted by FLATTIE
And no I don't work for AAMCO, just saying...

Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Yup, that's why I hate my E40D. I don't care how built an auto is and how fancy, it will never be in the gear I want, when I want.
I'll second that.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Yeah, sorry bout trying to help you out chase.
jerk.
I don't mind trying you to help, but all your BS "look at me I'm a post *****" posts aren't helping. You can't even take a simple comment without getting a butt-hurt... kinda pathetic.

Quick Reply: The great debate: Auto vs. stick