Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sounds like fun! I may try that in the stove in the house. I would rep ya but I don't know how on this phone. It's the thought that counts right ??

Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Joe,

We've made them at home on the stove many times...when the girls have sleepovers...it is an easy way to feed everyone at home at the same time too!

Enjoy...and YES...it IS the thought that counts man...THANKS!

Indiana Joe

Old 07-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Heading out today! Filling the fresh water tank yesterday I discovered algae... So instead of getting stuff ready yesterday I spent all day up till 11pm last night cleaning my fresh water system...

Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Heading out today! Filling the fresh water tank yesterday I discovered algae... So instead of getting stuff ready yesterday I spent all day up till 11pm last night cleaning my fresh water system...
Yuck!! That doesn't sound fun.

Got some new E's for my rig. Got the genset tuned in. Two more weeks until we head out.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Every year when I de-winterize the camper from the pink stuff in her veins...

I'll sanitize and freshen the fresh water tank/system.

With the hot water heater STILL bypassed...I'll take 1/4 cup of bleach for each 10 gallons of capacity in the fresh tank...so on my 40 gallon tank...I'll use a cup of bleach...

Dump that in and then fill the tank to mix it up.

Then I'll run all the faucets to pull the bleach/water mix into the lines...you will smell a light bleach smell.

I'll let that sit for about an hour...

Then I'll run the faucets to drain the tank (filling the grey tank to to "sanitize" and "deodorize" it too before dumping).

I'll then refill fresh tank and run the faucets to "flush" the lines with fresh water.

Doing this once more with just fresh water...this gives a good rinse to the plumbing and tank.

Last step...I take a quart of distilled white vinegar and dump that into the tank and fill the tank to "deodorize" that from the bleach smell...I'll let that sit for a little bit before running the faucets to complete the sanitize/deodorize/flush steps I take.

That keeps my fresh system clean and fresh smelling and hopefully free from bacteria...

It takes me a couple of hours to complete this process...

Good luck!

Joe.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Every year when I de-winterize the camper from the pink stuff in her veins...

I'll sanitize and freshen the fresh water tank/system.

With the hot water heater STILL bypassed...I'll take 1/4 cup of bleach for each 10 gallons of capacity in the fresh tank...so on my 40 gallon tank...I'll use a cup of bleach...

Dump that in and then fill the tank to mix it up.

Then I'll run all the faucets to pull the bleach/water mix into the lines...you will smell a light bleach smell.

I'll let that sit for about an hour...

Then I'll run the faucets to drain the tank (filling the grey tank to to "sanitize" and "deodorize" it too before dumping).

I'll then refill fresh tank and run the faucets to "flush" the lines with fresh water.

Doing this once more with just fresh water...this gives a good rinse to the plumbing and tank.

Last step...I take a quart of distilled white vinegar and dump that into the tank and fill the tank to "deodorize" that from the bleach smell...I'll let that sit for a little bit before running the faucets to complete the sanitize/deodorize/flush steps I take.

That keeps my fresh system clean and fresh smelling and hopefully free from bacteria...

It takes me a couple of hours to complete this process...

Good luck!

Joe.

Just pulled in and unhooked everything. After some quick searching on the net I found exactly like you mentioned Joe and did exactly that. But I quick pulled my tank out and filled it with the mix and let it sit for 2 hours. I didn't have time to pull the pressure washer out but I used a good nozzle on the hose to wash out the tank best I could after emptying the mix and it looked pretty darn good. Then I put the tank back in and put a little more mix in to run all the lines. My water heater system was completely dried out and closed off for years now so I didn't have to worry about that. I let it sit in the lines for an hour and then let the water run for an additional 20-30 minutes. The lines all cleaned up great and looked nice and clear. While the pump was rattling away I was digging around and zip tying lines and wrapping them with rubber where they rubbed or was tied to something. Helped with the noise some. Is there a quieter style pump for suitable for low pressure camper use? Ever since I was a kid I disliked the loudness of camper water pumps. Also what can you do between trips to keep the tank from greening up again?

Rest of the trip went like normal. Only other weird thing was my X showing 10.6mpg on the way up and 12mpg on the way back. It always got 14.5-14.6 on this trip.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Cactus Jack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
Nice looking TT and Excursion!

I looked up the specs of your TT and they are very close to mine. what trailer prep have you done to the X to pull that? My 2005 X has upgraded shocks and a Prodigy brake controller only. i have been wondering if I need any upgrades before our first camping trip (550 miles roundtrip)
That's a great picture.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
My family just got back earlier this week from a 7 state 2100 mile camping trip, with zero issues with the camper or Excursion. I cant imagine doing this trip with a smaller vehicle, We had my family of 6 for half the trip and we added grandma for one 730 mile leg of the trip.

Here are a few things I learned.
1. I averaged 10.2 mpg for the trip. My PSD has 7,000 miles on it, so I am hoping for a slight improvement in mileage when its fully broke in.
2. 834 miles in one day is a bit to long for my crew to handle. (kids aged 12, 11, 3, and 1)
3. Before of long trip out west in 2014 to visit some national parks I will upgrade to the Equalizer hitch.
4. The Excursion is really comfortable out on the road!!
5. I would like to slightly quite down my 4" exhaust, expecially over 2500 rpm

thanks for all the tips in this thread!

I added a few shots to my garage.
1. Camping on Oscaloosa Island, FL
2. Dropping off the camper at my sisters for a few days in GA

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Bigdaddybus's Album: Garage - Big Daddy's Bus - Picture

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Bigdaddybus's Album: Garage - Big Daddy's Bus - Picture

Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
NewXer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
...filled with Boy Scouts...
My X is my Scout's favorite vehicle for travel. I usually tow the trailer as so we're never left at the mercy of an underpowered vehicle .

I've had 2 offers by folks in the Troop to buy my X as my son is out and I'm just helping the Troop out now & then. Perhaps in another year, I'll move to a 250. Its kinda hard to put an ATV in the bed of the X.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:54 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by NewXer
Its kinda hard to put an ATV in the bed of the X.
That is what utility trailers are for!

Old 07-15-2012, 04:00 PM
NewXer
Senior User
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
That is what utility trailers are for!
Got one of this & it meets the need, but I'm getting to the point where I want to take the ATV along with us, but it ain't going to work with a popup. I no longer need 8 seats either... the utility of a pickup bed is becoming more & more appealing.

That all said, its buy a toy hauler/camper or a newer truck. The pop up works great for us, so the truck might just be easier. Regardless, need another year to work up the cash.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by NewXer
Got one of this & it meets the need, but I'm getting to the point where I want to take the ATV along with us, but it ain't going to work with a popup. I no longer need 8 seats either... the utility of a pickup bed is becoming more & more appealing.

That all said, its buy a toy hauler/camper or a newer truck. The pop up works great for us, so the truck might just be easier. Regardless, need another year to work up the cash.
Good points. We started out with trucks (see sig). Now that the kids are getting older and have more friends we needed the extra hauling capability. I don't have to worry about the kids leaving for a while. I am looking at another 5-10 years LOL. I know that our Boxers are enjoying riding in the comfort of the X with us.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a sweet set up . I love the pics and the wheels. Did you strap grandma to the roof in a rocking chair? How much does the toy hauler weigh?

Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
NewXer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
My family just got back earlier this week from a 7 state 2100 mile camping trip
Sounds like my kind of trip...

So what toys do you keep in your toy hauler?

Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM
jts140
Freshman User
Can't wait for my first trip with our new 2005 ex, just worried about the 3.73 gears, it's a v10 with a 9k trailer.. Do like them on the highway, been getting 14+ on road trips.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!