I knew you solid axle people were wrong, TTB for the win. - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Reload this Page >

I knew you solid axle people were wrong, TTB for the win.

Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I knew you solid axle people were wrong, TTB for the win.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
80broncoman
Elder User
80broncoman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.80broncoman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think think one of the best things you can do to make a TTB have good travel is to throw away those short radious arms and at least go with something as long or slight ly longer than the 70s trucks had. other than that I haven't had problem with the TTB.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six View Post
you have to admit the appearance of the clamshell halved front diff of the TTB looks like *** though.
Only because it isn't what was accepted as the appearance of the front axle of a 4WD truck until Ford introduced it. Different. Yes. Ugly? A subjective response from the eye of the beholder. Not everyone wants a blue-eyed blonde, ya know.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
SDElwood
The BeerMaster
SDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputation
My Bronco and I still enjoy our TTB. I would never think of changing it, regardless of the knuckleheads that say I should. But then they can't keep up with me, either. Yep, I'm with ya - TTB is kick *** stuff.

I'll keep the straight axle under my SuperDuty, it's job is to pull big trailers on the seeeement.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
ErrorS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Actually, my 8.8 is on its way out.. sorta missing my 9''.. then again, this Bronco was abused before I got it and last time I pulled my driveshaft my pinion nut was finger tight, who knows how long it has been driven like that. I think it was broken when I got it.

I also don't see why people say the TTB has no travel? My tires keep going until my shocks stop them. After that, my brake lines held it up.. eventually I'll try again with my new extended brake lines AND my shocks removed, but I seriously doubt travel in the front is a major issue. I give credit to my Deaver front springs though..
honestly, im having trouble with travel in the rear, my 6'' shocks in the rear stop me long before I get stopped in the front. I dreamt up an idea of using a shackle type system for my shocks in the rear, gonna try that out and see how it works.

I will get extended arms in the future, I guess just because everyone else does? No, mainly for strength, not too fond of stamped steel in such a critical area. Everyone is right about the stock arms, I can see mine flex when I put the Bronco at weird angles.

Going to a real offroad park in a couple of days, maybe I'll get some videos of my TTB being awesome..

Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
I just wish the TTB could be built stronger with out spending more then a built 60 would run me. not to mention having to get an alignment every 3-6months depending on how hard i have been playing. I also want to run a 37-38" tire and the TTB just cry's with tires this large.

I will say that in the snow the TTB really shines and is an advantage over a solid front.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Kem, 37-38's won't be good for any 1/2 ton axle. I personally understand the desire to have something stronger than a 1/2 ton axle under the truck. However, modification would be necessary even if the Bronco still had a solid D44 under it with that kind of unsprung weight.

Now if converting the F-250 TTB D50 to coil springs could be achieved cleanly and reasonably, that would be a viable option. I've never seen it done and a leaf sprung TTB setup is just beyond silly to me so I'm going to say I bet its cost prohibitive.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
jas88
Postmaster
jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.
you have to admit the appearance of the clamshell halved front diff of the TTB looks like *** though.
No, I do not have to admit that. I like the way it looks.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
RSCHAP1
Elder User
RSCHAP1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have had many of both varieties.
Pluses and minuses to both.
I broke u-joints in TTB, but broke steering joints and axles in solids too.
I used to run a mild 429 in 2 different solid axle Broncos, 1978 and 1979s.
Had a 5.0 GT motor in a 1984 with the TTB.
The added u-joint and spline got broke more than once in my TTB truck.
I ran 38s and 40s on my older ones. I always knew it was my f'up when I broke those front ends.
The TTB got treated alot alot better with 35 M/Ts. But still broke, probably a little more often even.
I would be hard pressed to say either is a very nice set up in comparison to today's (or even 1997s)IFSs.
When I got my 1998 Expedition, it was NIGHT and DAY different-BETTER driving and handling.
Then my 2004...vast improvment again.
They are different animals, but to compare the straight axle to the TTB, is just as far a reach as the NEW IFS to the TTB.
If the TTB is impressive to you, check out modern hardware.
Otherwise for strength, reliability, and LOOKS, personally I would revert way back to a solid HP 44 and some stretched out 6" lift coils on the old cast I beam radius arms

Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
I was looking up some videos of TTB action to prove how stupid solid axles were and got distracted..
at least we don't have Blazers guys

YouTube - steveG23's Channel

fricken insanity.

seriously though, check out this guy's videos. He goes all prerunner with his Bronco and Autofab front end and the TTB really does well. If you look at the videos, you can see his frontend staying in control (even with all the weird castor/camber changes) and his rearend flopping all over the place.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Guys, how about this.. every guy out there with an insane $50,000 crawler, prerunner, whatever has IFS? some with TTBs ?

you all sure solid frontends aren't popular only because they cheap junkyard or "I have a truck laying around" swaps to put in place of the D44? yeah, we ALL know the D44 needs upgraded eventually depending on how far you're taking your truck. I will not even attempt to lock or spool my frontend. There aren't many good/reasonably cheap IFS bigger than a D44, coil sprung, so the first solid axle d60+ is swapped in, in place, so those 44'' boggers aren't tearing up the tiny d44?

then through peer pressure everyone else swaps them in and complains about that one time their d44 gear with 200,000 miles broke when going through 6' deep mud with their welded frontend riding 76'' thornbirds?

dunno about anyone else, but my u-joints on my Bronco have 21 years and 150,000 miles on them, plus another 5k as far as I know (who knows how many before that) miles of flat out ABUSE without much wear at all? I've replaced two balljoints since I had that half off anyways, one side of bearings, since that side sat in a puddle for a week.

whatever, prove to me the D44 TTB is weak by showing me some newer setups that break. Setups that aren't flatout junkyard and rediculous and I will admit to being wrong.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Junior User
Jax Rhapsody is starting off with a positive reputation.
The TTB isn't a bad thing, really. It's like a really heavy duty macpherson strut system. When I was a kid I used to draw trophy trucks and unlimited buggy's with a TTB in th rear and a conventional IFS in front. And it certainly is the toughest IFS next to the one H1's use. ANything like that to e would be good at highspeed offroading and better than the use of a solid axle for such. We dont have high speed offroading here unless you count drivin quickly accros a grassy area. So I just prefer my SUV's to have solid axles front and rear, it seems more right to me.

There used to be ad's for jeep axles that were bent at like a 70 degree angle-kinda like the missing link between the live axle and TTB.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 PM
bigginsbluebronco2
New User
bigginsbluebronco2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
why solid axle is better for rock crawling

Solid axles are better for crawling because you have extreme amounts flex without needing drop brackets and drop brackets are just an extension of the frame which means drop brackets for ttb are bad because its possible for your bracket to drop lower than your tire when flexing causing clearance issues where the bracket can easily get caught up on rocks and other objects where but with a solid axle the frame\brackets are going to be above the center point of the axle and its impossible for the center point of the axle to be above the frame

Old 02-06-2015, 01:03 AM
Tim Hodgson
Posting Guru
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
FYI: AgileOffRoad.com puts a TTB D50 with a coil suspension in their 4x4 conversions of the E350. Check it out the three videos:

What Agile Off-Road does to convert a van to 4-wheel drive.

This is what it says about one of the videos: "In the video below is a Ford E350 Sportsmobile with Agile Off-Road’s custom long travel, Dana 50 Twin-Traction Beam 44 conversion with 12″ of front travel. It’s heading north on the road from Coco’s Corner to Gonzaga Bay in excess of 50 mph."

This is what his signature says on Sportsmobileforum.com "Four time Baja 1000 winner, four time Baja 500 winner. Solo'ed the Baja 1000 to LaPaz/Cabo twice. 4-Wheeling since 1972, Desert Racing since 1989."

I am glad you resutrrected this 4 year old thread. Personally I hate towing with my Bronco. It's short wheel base and light weight tend to cause the trailer to fish tail and wag the Bronco. But except for towing, I like the vehicle including the TTB Dana 44.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 AM
SDElwood
The BeerMaster
SDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputation
I'm sticking with my TTB... I love 'em. I've always wanted to put one in the rear too.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader
Toyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputationToyman has a superb reputation
That could give you 4 wheels steering too Mike......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I knew you solid axle people were wrong, TTB for the win.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.