Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

4inch lift on small tires

Old 04-22-2011, 02:34 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001 View Post
I wouldn't lift a 2wd truck.

If you lift it and put bigger tires on it, you will need to regear the axle for the larger tires too.
^^^^^^ THIs.

I like how Bills pickup looked befor the lift. I mean, if you can fit a specific size tire with nno lift, why lift it n keep the same little tires.

PLus, its two wheel drive. What purpose does it serve?

And a regear is a must, and wile your at it, a locker is a good add on too.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:58 AM
octaneforce
Elder User
octaneforce is starting off with a positive reputation.
maybe instead of lifting it, buy some 32's and find a set of offset rims (so you dont get any rub). i was lucky enough to find a wheel/tire set with 32s and it didnt rub at all on my stock 2wd 150. i just had to shim the bumper a little.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

my truck sat level, had plenty of ride height, and i thought it looked great with these tires. i have the stock ones back on for the summer right now. with my 2.73's it didnt seem to lose too much power either. but save up your money and get bigger tires if you want to lift it. i guess it really depends on what you are looking for.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:07 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Lifting a 2wd truck only hurts it, like Ty says. It hurts EVERYTHING.

Had I left my truck alone I'd have more power, better handling, better fuel economy, etc..

Old 04-22-2011, 11:10 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by octaneforce View Post
maybe instead of lifting it, buy some 32's and find a set of offset rims (so you dont get any rub). i was lucky enough to find a wheel/tire set with 32s and it didnt rub at all on my stock 2wd 150. i just had to shim the bumper a little.

my truck sat level, had plenty of ride height, and i thought it looked great with these tires. i have the stock ones back on for the summer right now. with my 2.73's it didnt seem to lose too much power either. but save up your money and get bigger tires if you want to lift it. i guess it really depends on what you are looking for.
Oh my gosh. Your truck is awesome. I want it. She's gorgeous.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6 View Post
If you look in my gallery I have some pictures of my truck before I lifted it with 31s on it. Your truck with 4" should be about 2" higher than mine when it was stock. Should be a decent visual aid.

PS Bill - Your truck is clean! I wish mine was in that good of shape. Someday I'll paint mine...
Hey thanks amigo!! I really appreciate your kind words. Honestly though pictures make my truck look a LOT cleaner than she really is. The clear coat is coming off, pin striping is coming off, chrome is beginning to rust, none of the lines match up..

I used to let all that bug me. Now I just smile and drive the ole' girl.

So you have a FlareSide too huh? I'm going to go check it out in your gallery!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
Regearing is not a must. I lifed my 95 4x4 with a 4 inch suspension lift and put 285/75r16 tires under it. I did not regear my truck, and I am glad that I didn't. My truck has 3.55 gears, which everyone said would suck with those tires. I disagree. Now I cruise at 50 mph down country roads at about 1700 rpm. Still getting 14 mpg too.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
danger-ranger93 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, Big-ugly, if I remember right, 285's are just a bit bigger than a 33, 33's and 3.55's aren't a terrible combo, in fact, I know quite a few folks running 33's and 3.55's and their results are quite similar to yours.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
You are correct danger-ranger, they measure just over 33" tall. I have been very pleased with my setup. I could easily fit larger tires under my truck, but this is my daily driver. Plus, I am only about 6 foot tall, and I have a hard enough time getting in as it is. Looking into some black nerf bars.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:18 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Trans type has a big thing to do with it too, manual, is easier to run with out a gear change. With a auto, you notice it more.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:20 PM
lew52
Postmaster
lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.lew52 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Really need to know what motor and trans and his gear ratio , before talking about gears , i don't think i would gear a 4.9 the same as a 5.0 , ......

Old 04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Staveys150
Senior User
Staveys150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by danger-ranger93 View Post
Well, Big-ugly, if I remember right, 285's are just a bit bigger than a 33, 33's and 3.55's aren't a terrible combo, in fact, I know quite a few folks running 33's and 3.55's and their results are quite similar to yours.
i hate my 33s 3.55 combo i think mainly because of my motor/trans.. 302 e4od. my truck HAS to downshift at every minor hill. if i dont rev it in 3rd to about 60mph it will have to downshift again to get to 64mph.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:42 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Staveys150 View Post
i hate my 33s 3.55 combo i think mainly because of my motor/trans.. 302 e4od. my truck HAS to downshift at every minor hill. if i dont rev it in 3rd to about 60mph it will have to downshift again to get to 64mph.
Yeah that is due to your motor/trans combination. I have a 4.9l with a m5od tranny, which helps a lot.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Staveys150
Senior User
Staveys150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
o yea.. but i hope my 351w swap will help a bit untill i save up enough for 4.10 gears.

OP: if your dead set on lifting it. i would make it 4x4 first

Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 PM
octaneforce
Elder User
octaneforce is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 6CylBill View Post
Oh my gosh. Your truck is awesome. I want it. She's gorgeous.
thanks! shes giving me some problems with exhaust leaks lately (shes lucky shes pretty). you have a real clean truck yourself. you totally nailed that war vehicle look you were goin for.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by octaneforce View Post
thanks! shes giving me some problems with exhaust leaks lately (shes lucky shes pretty). you have a real clean truck yourself. you totally nailed that war vehicle look you were goin for.
I've heard our 300's are bad about exhaust leaks. =/ Are you running a custom exhaust or stock?

And dude, thanks a TON.. that means a lot to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4inch lift on small tires

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.