General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

My interaction with a Cragslist scammer

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My interaction with a Cragslist scammer

My wife and I have been looking for a cheap cash car for $2500 or less, and were checking out Craigslist. We came across a few Honda Accords, and some other cars that were in our price range and were under 100,000 miles. We were shocked, so we emailed on all of them. Then the replies I started getting back all started looking alike. The car actually wasn't where I was and they were out of town due to divorce, death of a child, or some other sob story. Then it clicked.

Well, I just received an email back from the last car I emailed on (before I figured it out) on this car

Perfect Condition 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe

When I read the email, it was the same story, out of town, etc. It was then that the guy said he was going to Afghanistan on the 30th and in the Army. So I decided since this guy wants to pose as Military and use that lie to scam someone, I'll play along. These are our emails as of this morning.

On Apr 21, 2011, at 7:22 AM, Steve Klein <steveklein21@gmail.com> wrote:

My apologizes for the delay, my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe is in great Condition, super clean, 46,600 miles, no DINGS, no accidents, ALWAYS garage kept, service records up-to-date, clear title no loan or lien on it.
The price on it is $2,100. I am selling my car, because at the moment I’m in combat training at the Eglin Air Force Base and I am do to leave for Afghanistan on April 30th.

At the moment my car is at the shipping warehouse in Miramar Beach FL, because I had the car for sale on eBay a few weeks ago and I managed to sell it to a person from your area. The car was sent to him, but when it reached the destination, the buyer was unable to pay for it, because he didn't got a loan. The car was send back to me and remained at the shipping company until I was able to find another buyer.

Since my previous transaction failed I asked eBay to help me solve this issue. I will have it shipped with DAS Auto and I think I can have it delivered in 2-3 working days max. Don’t worry about the shipping price, I will pay it, because I am seeding it to same area and I will only pay a quartet of the price. And this is not all, after you receive my car you will get a 3 days testing period, before you decide buy it.

To make this deal happen I must ask eBay to send you the terms and conditions of the Buyback Protection Program, but before I can do that I need your approval. So if you agree please give me your full name, address and contact number(s) so that eBay can register you as a potential buyer and sent you the terms and conditions.

Please remember that at this moment you have no obligations what so ever, just read the Transaction Term and after that let me know if you are interested in doing this sort of transaction.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon!
To which I replied

I want the car but I've never done this before (paying over the Internet for a car). How does it work? Is it safe?

Hope to hear from you soon.
He asks for an address and name, but I OBVIOUSLY won't give him my address, so I'm debating on just making one up or giving him a real address to a strip club or something?

Waiting on a reply back form him, I'll take it as far as I can, and even go so far as to "send money".

I want to waste as much of his time as I possibly can, I hate scammers.

Craigslist just doesn't seem to have the same warm fuzzy feelings it used to have

Come on guys, lets get creative!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Send him the name of your local Police Chief with the address of Police headquarters (just number. street name and zip code).
See how he gets on with that.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
How about your work address?
Ask for his full name and HOR-Home Of Record. Ask for his phone number. Ask him what kind of unit he is in and his MOS. You gotta fudge with him!
I like how well he writes in the begining then start to mispeel ezy stuph twards the in.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Sounds like a good plan!
Ok, here's my address.

Dylan B. Walker
358 North Belknap Street
Stephenville, TX 76401

I didn't get a chance to thank you for your service to this great country of ours, so from one Vet to another, thank you. I just got back from a tour in Afghanistan, what's your MOS?

Glad I'm doing business with a fellow Vet.

Let me know when Ebay has set up my account.

Dylan.
That first name is my real name, I had to stick with it because I signed my first email with it, but the middle initial and last name are made up.

The address, is the Stephenville Police Department

Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Nicely done! Please keep us up to date, lol. This is gonna be fun!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Copedawg
Nicely done! Please keep us up to date, lol. This is gonna be fun!
Yeap, I'm soooooo excited about this fantastic deal on a car! lol

Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I belong to a web site that reports scammers from Africa and the Philippines ( Love Scams). There is prolly sites to report this kind of thing as well. Be sure to give all the info on this to the FBI fraud division. He will prolly get a visit from the black suits. And that would be the best ending for this story.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Originally Posted by arctic y block
I belong to a web site that reports scammers from Africa and the Philippines ( Love Scams). There is prolly sites to report this kind of thing as well. Be sure to give all the info on this to the FBI fraud division. He will prolly get a visit from the black suits. And that would be the best ending for this story.
I'll be sure to do that, and I'll keep in touch with you when this is all "done" and see if you could point me in the right direction when the time comes.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I will do that Dylan. I hate this stuff. I lost a lot of money a few years ago. So now I call em as I see em.

Also understand that if the scammer Google's any part of this thread it will bring him right to it.

He don't have to be a member here to read it.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Here's the reply I got from him, notice how he didn't answer or even acknowledge my questions about his MOS or thanking him for his "service".

Thanks for letting me know, I will make the final preparations for the shipping process and as soon as eBay gives me the green light I will start it immediately. I'll let you know when the shipping starts and provide you the tracking number.
As I said my last transaction failed, so the car was send back to me and at the moment I have it at a shipping warehouse in Miramar Beach FL, 25 miles from my base. The real problem is that I have to leave soon and I don’t have much time for a proper cash sell. The price is low so I can sell if real fast, believe me I tried a higher price but no one was interested. Besides that there is no one at the shipping company that could show you the car or supervise the test drive. Now you see why I am using eBay’s help, to sell my car.

The transaction will go like this: If you decide to buy my car you will have to send the payment to eBay, I can deliver it at your home address along with all the necessary documentations required for registration and this will include the keys. The documents will include bill of sale, car's manual, clear title, to prove the ownership and to be able to register car. The clear title and the bill of sale will be both signed, by me, so you can become owner of the car on spot.

After the shipping company delivers the car, you will have between 1-3 days to test it. The testing period will start after you receive the car. I think that 3 days will be more than enough to test it.
If you like my car and you decide to keep it, the deal is done. If you don't like it, eBay buyer protection will give you a full refund in the next 24 hours and after that the shipping company pick up the car and will sent it back to me. The return shipping is also covered.
I can assure you that the car is as described and it's in perfect working condition, because I wouldn't go to all this trouble if the car had problems.
Thanks again for your help and understanding.
Here is my reply

Sounds good, I need the VIN though before I can release the funds for the car per my bank regulations. I give them the vehicle info and then they give me the cash. If you can't get the VIN I may be able to work something out with my bank but I'm not sure. Plus, I'd like to check out a carfax, or if you could supply me with one?

What do you do in the Army? I know a few guys at Elgin Air Force base that are deploying in a few weeks, maybe they know you, small world!

Dylan

Old 04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
I would also talk to ebay about this....I'm sure their legal dept would LOVE to get in touch with this guy!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:11 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Originally Posted by BPofMD
I would also talk to ebay about this....I'm sure their legal dept would LOVE to get in touch with this guy!
Didn't think about that, I'll look into it, thanks!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like a nice fella to me... If it doesn't work out for you, maybe I will buy it!!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:27 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Eatonpcat
Sounds like a nice fella to me... If it doesn't work out for you, maybe I will buy it!!

Well I received two emails from eBay titled

eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection (Case ID: PP-705-066-337)

And a second email from eBay that said

Dear Dylan B. Walker,

The payment must be sent trough Western Union to the eBay representative (Pete Brown, Address: 767 Main St, Titusville, FL 32796, US) in charge with your transaction. The eBay agent has been randomly assigned by eBay's system and will handle the payment between the parties involved. Please follow the payment instructions in order to safely complete your purchase.

After the payment was made you have to e-mail us by replying at this e-mail the following payment information:

1. Case ID/Invoice #;
2. MTCN# (10 digits number found on the payment receipt);
3. Sender's Name and Address;
4. Receiver's Name and Address;
5. Total Amount Sent

Fax the Western Union payment receipt to eBay Financing Center Department at: (206) 337-7390

Funds will remain in our custody until you receive and inspect the vehicle and once the payment is confirmed, the seller will be instructed to ship the vehicle and provide shipping information. You will receive along with the car all documents needed for registration and both keys.
You will have the 3 day inspection period in which you can inspect and test drive the car, and take the decision of keeping or rejecting it. All fees and shipping taxes are included in the total amount.

Best Regards,
eBay Safe Harbor Team
Starting to wonder if it is a scam, as I would think that eBay would be on top of things like this?

I sent another email to the "seller".

I received the two emails from eBay, and I'm ready to take the dive into the Cobalt, but I really need the VIN before I feel comfortable purchasing the car.

What's your MOS? I'm just wondering if I'm doing business with another grunt.

The sooner I get the VIN the better.

Dylan

Quick Reply: My interaction with a Cragslist scammer