6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Powerstroke newbie (Duramax switch)...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:49 AM
sethmckinney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstroke newbie (Duramax switch)...

Hello -- I owned a duramax (2 different ones) for about 10 years. I would love to know some good tips and advice for this specific engine. Is there a good tuner available that will help MPG etc...? Any advice you guys can give for improving mileage, and any other maintenance tips I might not be aware of would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Double-Trouble
Senior User
No need to tune these engines. Will only void your warranty. Only suggestion I have would be drive it and smile allot.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 AM
sethmckinney
New User
I have to do something!!! It's only American!

Is the lockpick easy to do? Any other fun, quick, useful mods I could do you know of (besides cosmetic)?

I'm not doing any lifts, fuel system, or any of that. I may do secondary fuel and oil filters. Any rec on that for Ford?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ch-folder.html Have you seen this from the Sticky at the top of the page?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 AM
sethmckinney
New User
No, and thanks!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by sethmckinney
I have to do something!!! It's only American!

Is the lockpick easy to do? Any other fun, quick, useful mods I could do you know of (besides cosmetic)?

I'm not doing any lifts, fuel system, or any of that. I may do secondary fuel and oil filters. Any rec on that for Ford?
The Lockpick is easy. Toughest part is getting the instrument bezel off. Also, check out the extended remote start kit from partsguyed.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 PM
AMEC Electric LLC
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM
sethmckinney
New User
Marauder -- mine has a remote start on it. What does this do? The 2011 has it built into one fob. Right?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
That means you can start your truck without the key. The extended upgrade gives you more distance.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM
sethmckinney
New User
So you propose carrying two fobs?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:52 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
When you remote start the truck, you need to insert the key into the ignition as soon as you get in otherwise the truck will think you're trying to steal it and an alarm will go off. No need to carry two fobs.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:55 PM
sethmckinney
New User
Sorry, I'm not following.

I'm 1000' from my truck, to start I would need his fob and the ford fob? Or, will the ford fob be fine alone?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
I don't think either will start the truck at 1000', someone else correct me if I'm wrong. From what I understood the regular fob will turn on the truck if the truck is really close to your house. Not sure on the distance for the extended.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:10 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My standard remote start will reach about 300 feet if it is a straight shot. I can leave the WalMart by my house with the truck parked uphill about 300 feet away. If I just push the button it will not start. If I hold the button above my head and push it, it starts. I have verified this a couple of times.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have to, tuners will be out in time. Too early yet for such a complicated engine. You can search youtube for some early tuner attempts.

But really, with this much power being delivered in such a satisfying way, a tuner would be crazy within the first 5 years of ownership. If you want to tractor pull or race, get some traction bars, beef up the diffs/driveshaft, tune the shocks, get some good 16's with some serious rubber and have at it. The truck already weighs 8K or more, it's planted on the ground.

Any mods to the filters of any type is not really necessary right now.

MPG increases are going to be minimal with an open exhaust/intake and a tune. Any '08 and newer diesel, regardless of manufacturer, is a different animal. Not like you are used to.

If you had a 10 year old Duramax, you have nearly double the power you had and a more "nimble" transmission by far. The allison is good and a 10 year old one is more like a school bus tranny than what is being used now. Even if your Duramax was tuned to the max, you did not have 400/800, full warranty to boot. Now, if you had propane or NOs then maybe......

Enjoy your new truck! I was a GM guy too ('05 Dmax 3500) was my last. These SD's are really amazing when you get a handle on how much more they have to offer in the way that they are designed and engineered. The ULTIMATE tow vehicle on the road. Period.

Quick Reply: Powerstroke newbie (Duramax switch)...