89 ranger 2.3L fuel pump issues - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Reload this Page >

89 ranger 2.3L fuel pump issues

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Old 04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Dugan1
Junior User
Dugan1 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Posting for my brother, he has an 89 ford ranger 2.3 and hes on his 9th fuel pump in 3 months... cannot figure it out... replaced fuse's, relay, fuel rail, injectors, fuel line, grounded everything out, etc. Fuel pumps maybe last a day, he thinks from starting it, it kills them. We've tried everything and autozone is getting sick of warrantying pumps. I cleaned out the fuel tank and refilled with fresh gas and no go. Anyone have any idea whats wrong? possibly a positive wire grounding out? we were gonna run it to a switch like we did for the drag car, but havent got that far. Anyone else had this issue?? it has a 21gal fuel tank stock and we didnt know if that was a problem or what

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Dugan1
Junior User
Dugan1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update: Ok we jumped the inertia switch which still worked fine so now its out of the loop. Yes i know we should wire it to a switch or w/e but its fine its only a wheeler and hes never out alone. I finally found a wiring diagram for the truck and routed it back to find all the wires... the wiring harness on the pump has a (yellow, red, orange, and black wire). the black has been grounded more and better, we redid all the grounds. the only thing im finding is the yellow wire barely sends a positive signal. on the test light it barely lights up which causes me to think its getting shorted somewhere. the two red wires coming out of the fuel pump relay have 12v also. Anyone know of a problem with those yellow wires? says it runs to the fuel gauge which then runs to a fuse.. and the fuse is good.