Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

rubbing noise and hot hub

Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 PM
turbill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rubbing noise and hot hub

I have a TTB 50 on my 85 6.9l
I was driving around yesterday and noticed a rubbing noise it seems like it rubs one every rotaion because it speeds up as i speed up.
When i parked i checked things out a little and felt my hub (drivers side, the side the noise was coming from) and it was hot! i touched the passenger side and it was warm but even close to hot. I figure it must be my brakes rubbing which would explain the heat and noise but i'm just looking for some feedback from wiser people.
thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Pull it apart and check the brakes. Could be a caliper sticking. Could be a bad bearing. Could be a warped rotor.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 PM
turbill
Senior User
i'm yeah those were the three things that came to mind with me, I'm guessing brake related because me and blueoval repack my bearing a few months ago. I guess i'll pull it apart tomorrow and see what i can find

Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you replace the caliper hold down pins with new ones? If not, you might have some slop from them. Also, I noticed when doing my front end bearings that the tightening method is very sensitive. Like others here have said, the instructions tell you to leave excess push pull slop in the tightening process which is odd. I preloaded the bearing, backed off, finger tightened it, gave the wheel a spin in the tightening direction and if it spun freely, I installed the lock nut and outer nut. After torquing the outer nut, I ensured the wheel spun freely. If it didn't, I started over again. My passenger side was more problematic than my driver's side. The passenger side's locking ring's pin actually pushed into the ring and wouldn't work as a lock nut. I pushed the pin back out and made sure it worked. If you don't have free spin after your outer nut is tightened, your hub will get hot.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 AM
turbill
Senior User
I dont really remember how we ended up doing all the tightening but i'll see if everything is free spinning when i'm checking, i'm doing it this afternoon so i'll post what i find. I'm leaning towards bent caliper just from how its acting but we'll see when i get in there
thank guys

Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sometimes the a piston or both can get sticky on the caliper. if thats the case, its basically ratcheting the caliper. it will push out because of the excessive pressure from the brake fluid but wont return enough to let it spin freely. when that happens you have two choices. one is to buy new calipers for both sides (not a bad idea) second is to remove it, drain the fluid, loosen the bleeder valve and shoot a quick burst of air into it to push out the pistons. you get a rebuild kit to rebuild them but before you install it you need to get a brake piston cylinder honer. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDMQ8wIwAQ#
just like one for a engine just smaller. clean up all your parts and put it back together. then while you are at it, your gonna wanna take your rotors off and have them "turned" usually costs $10-15 bucks per rotor. makes them true again and will greatly improve your stopping distance. throw some new pads on there while your at it.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when my calipers locked up i just bought new ones if it ur frist time doing this i say get new for safety resions dont even want to think of my truck hiting a fully loaded mini van cause i rebuild something wrong

Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can't be afraid of that kinda stuff joe, its not complicated at all. If you follow procedure, it will work in the end.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
let me tell u a story i was in my moms jeep. heading somewhere dont rember where. stoped at a stop sign righ when i was about to take off a kid ran right in front of me. if i was in my truck i wouldnt have seen him and i would have splatder him and i would have gona to jail. u have to remeber are trucks are heavy and if they hit soming like mini van etc its gona not be pettry not worth the gamble in my mind.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Joe, ***** happens, remember that. With your story, if you had been in the truck, and hadn't seen the kid, its not necessarily your fault. It might seem that way, and I'm sure you'd be devastated, but working brakes or not, if you didn't see him, he just jumped in front of moving truck....

Rebuild vs new depends a lot on the budget and skill of the person. I was looking at rebuilding a set of brakes for my truck, but happened on a set of rebuilt ones for a real good price on ebay, so I stopped working on rebuilding them. I completely redid the brake system on my '84 Jetta. New hard lines, new rubber lines, rebuilt the front calipers, rebuilt or replaced (can't remember) the rear cylinders. The only thing I didn't touch was the master cylinder. Its worked fine, no problems.

People today are too scared of lawyers. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to run over anyone, or plow into a van of kids. But if you live your life scared of that, its no way to be. Some idiot kid jumps in front of my truck and I don't see it, damn its gonna suck living with that, but its called evolution, he just removed himself from the gene pool for not paying attention.

I have no idea on the actual numbers, but if a tie rod blows, or a spring breaks, or the spring bolt snaps, etc... you can lose the steering just as fast as brakes. Then you have NO control over where the truck is headed... You've done a front axle swap yes? How confident are you on that work?

oops... sorry for the off topic...

Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Joe, ***** happens, remember that. With your story, if you had been in the truck, and hadn't seen the kid, its not necessarily your fault. It might seem that way, and I'm sure you'd be devastated, but working brakes or not, if you didn't see him, he just jumped in front of moving truck....

Rebuild vs new depends a lot on the budget and skill of the person. I was looking at rebuilding a set of brakes for my truck, but happened on a set of rebuilt ones for a real good price on ebay, so I stopped working on rebuilding them. I completely redid the brake system on my '84 Jetta. New hard lines, new rubber lines, rebuilt the front calipers, rebuilt or replaced (can't remember) the rear cylinders. The only thing I didn't touch was the master cylinder. Its worked fine, no problems.

People today are too scared of lawyers. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to run over anyone, or plow into a van of kids. But if you live your life scared of that, its no way to be. Some idiot kid jumps in front of my truck and I don't see it, damn its gonna suck living with that, but its called evolution, he just removed himself from the gene pool for not paying attention.

I have no idea on the actual numbers, but if a tie rod blows, or a spring breaks, or the spring bolt snaps, etc... you can lose the steering just as fast as brakes. Then you have NO control over where the truck is headed... You've done a front axle swap yes? How confident are you on that work?

yea got a good point i condent in my work cause i know my limts of what i can do and rebuilding parts is be on my limt a this point in time i plan to learn how

Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 PM
turbill
Senior User
well i checked every thing and the only thing i could see wrong was the spring on the back of the caliper was gone, and i broke off a rusted piece off the rotor shroud and the grinding noise went away.
My diagnosis is the grind noise was from the rusted piece and the excessive heat is the spring is gone so my pads are rubbing. I haven't got the spring yet but i will this weekend or something

Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tecgod13

Tecgod13,

Remember, Joe lives in CA, so he isn't even legally allowed to defend his family or property, never mind claim innocence for running over an unsupervised child running in the streets. As a matter of fact, after living in MA for several years, I think you are in the same boat. Neither state is friendly toward drivers when it comes to pedestrian accidents. Not only would he have to deal with hurting or killing a child by accident but he would be in court and sued for everything he ever earns. Add to that the possibility of jail time. I know how the liberal courts work - "guilty of at least manslaughter until proven guilty."