6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Got my Reese Sidewinder

Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure that Reese has taken all the stress issues into account before marketing the Sidewinder. There are no cautions to check with the 5er manufacture to see if it will take the stress of an extended pin box.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lakedweller
I am sure that Reese has taken all the stress issues into account before marketing the Sidewinder. There are no cautions to check with the 5er manufacture to see if it will take the stress of an extended pin box.
I just spoke with Lippert regarding this. I mentioned the Sidewinder specifically. The response was any modification to the pin box including the Sidewinder will result in any warranty being revoked. Additionally, they warned me that adding the extra length to the pin box greatly increases the amount and types of loads the frame will see and that they do not engineer for those additional loads....

So...if you use one...you're on your own. I know a lot of folks do use them, but I would not.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is beginning to look like a rvnet thread...many fiver manufacturer's install the Sidewinder on their fivers as they come off the line. It is a $600 option, IIRC. The fiver I had ordered with the Sidewinder was built on a Lippert frame.

If you want a lot of opinions, go to rvnet and search for Sidewinder. There are several long threads regarding the Sidewinder...and they all have some controversy...but like the B&W Companion hitch...I have never seen a Sidewinder owner complain about any part of their setup. They all like the somewhat easier backing up that the Sidewinder geometry provides...your money and your truck but successful owners make a good casr for buying one

Regards

Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Originally Posted by Biggziff
I just spoke with Lippert regarding this. I mentioned the Sidewinder specifically. The response was any modification to the pin box including the Sidewinder will result in any warranty being revoked. Additionally, they warned me that adding the extra length to the pin box greatly increases the amount and types of loads the frame will see and that they do not engineer for those additional loads....

So...if you use one...you're on your own. I know a lot of folks do use them, but I would not.
Been on my own for 3 years now and as far as I'm concerned even before that Gulfstream sucks for customer service, never again.....

I emailed Reese and asked them if they took the shift in weight in the hitch pin mount under consideration during design. I would think the 5er manufacturer would over build the pin box mounting area for liability reasons. They say a ladder with a 300lb rating will actually hold more, maybe 450 or 500lbs. I am not overly worried about the weight shift.

I find a bunch of guys that regularly tow over sized loads, chip the hell out of their ride and jack their trucks up to the sky are worried about a shift in weight....

Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Been on my own for 3 years now and as far as I'm concerned even before that Gulfstream sucks for customer service, never again.....
I hear ya there...We're on our 3rd new fiver and I buy them 5 hours away mainly due to the $5K I usually save. I figure anything that goes wrong I'll fix it myself anyway as anything the dealer has done in the past has been crappy, quick repairs. I'm at the point in my life where I don't tolerate shoddy work so it's less frustration to simply do it myself.

I don't doubt you'll be fine with it. I just wanted to see if you were aware of the potential issue, that's all.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rickatic
This is beginning to look like a rvnet thread...many fiver manufacturer's install the Sidewinder on their fivers as they come off the line. It is a $600 option, IIRC. The fiver I had ordered with the Sidewinder was built on a Lippert frame.
Regards
Well..that's a little harsh! RV.net?

Anyway...as I said..lots of folks use them and like them. Some people just aren't aware that there is a potential for problem and I for one would rather be forewarned.

No malice intended.

Just opened up our fiver after its first winter sleep. Felt a little clammy inside and I realized I never opened up all the roof vents last fall before putting it away...it was 87 today here so I opened all 5 roof vents and all the windows and doors and in a few hours it smelled like new again. I'm really starting to get excited about the new truck pulling this new fiver. Can't wait to fill the tank!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:20 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
None taken, that is why I love this forum. People are engaged in conversation about something we all care about, sometimes spirited, always well intentioned. I will let everyone know what Reese says if Reese says....

Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM
bastech
New User
I have read a lot of threads on the sidewinder as well. When it come to extending the pin box, most pinboxs are already extended. The sw is not that much if any longer than standard boxs. They say the frame is not built for the added pressure when its at a angle, but my thoughs are its only in a angle except when at low speeds and that is not often. I have also heard of more frames breaking, with factory boxs attached than with sw. Lippert is useing this as a cta for under built product imo. I for one wish the rv industry as a whole would build a better product for there customers that spend hard earn money for coach. I knew all the above before i bougth my sw, and thougth if some manufactures offer them as a option why not. As stated before, so far i like it alot. jmho
Good luck with yours George bastech

Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Won't be able to install it till I return from Tenn. I am anxious to see how much improvement I will get. The pin box I have now sucks and restricts me a lot. Hve a good feeling about the SW...

Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Here is my response from Reese:
Hi - Yes, the sidewinder does put some stress on the box, however we have not had any reports of damage or problems as a result of using this unit. If you have further technical questions I'll refer you to the Reese company, 800-428-7303 ask for a technician . thanks for your inquiry.

They do not say how much stress but I would think they would have some complaints if it was a problem.... And yes the box she refers to is the pin box, I had her verify that...

Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here is my response from Reese:
Hi - Yes, the sidewinder does put some stress on the box, however we have not had any reports of damage or problems as a result of using this unit. If you have further technical questions I'll refer you to the Reese company, 800-428-7303 ask for a technician . thanks for your inquiry.

They do not say how much stress but I would think they would have some complaints if it was a problem.... And yes the box she refers to is the pin box, I had her verify that...

thanks.. sounds like they have done their work..

looks like a cool product too.

Sam