1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOOG or RAYBESTOS BALL JOINTS ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
I know there's a how to on here on how to replace the ball joint. Is it something the average person can do with normal tools and maybe a loaner tool if it needs a special tool?
Yes, anyone with normal wrench spinning abilities can accomplish the task. You need a ball joint press that you can rent from the auto parts store and a BFH.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends if you live in an area with a lot of salt and corrosion or not.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Depends if you live in an area with a lot of salt and corrosion or not.
Don't be a grumpy gus

If it's too hard, or you simply don't want to press the old joints out and the new in, you can take the knuckle in to any shop with a press. They can remove and install the new ones for you for cheap. Even better if you have a friend with a press.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by zxwut?
Don't be a grumpy gus

If it's too hard, or you simply don't want to press the old joints out and the new in, you can take the knuckle in to any shop with a press. They can remove and install the new ones for you for cheap. Even better if you have a friend with a press.
Not being grumpy, just speaking from experience. Salt plus ball joints = no fun. But looking back at the thread and seeing he's from CA, I'd say go for it.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Why does having a grease fitting automatically make it a quality part? It seems as though many people base quality solely on whether it has a grease fitting or not. Is it not possible for a part that has a grease fitting to be of lesser quality than a part without a grease fitting?
A grease fitting doesn't magically make a quality part and I do not think anyone is saying it does. The OE ungreasable ball joints often need replacing entirely too early as is my experience and others as well. If you have a "quality part" why would you not want to be able to grease them so they last longer? The SDs are heavy and harder on ball joints than a 1/2 ton truck, all the more reason to make them greasable to extend their life.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
My 04' never centered well on its own from the time I drove off the dealer lot with 81 miles on it. Got slightly worse when I put 285s on it. My dad 99' and his 03' were the same way. Last half to full turn needed some assistance to get to center. Whoopty doo.
That may very well be true in your case but when effort is required to return to center like mine than that it is NOT correct. The Moog ball joints in my opinion were not design and/or constructed correctly. A properly designed ball joint should allow the steering to return to center with little to no effort.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 AM
skibber
Senior User
I've always used Moog.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:42 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by skibber
I've always used Moog.
I used to... But if they have started to outsource, I'm done.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here, I own a repair shop in NJ and do a lot of ford parts sales. Motorcraft front end parts are not oem, Ford are. Many Motorcraft parts are the original used, but not front end parts. I have tried them in the past and they look exactly like repacked Moog parts which I believe they are, although I have no proof.

I have seen many vehicles come into my shop with stiff joints that are new installed by other shops, I suspect that this may be due to installation error. When pressing the joints into the spindle, if the correct tools are not used and the correct part of the joint is not pressed, ball joint damage may occur. I have installed Moog's in my own 04 about 2 years ago including lots of snow plowing, so far so good. I would certainly have considered spicer if I had found that as option as I am not a big Moog fan. Generally I am all for oem, but in this case they simply do not hold up well.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:23 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
I think my ball joints may be squeeking also. Thought it was the suspension but don't think it is anymore. My truck is an 04' with 49k on it with the original BJ. If there are no slop in the joints I think I'm going to try to add grease fittings to them. No grease fittings pisses me off, if they had grease fittings they would probably last twice as long. If that don't work the better greasable Raybestos from Rock Auto will go on.
I figured I would reply to own post about my squeaking ball joints and what I did to make them last longer.

About a month after this quoted post I had determined the lower ball joints were what was making the godawful squeaking noise when turning. I decided to drill and tap the lower ball joints for grease fittings. I figured if it doesn't work at the very worst I will be replacing the ball joints anyway. I could not get to the upper ball joints to put in a grease fitting without tearing everything apart so I left them alone.

So I drilled and tapped each lower ball joint 1/4-28 for a grease fitting. Then put a straw on a can of brake cleaner, stuck the straw into the drilled/tapped hole and flushed it with brake cleaner. Some rusty brake cleaner and a few tiny metal shavings came out. I let the brake cleaner dry for about 30 minutes and then installed the grease fittings. I pumped the ball joints full of grease. I gave them a little grease every oil change after that. The grease stopped the squeaking.

This winter my ball joints finally developed slop and needed replaced. So a couple months ago I replaced them.

So drilling and tapping the lower ball joints and greasing them got me almost 3 more years of additional squeak free service. If they came with grease fittings from factory they probably would have lasted even longer.