1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 PSD slow accel/rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 PM
mind
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 PSD slow accel/rough idle

97 PSD 4x4 260~ miles. It has been running weird for a while like the idle was kind of rough, then it sat for months before the tranny was rebuilt. So after trans was rebuilt it would lose power going down the highway where the throttle was not engaging as it should be but it would finally catch on and go. So I ordered up the fuel bowl o-ring kit and FPR kit and replaced those a couple days ago along with the black fuel filter. I also put in a DB high torque starter because stock one died and two new batteries.

So I had a leak on the fuel bowl from an o-ring not seated correctly and fixed that today and started her up. No leaks. It takes around 4+ seconds for it to start even when warm and just shut off. When I first started it up it was idling kinda rough, loping kinda I guess it was weird, and when I went to take it around the block it was like it did not have any power at all, going really slow. Eventually after a couple times it kicked in and went around the block. Stopping at a stop sign it would idle rough loping and be hard to take off again. I disconnected the EBPV connector and that seemed to help a lot but it is still doing it. The ICP had oil in it and I cleaned that up and ran it unplugged but it would resort back to the same thing. Unplugged the MAP sensor and checked line and would resort back to same thing.

Seems to me it might be the fuel pump but I did not have a fuel pressure gauge to hook up. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. The truck also has a bullydog chip(i know i know) and there is no smoke at start up. Thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It sounds like it is oil related to me. As you know, we need clean fresh oil. When was the last time you changed it? I would change it and see if you can tell the difference.
Black fuel filter? was it slimy black? If so, you may have algae in your tanks. If you have algae in there you will need to run some biocide through your tanks to kill it.
If it is not slimy it may be you injector O-rings. Have you ever changed them? If you change them you may as well change your GP's too.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Yeah, I'd check the fuel bowl fuel color.
Could almost be an o-ring loosing head pressure on the oil rail.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
And I'd run some biocide or whatever anyways just for grins and giggles to clean it out.

Get another fuel filter for this. =)

Old 04-25-2011, 10:54 AM
mind
Senior User
Originally Posted by Copedawg
It sounds like it is oil related to me. As you know, we need clean fresh oil. When was the last time you changed it? I would change it and see if you can tell the difference.
Black fuel filter? was it slimy black? If so, you may have algae in your tanks. If you have algae in there you will need to run some biocide through your tanks to kill it.
If it is not slimy it may be you injector O-rings. Have you ever changed them? If you change them you may as well change your GP's too.
Oil has not been changed since it sat for months before the trans rebuild. Fuel filter did not seem slimy but I will run that biocide stuff. Never changed injector o-rings but did the GP's about a year ago, I read that when those are bad there is black smoke on startup but this does not. I will change oil, run biocide, and change injector o-rings next week and see what happens. Thanks for your input guys.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Let us know what happens!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 PM
mind
Senior User
So the next weekend I replaced the injector o-rings. I bought a suction device from napa to get the oil/fuel out of the cylinders. I tried my best to make sure I got all of it out and even used my shop vac to make sure I got all of it out. Put it all back together and started to crank for about half second or so and stops dead. (Many cuss words followed). Tried it one more time just because im an idiot and same. Tired and mentally defeated from working on this damn thing all day I went home in a not so good mood.

Came back today and pulled all the glow plugs and cranked it over. Put it back together and it took a while but it started up and seemed to idle fine and better then it was before. Let it warm up a bit and then took it for a little drive. Surprisingly it seemed to run good and I was hoping I did not mess anything up. But after a couple streets I noticed some nice white smoke following me. I parked it and let it sit for a bit and then did another small trip with same results. It still takes 5+ seconds to start and it just doesn't seem right. All symptoms from before a basically gone cept it did romp a little bit after one of the drives i went on. Glow plugs were replaced last year with motocrafts and the harnesses seemed ok but drivers side plugs have a little bit of oil in them. Only when driving it smokes white and when I park it and let it idle it will smoke but then dissapear and revving it in park does not make it smoke.

I really hope I did not mess this truck up. I dont know what to do now any advice would be appreciated. Here is a video of the smoke from the last run. Thanks.

YouTube - VID_20110508_135126.mp4

Old 05-08-2011, 08:24 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
your gonna have to put about 100 miles to get all the air out of the oil system and then your long start should be gone

Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

I am glad you have gotten as far as you have! I am unable to watch the video but if it is running....I would just keep driving it like Mike said.....to get the air out. keep us posted.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
mind
Senior User
And thats the cause of all the smoke is air?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Give it some time. If the engine is running well it will likely disappear.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM
mind
Senior User
Well it has been a while and the smoke has gone away. The truck runs better than it ever has except the throttle issue is still there! It will do it randomly it seems but most of the time on turns. The throttle will just cut out, it will sit there and idle but after a couple seconds will kick back in and start driving like normal. When it does this sometimes the check engine light will come on then go back off when it starts working. Codes are P0221 and P0708. I replaced the TPS with a Dorman unit and I thought it might be the TRS and checked it and replaced also.

When I was doing this however I broke the shift cable connected to the trans because of how old it was. Got a new cable in and its adjusted all the way out but now it wont start in park!!! Shifter is sloppy from bushings and I'm going to replace those but the brass bolts in the back are tight. When I am underneath the truck and messing with the shifter on the trans I can push it back about 1/8 inch and it will engage. But it is locked in park for some reason it is being sensitive and wants to be pushed back as far as it can go but thats not gonna be possible with the shifter like it is. Adjusting TRS makes no difference. I'm really at a loss with this thing now. Anyone have any ideas? I've been searching but its not really helping. Any advice is appreciated.