Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a TALL liftgate? Forget 4x2 lift supports.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just ordered my set. Winter will be here before you know it, and I don't want the lift gate falling on my head again this year.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by AndrewWV View Post
Winter will be here before you know it

yuk not excited!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by b-uno View Post
Originally Posted by AndrewWV View Post
Just ordered my set. Winter will be here before you know it, and I don't want the lift gate falling on my head again this year.

yuk not excited!
Yeah, I'm not ready for it either, but I can't stand the thought of that darned lift gate falling on my head again this winter. Gotta get this done while there is still plenty of good weather to enjoy.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Got'er done!

The FedEx man visited my house yesterday, so they went on last night.

Name:  20120823_082536.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  48.2 KB

Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM
slenser
Senior User
slenser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just ordered some. Be sure to check their facebook page for any discount codes. The latest is Facebook7 for 7% off your order.

I went ahead and picked up some new ones for the hood too after reading someone's story of their hood falling on them out of nowhere...better safe than knocked the #$^# out or worse!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Pitcrw6
Postmaster
Pitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant future
Im sure glad I found this thread because I need some myself. Think I will order this weekend.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 AM
First Ford 2004
Senior User
First Ford 2004 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com View Post
In case it helps others, I replaced my 4x4 rear glass lift supports and now have 6'7" to the bottom of the pull handle in my 05 Excursion fitted with RAS so no longer hit my head. Folks down to maybe 5' tall should be able to reach the pull handle and folks up to that 6'7" mark have no chance of hitting their head. I didn't measure it, but I'd guess it would be about 6'11" or so from the ground to the metal on the liftgate.

The extended length of the 4x4 lift support is 14".
The extended length of the 4x2 lift support is 14.72".
The extended length of these is 15.87"!
There is another support available with an extended support length of 15.25".

The liftgate will support all the way up to 16.5" before hitting the roof of the vehicle. Someone 5'4" can reach the pulldown handle all the way to 16.25". The only thing to watch out for is the liftgate hitting the roof of your garage if the ceilings are low.

Lou Fishman is incredible to work with. Highly, highly recommended.

$22.05 each.
Lift Supports
Ordered some yesterday thanks
Being 6'5" I cant wait tell I dont whack my head on the hatch.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 AM
First Ford 2004
Senior User
First Ford 2004 is starting off with a positive reputation.
And I got some for the wifes acadia. I should have looked for the FB coupon oh well.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Pitcrw6
Postmaster
Pitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant future
I installed mine a month ago and a huge diff.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 PM
1 Excursion camper
Posting Guru
1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future
The shorter supports were for the soccer mooms they wanted to sell these to. that is also why they put the crappy soft rear springs on it. My OE supports are just starting to weaken just a bit. when they go I will at the very minimum go with the 2WD supports. or now maybe the ones that the OP is talking about!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Treker58
Senior User
Treker58 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Treker58 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Put the Strong Arm 6421 lift supports on, what a difference. Had about 1 1/2" inches clearance before standing on level ground, but had to duck down if I was backed up to a curb. Not anymore tons of clearance, don't know if the wife will be able to reach to close

Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 AM
twtcad
Senior User
twtcad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 AM
twtcad
Senior User
twtcad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
oops....double post

Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Apocalypse
Post Fiend
Apocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputation
Just ordered mine

Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 PM
SuperDad
Senior User
SuperDad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you know the part number for these supports? I need some!

Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com View Post
In case it helps others, I replaced my 4x4 rear glass lift supports and now have 6'7" to the bottom of the pull handle in my 05 Excursion fitted with RAS so no longer hit my head. Folks down to maybe 5' tall should be able to reach the pull handle and folks up to that 6'7" mark have no chance of hitting their head. I didn't measure it, but I'd guess it would be about 6'11" or so from the ground to the metal on the liftgate.

The extended length of the 4x4 lift support is 14".
The extended length of the 4x2 lift support is 14.72".
The extended length of these is 15.87"!
There is another support available with an extended support length of 15.25".

The liftgate will support all the way up to 16.5" before hitting the roof of the vehicle. Someone 5'4" can reach the pulldown handle all the way to 16.25". The only thing to watch out for is the liftgate hitting the roof of your garage if the ceilings are low.

Lou Fishman is incredible to work with. Highly, highly recommended.

$22.05 each.
Lift Supports

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want a TALL liftgate? Forget 4x2 lift supports.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.