1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Install Second Camera - 2011 F-350

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
cameronm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Install Second Camera - 2011 F-350

I have a 2011 F-350 w/ factory installed rear view camera viewable via my rear view mirror (no nav).

I'm going to double tow a 5er + boat and I want to install a second camera on rear of RV and view the live feed on my rear view mirror while driving down the highway (not just in reverse).

Has anyone been able to accomplish this feat and if so what did you use?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:13 PM
F350BULLY
New User
Bump also interested in doing this

Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
lkbrow1
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok for the tech data. The camera connector beneath the tail gate is C497 and is a 6 conductor cable.
Pin 1 is Violet with Gray strip and is +12 volts
Pin 2 is White with Green strip and is Video +
Pin 3 is Brown with Violet strip and is Video -
Pin 4 is Black and is a ground shield for Video. This is Not power ground and should not be used for Power Ground.
Pin 5 is Black on Male connector and Black with White stripe on Female connector and is Power Ground.
Pin 6 is not used.

With this information just about any license plate camera may be used in place of the
one in the tailgate

Old 04-19-2011, 06:15 PM
cameronm
New User
Originally Posted by lkbrow1
Ok for the tech data. The camera connector beneath the tail gate is C497 and is a 6 conductor cable.
Pin 4 is Black and is a ground shield for Video. This is Not power ground and should not be used for Power Ground.
Pin 5 is Black on Male connector and Black with White stripe on Female connector and is Power Ground.
Pin 6 is not used.

With this information just about any license plate camera may be used in place of the
one in the tailgate
Thanks LKBROW1 for the technical details. I guess those details come in handy if I had to splice the cable and connect another camera. What I was hoping for was knowledge about leaving the factory cable intact <if possible> and just unplug the tailgate camera (assuming there's a quick disconnect). Then, using some other compatible camera I had hoped to just plug it directly back into the quick disconnect. Perhaps that's just a pipe dream and I'll have to end up splicing the cable but I'd prefer not too.

Also, given that the current camera only turns on when in reverse, I want the RV camera to display all the time.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For about $200 you could do it all wirelessly without affecting your existing camera setup and could easily move it from vehicle to vehicle. It is what I use. Works at night too.

Uniden - "Home"

Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
lkbrow1
Mountain Pass
You will not find a compatible connector for sale, anywhere. I am told that Ford supplies you with a weather proof cap if you remove your tailgate. Your best bet is to purchase a weather proof set of connectors and splice it into the wiring. You may find that supplying the camera with power while the key is on, will keep the display on but the display life may be shortened.

With low voltage video, gold plated contacts are a good idea. If the connector is not weather proof, either coat it and the wires with RTV or black tape. The tailgate area is a pretty harsh environment.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
99F-350CrewCab
Mountain Pass
You might want to look into this. I'm not sure the cost of it, but I ordered up the single camera system for something I'm working on at work. I work for Cat.

You can run up to 3 cameras with the cat system and switch between them pretty easily. They are designed to be on all the time, and have a built in heater to keep condensation off them. There are extension cables that you can get that will reach all the way back on your trailer and are water tight. The cameras are completely submersible. I've actually heard of guys using this for ice fishing.

If you want some more information on the system and can't find it, let me know and I can dig up some of the brochures for it.

Nice thing about it is that you can get parts at any Cat dealer for it.

Cat Work Area Vision System

Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Trucky2
Senior User
Your existing factory display likely won't have dual video inputs so you will have to install a switch of some sort to pick your feed. The factory camera uses a reverse sense to key the display power. Any add-on camera that you want to have "on" will need a way to fool the display to think you're in reverse. Many 3rd party displays have dual inputs and the ability to toggle the on/off without trickery.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Pin 6 is not used.

one in the tailgate

Excellent information. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 PM
cameronm
New User
Pin 6 is not used.

one in the tailgate
I contacted my local Ford parts guy and he can order me a replacement wire harness for my camera. My idea is to take the new wiring harness (cable + connector) and buy 30' or so additional 6 conductor cable and connect it to a second camera. The only thing I can't figure out is how to power the camera while driving down the road - not just when the reverse. Would it be possible to rewire the plug that turns the camera on to the lights on my truck or is that determined further up towards the head of the truck/rear view mirror?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM
lkbrow1
Mountain Pass
There is a fuse F49 that is the power for the rear view camera. This connects underneath the hood to Connector C1581 pin 30. So if you want to cut that wire and splice it into a circuit that works differently, this is the best place to do it at.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 AM
azgard
Junior User
Originally Posted by cameronm
I contacted my local Ford parts guy and he can order me a replacement wire harness for my camera. My idea is to take the new wiring harness (cable + connector) and buy 30' or so additional 6 conductor cable and connect it to a second camera. The only thing I can't figure out is how to power the camera while driving down the road - not just when the reverse. Would it be possible to rewire the plug that turns the camera on to the lights on my truck or is that determined further up towards the head of the truck/rear view mirror?
I would cut off the harness going to the cam, wire it up to a 10 pin connector with a 12v/ignition line running to the tailgate this additional line will allow you to have your always on cam like your searching for. From the 10 pin id break it out into 2 separate connectors one into the tailgate camera, the second into your aux cam. if you do it right you will be replacing the OEM harness with a larger one with 2 flying ends allowing you to just pull the wire from the trailer cam out and plug it in almost like hooking your trailer connector up. If you want more specifics feel free to ask. One other thing, your going to need to stick a relay in there to disable your tailgate camera so it wont pop on if you slap it in reverse.