2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced CVT Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 PM
rambothepilot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replaced CVT Solenoid

Replaced the CVT Solenoid in my 2004 5.4l today, and wanted to post a few thoughts. The Diagnostic Code from my reader was P0011 at the start of my problems, and by the time the part came by UPS code P0012 and a Ignition Coil code were also present. Took about 15 minutes for the entire job (Bank 1, the one where the power steering pump does NOT have to be moved), and a good bit of that was removing the seal. I ordered replacement seals, and was very happy with that decision. Even though 3 codes were displaying and the truck was running pretty rough by the time I did the repair, the results were immediate and the truck ran perfect on start-up, so I think the ignition coil code was a flyer.

Now a comment on Ford Parts, specifically Spradley/Barr in Greeley, CO. I went to the parts counter for the solenoid, and they asked for $180 something. I advised the rep that I liked to shop local, but not at the expense of paying an extra $100 for the part. He asked me what I wanted to do. I advised that the MSRP from Ford's own site was $130. He said he would sell it for that. I asked what the #$@& the $180 was about, he said that was just what they charge.

Absolutely disgusting. People in this area are poor, and unless they educate themselves at a site like this they are prime for the picking, and Spradley/Barr is happy to pick. I ordered TWO solenoids and 2 seals online delivered for about the same price as ONE from my friendly local Ford rip-off artist.

One of the tiny little mesh screens on the bad solenoid was missing, probably sucked into the part causing it to stick.

Thanks to all you members who have taken the time to post and show us how to care for our trucks and save money.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by rambothepilot
Replaced the CVT Solenoid in my 2004 5.4l today, and wanted to post a few thoughts. The Diagnostic Code from my reader was P0011 at the start of my problems, and by the time the part came by UPS code P0012 and a Ignition Coil code were also present. Took about 15 minutes for the entire job (Bank 1, the one where the power steering pump does NOT have to be moved), and a good bit of that was removing the seal. I ordered replacement seals, and was very happy with that decision. Even though 3 codes were displaying and the truck was running pretty rough by the time I did the repair, the results were immediate and the truck ran perfect on start-up, so I think the ignition coil code was a flyer.

Now a comment on Ford Parts, specifically Spradley/Barr in Greeley, CO. I went to the parts counter for the solenoid, and they asked for $180 something. I advised the rep that I liked to shop local, but not at the expense of paying an extra $100 for the part. He asked me what I wanted to do. I advised that the MSRP from Ford's own site was $130. He said he would sell it for that. I asked what the #$@& the $180 was about, he said that was just what they charge.

Absolutely disgusting. People in this area are poor, and unless they educate themselves at a site like this they are prime for the picking, and Spradley/Barr is happy to pick. I ordered TWO solenoids and 2 seals online delivered for about the same price as ONE from my friendly local Ford rip-off artist.

One of the tiny little mesh screens on the bad solenoid was missing, probably sucked into the part causing it to stick.

Thanks to all you members who have taken the time to post and show us how to care for our trucks and save money.
did it help your tick any?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:15 PM
rambothepilot
New User
The only noise I have had is the start-up diesel sound since it was new. I only replaced one side, so I am guessing when I go out to start the truck cold it will still make the noise, but I will post if it changes. The on-going tick that has been reported by others has not been a problem for me, but I am past 50 now and maybe the hearing is not as good as it could be.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Kynetx
Junior User
Originally Posted by rambothepilot
Lord, that's ugly. Thanks for the heads-up.

Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness."
Terry Pratchett (Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms)