Sponsored by: Moser

Loose Valves and Pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 PM
HonestEngine302
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Loose Valves and Pushrods

I had been hearing a ticking noise in passenger side valve cover, so I removed the cover to access damage. Upon removal I found the rear rocker arm very loose and all of the pushrods were loose through out all 8 valves and since they are self adjusting the cant be tightened anymore. With this being said its using alot of fuel consumption but the oil level never goes down. I figure that the heads are worn being that they are original and need to be replaced. I have an 289 cam just step above stock that I have handy to install when replacing the heads. Would that be ok as long as I replace the lifters and pushrods to match up?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:44 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The lifters should keep the clearance between rocker and valve at zero lash. The valve themselves are not self adjusting. The rocker arm has to be tight or the lifter can't do it job correctly. You have to tighten the rocker arms yourself. 18-25ft lbs.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 PM
HonestEngine302
New User
I tried to adjust and upon as uncle a seasoned mechanic said you just do that valve lash turning engine to firing order and adjust, but they cant be adjusted anymore seeing they build up by themselves after tightening them. I think the heads are just worn out and need to replaced cause only one rocker are will move freely. Also it has serious marks cut into the under side of the rocker arm when removed to inspect it. So I assumed as weak lifters and pushrods due to cam wear. Note this truck has plenty of power use it for towing materials, just dont wanna cause anymore damage. I am going to have the heads redone by machine shop and install myself and with new cam also. I think you would call it an overhaul, I dont see any use in removing more cause like said it doesnt smoke or use alot of oil usually 1/2 quart every 6 months which I dont think is bad for 1979 engine. Was taken care of really well, anyways I am just wondering if I replace cam I cant buy stock pushrods and expect them to work with it, also doesnt really come with any specs on it. I guess I will talk to the shop once heads are done to see what pushrod lengths go with the new cam n lift.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:57 PM
HonestEngine302
New User
Smile

Originally Posted by 79FordBlake
The lifters should keep the clearance between rocker and valve at zero lash. The valve themselves are not self adjusting. The rocker arm has to be tight or the lifter can't do it job correctly. You have to tighten the rocker arms yourself. 18-25ft lbs.
You are totally right the valves arent self adjusting but but if you go thru the valve lash and the pushrods are still able to be turned easily with fingers. What would that be a cause of I just think replacing heads would take care of all of that I hope. I see you have a 1979 302 also I think they are really dependable engines being this one is stock from factory and still kicking rocks.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:08 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HonestEngine302
I tried to adjust and upon as uncle a seasoned mechanic said you just do that valve lash turning engine to firing order and adjust, but they cant be adjusted anymore seeing they build up by themselves after tightening them. I think the heads are just worn out and need to replaced cause only one rocker are will move freely. Also it has serious marks cut into the under side of the rocker arm when removed to inspect it. So I assumed as weak lifters and pushrods due to cam wear. Note this truck has plenty of power use it for towing materials, just dont wanna cause anymore damage. I am going to have the heads redone by machine shop and install myself and with new cam also. I think you would call it an overhaul, I dont see any use in removing more cause like said it doesnt smoke or use alot of oil usually 1/2 quart every 6 months which I dont think is bad for 1979 engine. Was taken care of really well, anyways I am just wondering if I replace cam I cant buy stock pushrods and expect them to work with it, also doesnt really come with any specs on it. I guess I will talk to the shop once heads are done to see what pushrod lengths go with the new cam n lift.

It may not be using oil now but when you increase the compression with a valve job, most likely it will start using oil. It's going to blow by the worn piston rings. So ,no , you are not giving it an overhaul. I mean this in a helpful way and just telling you what can happen unless you are lucky. JIM

Old 04-24-2011, 01:21 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HonestEngine302
You are totally right the valves arent self adjusting but but if you go thru the valve lash and the pushrods are still able to be turned easily with fingers. What would that be a cause of I just think replacing heads would take care of all of that I hope. I see you have a 1979 302 also I think they are really dependable engines being this one is stock from factory and still kicking rocks.
Yes the 302 is my favorite engine out of them all. The 302 in my 73 F100 has never been apart and only has 58,000 miles on it(bought it from original owner about 3 years ago).

There may be sludge built up in the lifters keeping them from "pumping up" completely. Marvel mystery oil or Valve-medic will help that situation if that is the cause.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:51 PM
shookdaddy
Senior User
yea man i think u have a lifter problem u should also ck ur pushrods

Old 04-24-2011, 03:14 PM
HonestEngine302
New User
Wink

Originally Posted by jim collins
It may not be using oil now but when you increase the compression with a valve job, most likely it will start using oil. It's going to blow by the worn piston rings. So ,no , you are not giving it an overhaul. I mean this in a helpful way and just telling you what can happen unless you are lucky. JIM
Well actually this will be second truck with 302 have done like this, as the rings are not worn and if are they arent even in category to remove and change. The heads damage to rings were due to weak oil pump and low oil level. With any motor I think cam wear is indefinite, but I already dropped the oil pan and checked mains which didnt even have a mark on them looked new. So there isnt much use in checking the piston rings cause the engine does not smoke at all. I uses excessive gas and one lifter is ticking, in which I am going to just throw reworked original heads on it with a new cam and call it done. I have plenty of oil pressure so now worrying bout the pistons at all having taken heads off and with oil pan off I took each piston out and inspected. Removing the entire engine for rebuild isnt an option(no garage) when ticking lifter is only problem. But I appreciate the input

Old 04-24-2011, 03:20 PM
HonestEngine302
New User
Originally Posted by shookdaddy
yea man i think u have a lifter problem u should also ck ur pushrods
I checked the pushrods and when put all on my straight edge they are fine I just threw the heads back on with a gasket n drove on to work until can get them reworked by local shop with excellent reviews from work done in past for other motors. I just think the heads are shot, like I said its getting plenty of oil pressure just the exhaust smells of raw fuel. But glad you agree with me on lifters and rods, just ready to get Ole Blue back on the right mpg lol.