Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:13 PM
jbounds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector question

Hey everyone! Hope all is well. I just have a hopefully quick question. About 2 yrs ago I swapped out my injectors on my e99 fromAB to AD. First off would this have caused any issues such as romping? And if so would it be because I have a e99 HPOP and not the 17* the AD injectors run off normally? I only ask now because it's starting to get cold and at my new job I can't plug her in. I went to start it today and it started really hard. It would fire for a second then shut off. This happened about 3-4 times and then it finally stayed running. On a normal day lets say summer time cold start it starts right up but I need to give it a little throttle so it doesn't romp. I'm not sure what the issue could be and have been associating it with the HPOP. Just trying to clarify everything up. Last would be I have an SCT programmer on it currently. Would a custom tune designed for the AD injectors help this issue? Thanks for all your help! Always helped me through everything

Old 01-05-2016, 04:52 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Romping can be greatly helped by switching over to synthetic 5W40 oil. I just did mine and it has made a HUGE difference. The hard starting can be helped by cycling the glow plugs for 45-60 seconds or more before trying to start. Tuen the key forward, wait at least 45 seconds and then try to turn it over. If your GP system is working properly, you will see a big difference there.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:03 PM
jbounds
Senior User
Yea I have been meaning to switch to the 5w40 and I installed an LED light hooked to the GPR and usually wait 120 second? I think it stays on for. But I have had to cycle them 2 or 3 times before putting in the new injectors this has been my only real issue since installing the AD's and not having it plugged in at work

Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
How cold was in in Troy, NY this AM? I was at 17 this AM in PA, gave my glow plugs two runs before turning over and it still took a little cranking but when it did start it wasn't too bad.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:28 PM
jbounds
Senior User
It was 4* when I parked my truck at work and 19* when I left I cycled the glow plugs a couple times before she actually stayed running

Old 01-05-2016, 08:21 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
There is not enough difference between AB and AD injectors to matter. A 15* pump will work just fine. It's likely the butt dyno would never know the difference in any of that.

If GP's are good (replaced with Motorcraft ZF11's with new injectors, right?), it's possible the GPR is no longer able to carry the load with worn/corroded contacts inside.

Try jumping the big terminals with a screwdriver and see if it starts better. If so - replace the relay.

The romps are often from thick oil. The 5w40 synthetic will DEFINITELY help in your situation.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:28 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
The SCT canned tunes suck. Get a Hydra/TS6 and some good tunes as soon as you can. I've used a few tuners and like Gearhead the best for daily driven tunes.

The programmers and their generic canned tunes often cause weak ICP and high IPR duty cycles... But, should not affect cold weather starts.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:07 PM
jbounds
Senior User
Thanks for the info Jason! And yes I did put motor craft plugs in. ( didn't want anything else after research) the relay was replaced a short time after they were done but for the $ it probably wouldn't hurt to replace it. I didn't have the money for a better programmer at the time or now even....I got the SCT used and about 1/4 the cost. I know I can get a custom tune for the SCT emailed to me and I can download it into the programmer now. Do you think this would be just as good because of the custom tune? I obviously know there are much better programmers out there but my funds are limited as I'm sure mod people's are.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:18 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
With good batteries, starter, injectors, GP's and a properly functioning relay - these engines will start below 0* with one full GP cycle (up to 2 min's). However, you can fully expect it to be grumpy as hell for a few minutes at those temps - especially with conventional 15w40 in the crankcase!

I'd say jump the relay and see if that makes a difference before throwing money at the problem (it is the smaller of the 2 relays btw - the big relay toward the front of engine is for AIH).

As far as custom tunes on the SCT go, I don't know what the options or limitations are?? That would be a great question for Matt at Gearhead. I do not think that will change cold-start though - unless it starts better with the 'stock' tune...

I've been using a Denso starter for the last few years (175k miles?) and that thing spins this motor like a BOSS!! Basically, all of the junk they sell at the autoparts stores suck. This starter needed new contacts at about 150k miles and it took longer to remove the starter than to replace the contacts (EASY and cost ~$30). It will probably need new bearings after about 250k miles and someday I can replace the motor if it wears out - all things easily done on the side of the road if needed. I'm done buying cheap, crap starters that are disposable - even if they come with a 'lifetime warranty'. I'm not suggesting you run out and switch starters - but I promise the Denso will make a difference in cold start situations. If you have a 'lifetime' starter from someplace, make them give your money back the next time it fails (and ya know it will! ) and put that toward the last starter you'll ever buy.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:41 PM
jbounds
Senior User
Very well I know I don't have an AIH on my truck and only have the one relay on top of the engine. To my knowledge everything is still working perfectly. But I will be switching out to the 5w40. I plan on getting Rotella synthetic. I have read that many people use it so I would imagine it's good? As for the SCT I believe they can pretty much do anything but I'm not sure as well but I will contact Matt and figure it out. As for starter it's still working good and if I ever have to replace it I'll definitely go with the denso seeing as it seems to be great for you! Thanks for all your help btw. Greatly appreciated

Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 AM
jbounds
Senior User
Anyone know how to find Matt from Gearhead. Is he a part of this forum? I know it's probably a stupid question but figured i would ask

Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts