1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

NSRA Southwest Nats plus in OKC

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great pics, thanks for sharing, (even with the brand-x stuff) Absolutely love that Texaco truck. My dad had a Tesaco station in the 50s-60s and there were trucks like that delivered gasoline. Amen to being period correct! Could you send me that pic? I'd like to use it as a screen saver, thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks for sharing. I also missed going this year. each time I go, I say "that was fun, won't be back next year." then a few roll by and I get the hankerin again. wanted to go this year, but didnt work out.

Say, what's up with all the post '48 stuff? years past had a strict cutoff unless you were in swap area? a thread on the hamb showed mostly muscle cars?!?! I don't mind the '50's stuff, for obvious reasons, but I don't really care to see muscle cars at a "street rod nationals" event...
*conclude rant*
JML

Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
NSRA opened it up just like goodguys and everyone else. Last year I saw everything in about 4 hrs of walking. This year, I didn't get to see everything, even with getting there about 9:30ish and staying to 6. The entry forms in the mags had it cutoff at '49 still but that was a error. My understanding is 30 years or older from now on. I took some car pics as well, things that cought my eye but mainly trucks. Glad everyone has enjoyed them. My buddy had his cobra out there and told earlier that the COE won 2 trophys i think, one in his class maybe and furthest tracveled, 1800 and some and he drove it whole distance.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
OK F1
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
SW Nationals

Well, I had the misfortune of attending on Friday. The temp was about 45 degrees when I got there at 10, and the wind was blowing about 25-35 MPH. Not many people showed up, and the vendors building stayed packed.

I also loved the Texaco Truck. I'm not sure if you caught it rolling, but it sounded meaner than it looked. very nicely done. The Effies were pretty well represented, saw 5-6 monkey faces, but I didn't see any 51-52s. Maybe they waited for Saturday when the temp was around 80, calm and sunny. Saw a greeeeaaaat maroon Slick Unibody too!

It seems Rat Rods are gaining favor too! Not really my thing, but some had many hours of work put in them to make them look thrown together!

It was a good show, but I wish I'd waited til Saturday to go!

On a side note, I may have found another project truck a pretty solid 49 F-1, if he didn't sell it at the show!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Thanks for sharing Epp. I have a 1st cousin who lives in Mustang, OK and he is always trying to get me to come out. The truck flavor seemed strong based on your pics

Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be a growing swing toward classic trucks. I am seeing more and more of them and all built differently. Besides they are just cool I also think it a matter of money. Trying to build anything else anymore has just become so expensive. They talk about swapping crate motors that cost more than what I have in my whole truck, so far.

Your great pictures gave a good sample of the trucks out there.

jim

Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 PM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
there were allot of trucks this year, thats for sure. I just didn't post many of the car pics. I did take some, just not as many as truck. Opeining up the years that can atend really brought in the cars and trucks this yr. Last year I saw it all in 4 hrs, this year i didn't even get close in 10 hrs

Old 04-21-2011, 05:43 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that opening up the years has created some controversy but over all I think it is a good thing. As you stated there are so many new cars/trucks you can't see them all in a day which is a good thing. More people in the sport the better.

I think the hidden improvement and which will become more evident later on is the graying of the sport. Face it there are a lot of gray beards in this. This is not a bad thing but we always need to bring more young people in all the time to keep this alive. For some, the really older cars/trucks of the 20s, 30s, & 40s is where it's at but there is also a large and growing segment of newer people who want 50s & 60s style cars/trucks for themselves. That will continue to evolve over the years.

Mu personal opinion is the more of these trucks we can save regardles of the years it is a good thing and I support it. Will my truck ever be "good enough" to be at a NSRA event, I doubt it. I don't have the time or money to reach that level but that is ok because my truck's only job is to carry my smile around and it does that quite well.

Again thanks for the pictures.

jim