Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:21 PM
JJensen79
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread makes me want to hook up and head south. Oh wait, I have a six foot drift in front of the camper that is frozen solid!
While we wait for the snow to melt I have been gathering up my next round of camper mods. I just ordered a TST507 TPMS and have been looking at motorized tongue jacks. I was looking at the Atwood 3500 pound jack, do you guys have experience with this brand or maybe you can make some recommendations.
Thanks.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Pete Kildow
Senior User
Originally Posted by JJensen79
This thread makes me want to hook up and head south. Oh wait, I have a six foot drift in front of the camper that is frozen solid!
While we wait for the snow to melt I have been gathering up my next round of camper mods. I just ordered a TST507 TPMS and have been looking at motorized tongue jacks. I was looking at the Atwood 3500 pound jack, do you guys have experience with this brand or maybe you can make some recommendations.
Thanks.
Buddy of mine has that jack. And would rather leave the bed out then not have his jack.
As for the tire Pressure gauge. I have to order one for ours. But will have to get the kit with 12 sensors. Let us know how you like yours when you get them installed and using them. But I think there the best thing anyone could have. One blowout on the camper, your out several times more then the kit cost.
72 degrees there today, Was out working on the boat in shorts.
Pete

Old 02-18-2014, 09:25 PM
JJensen79
Junior User
Good to know about the jack. Your right about the sensors, definitely worth it in my opinion. I got the flow thru style so I wouldn't have to take them off if I needed to. TST has a special going on right now that gives you a three year warranty and 10% off.
I am also working on an under mount spare tire carrier to hold at least two spares. We got stuck a few years back in Wyoming with 3 blown tires in two miles while pulling our motorcycles.
We try to be as prepared as possible.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by Pete Kildow
I hear you, 68 here today and Thursday 75 but a cold front blowing through that evening. So twister weather is here again. Shoot we have more wood then you can shake a stick at . But we never burn a fire. There's a ban of taking wood from county to county. And not paying $10. for enough to start a fire. So I rigged up a gas fired pit. metal 5 gallon bucket, half full of sand. Pour a half pint of gas and half pint of water in the sand and let it set for a few minutes. PItch a match into it and you have a clean burning fire for a good while.
Used to use this all the time on our dock on the Tn river in cold Weather. But we had a 55 metal drum. And used the 5 gallon bucket in the homemade wooden john boat.

Like the beer art. My aunt used to make planes and stuff out of beer cans and sold them as fast as she could make them.
We get the wood next door at a place that makes poles? Any way we get quite a bit of wood for $20. we already unloaded about a 3rd of it when I took this picture.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Thanks.

Atwood makes a nice tongue jack, you should like it. I too just bought the TST 507RV TPMS 6 sensor kit with flow through sensors. It's still sitting on the desk waiting for more snow to melt. I've played the Chinese ST tire game before, a TPMS is well worth it!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM
JJensen79
Junior User
I hope to get at least one more season out of the tires that are on it, but we have a couple of decent distance pulls that might shorten that time frame. Safety was the biggest factor though in getting the TPMS.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I've got a electric tounge jack, only thing I don't like is how slow it is...

As for tires, I'm prob going to upgrade to 10 plys, it has 8s on it now, they are within a couple hundred pounds of being at the max capacity.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I've got a electric tounge jack, only thing I don't like is how slow it is...

As for tires, I'm prob going to upgrade to 10 plys, it has 8s on it now, they are within a couple hundred pounds of being at the max capacity.

My current plans are to run the factory tires/wheels/axles/springs on our new jayco until the 2 year warranty is up then upgrade to 6k axles and 16" rims with LT E rated tires. We'll see how well that plan holds up when it's in competition with college tuition. The factory really cuts it close on tire/axle/spring ratings vs GVW, I subscribe to the "More is better" school of thought.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Ya, mine has 5200 pound axles. The tires are rated right at that. And the camper has 10200 pounds on the axles when fully loaded, and ready to go. I was going to price out some 7,000 pound axles and 16 inch wheels/tires too. Than I'm more than safe.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 PM
JJensen79
Junior User
I just realized that will have three devices with screens when traveling for camping. The edge insight, TPMS monitor, and GPS. Do you guys have pics of you setup? Trying to figure out the best arrangement.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I just realized that will have three devices with screens when traveling for camping. The edge insight, TPMS monitor, and GPS. Do you guys have pics of you setup? Trying to figure out the best arrangement.
i just have a GPS but you can see where i've put it. I've tried a few different locations and i seem to like this the best..as i glance up at the rear view mirror and look down at the GPS.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Lawdog734
Cross-Country
2014 maiden voyage for the year! Skidaway Island State Park near Savannah, Ga. The daytime weather has been quite pleasant - 70 degrees today and for the remainder of the weekend. With that said, it was 33 degrees this morning, so it was a little chilly in the ol' popup, so we actually ran the heater and it was actually pretty cozy inside.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawdog734
2014 maiden voyage for the year! Skidaway Island State Park near Savannah, Ga. The daytime weather has been quite pleasant - 70 degrees today and for the remainder of the weekend. With that said, it was 33 degrees this morning, so it was a little chilly in the ol' popup, so we actually ran the heater and it was actually pretty cozy inside.

Good times, nice X! Thanks for posting.

Our first camping trip is planned for june.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 PM
JJensen79
Junior User
I'm jealous. I can't wait to get out and go camping.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i'll be able to take mine out in late may-ish...thats when temps will be bearable to camp in.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!