Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes great tips! I have to crawl up and check the roof out on mine before its to late as well.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:08 AM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tri Fuel converted so it just runs off the propane tanks. 2 of them will run the AC but I have never had the need. No gas means that it is impossible for the Carburator to Varnish or gum up - Propane is pure and without any impurities. No need to start it up every month to make sure it is still working.

Just connect to a propane tank and fire it up.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Can you use those little green propane tanks as well? Thats kind of interesting but I figured just gas is a little more portable then lugging out a propane tank as well. Camping it is no problem but if you need the generator for anything else.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:09 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Can you use those little green propane tanks as well? Thats kind of interesting but I figured just gas is a little more portable then lugging out a propane tank as well. Camping it is no problem but if you need the generator for anything else.
I know that you can buy the adapters to use the little green tanks although I am not sure that it would get you very far. The 20 lb BBQ type tanks are the equivalent of about 5 gallons of gasoline. The little green tanks might only get you 10 minutes of run time.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CPTMidnight:

Tri-fuel? Gasoline, propane, and ?

How do you make this conversion and what tis the % loss in kW output for propane operation instead of gasoline?

Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
Originally Posted by Forest
CPTMidnight:

Tri-fuel? Gasoline, propane, and ?

How do you make this conversion and what tis the % loss in kW output for propane operation instead of gasoline?

Gasoline, Propane, and Natural Gas

As far as I know/can tell there is no loss in output - when properly adjusted (the tool is included and it takes about 1 minute to do it) it packs the same punch.

I purchased mine from Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.

They are basically a carburetor kit and will work with alot of engines. I happened to purchase my Yamaha from them as a turn key unit rather than trying to add on a kit to an existing geneartor. They ship it - You fill it with oil, gasoline and let it run under load for an hour or two to seat the rings. Then hook up propane (or NG) and start it up - put it under load and then adjust the propane until it is running at its highest RPMs with the meter that is included and mounted on the generator. That's it. The great thing about the Yamaha is that they have a deal with Yamaha and even thought it has been modified Yamaha will still honor the entire 3 year warranty.

I do not work for them - just a happy customer in MN

Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna check that out if for nothing else just to have the option of propane if needed.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
In another thread (drafting a semi) we started talking about cameras on the back of the X and the camper. I will be installing a dvd/navi unit in the dash of the X this summer so I can have a camera on the back of the X so I can see the hitch when backing up to trailers. Then someone mentioned having a second camera on the back of the camper which is a super idea because you can't see anything back there! Would be great for backing into those tight camping spots with trees all over the place and just to know there are no kids or anything behind the camper when backing up.

I am excited about this! lol

Old 05-08-2011, 12:51 PM
jejenkins417
Senior User
Great news! Can't wait to get out camping again this summer!

Any tips for cleaning leaf marks and and dirt off the plastic pull out overhangs on campers?
Invest in a professional grade steam cleaner! Can pick up a good one for around $800. We use it for EVERYTHING! It's amazing what one will do to a grill. Also in the home for carpet, window seals, doors/trim from dirty hands etc. It simply melts away anything. Safe to use on canopies as well.
This is what I have Steam Cleaner - Steam Cleaners - Vapor Cleaner - Commercial Steam Cleaners VX5000. Worth every penny. The guys used to work for a major company that sold these cleaners to big corps and he was able to go on his own and use same supplier. The corps pay $2K plus for these. Legite and good setup.
One of the best investments we have made.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Black streaks... We tried some off the shelf black streak remover stuff and they are still there. Any cleaners or tips for getting the black streaks off the side of the camper? I have the painted aluminum sides.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Oh an tires, With one hand I can easily push the back of my camper back and forth up to 3" and it is all from the tire sidewall flexing. I notice while pulling the TT wind or a semi passing me will visually push the TT over some causing the back of the X to sway over a bit making it change direction some which I have to steer to correct. The tires are pumped up to max psi on the TT which I think was only like 44psi. Any tips on stiffer sidewall tires? Is it ok to use car/truck tires on a TT? What is the difference between auto and trailer tires?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
jejenkins417
Senior User
Oh an tires, With one hand I can easily push the back of my camper back and forth up to 3" and it is all from the tire sidewall flexing. I notice while pulling the TT wind or a semi passing me will visually push the TT over some causing the back of the X to sway over a bit making it change direction some which I have to steer to correct. The tires are pumped up to max psi on the TT which I think was only like 44psi. Any tips on stiffer sidewall tires? Is it ok to use car/truck tires on a TT? What is the difference between auto and trailer tires?
Don't do auto tires on a TT. They make 10 ply trailer tires. Mine max at 75 or 80 psi. I run them at 70. Can't remember all the facts behind the not auto tires on a TT but I remember when being told, I would never do it. Plus for the $$, you'll get alot further with TT tires. I can check the brand and ratings on mine if you like. I remember er there is a specific code for this type of tire. Maybe another will jump in here and fill in my gaps in info.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 PM
jejenkins417
Senior User
In another thread (drafting a semi) we started talking about cameras on the back of the X and the camper. I will be installing a dvd/navi unit in the dash of the X this summer so I can have a camera on the back of the X so I can see the hitch when backing up to trailers. Then someone mentioned having a second camera on the back of the camper which is a super idea because you can't see anything back there! Would be great for backing into those tight camping spots with trees all over the place and just to know there are no kids or anything behind the camper when backing up.

I am excited about this! lol
Check out this http://www.propridehitch.com/products/Swift-Hitch-Camera.html
I know a bit pricey but no wiring and has night vision! By the time you figure your cost of wiring and time installing another unit, this price is not that bad.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Trailer tires pretty much suck these days. I'd say go with a 10ply (E-rated) tire and run the max recommended pressure - mine are 80psi. Look for a tire that is MADE IN THE USA, the canadian, chinese and taiwan tires I've had in the last few years all sucked.

The issue with 'passenger tires' is load rating. That said, my next set of trailer tires will likely be 'light truck' tires. I pull my camper as much as 30k miles/year and I have spent a fortune on the 'best' trailer tires I could find. I'm over the danger and inconvenience of failed trailer tires, I literally cannot remember the last tire failure I had in a truck...

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Trailer tires pretty much suck these days. I'd say go with a 10ply (E-rated) tire and run the max recommended pressure - mine are 80psi. Look for a tire that is MADE IN THE USA, the canadian, chinese and taiwan tires I've had in the last few years all sucked.

The issue with 'passenger tires' is load rating. That said, my next set of trailer tires will likely be 'light truck' tires. I pull my camper as much as 30k miles/year and I have spent a fortune on the 'best' trailer tires I could find. I'm over the danger and inconvenience of failed trailer tires, I literally cannot remember the last tire failure I had in a truck...
I absolutely agree with SkySkiJason. I just put on my 3rd set of tires on our big trailer in only 3.5 years of use and maybe 25,000 miles total. Luckily, our trailer has 16x6" rims capable of 80 psig, so I upgraded to LT tires (BFG Commercial T/A). The 2nd set were Goodyear Marathon ST trailer tires--the best I could find. The Goodyears self-destructed at only 22 months and about 12,000 miles of service. ST tires are all built to a very low standard, no matter where their original factory is located (the Goodyears came from China).

On the other hand, it is probably not the sidewall flex that is directly causing your sway problems. It is normal for the trailer to push the truck in opposite directions with a conventional hitch. Sidewall flex contributes to this, but the aerodynamic forces of a passing truck will push you around no matter how stiff your sidewalls are.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!