6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

55° EOT - ECT Δ. Working >400mi from home. Need tech advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 AM
foul1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use dionized h2o for work all the time you could rent a tank for 100 bucks should give you 550+ gallons of pure h2o. just an option.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
Originally Posted by foul1
I use dionized h2o for work all the time you could rent a tank for 100 bucks should give you 550+ gallons of pure h2o. just an option.
Well, building on this:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
I was thinking the same about running a cleaner in that way. Even using a hand pump of some sort and running Restore in a clean hot bucket of water and start the cleaning process from that point.

Maybe one day I'll try it.
I had an idea that maybe I could get a 5gal bucket w lid. Install a sealed 5/8" pvc pipe through the lid and cut the length to within ~1/4 of the bottom of the bucket and attach the end coming out the top to a length of hose. The other end of the hose would of course have the rubber stopper & elbow like in juzatheman's post, Replaced oil cooler still difference in temps - Page 38 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum(thanks to amdriven2liv for the referrence) . Then I could drill a ~1/4" hole in the lid to press the rubber tip of a compressed air nozzle. Dump the cleaner in, fill with hot distilled water, seal the lid, pressurize with air hose nozzle to backflush the oil cooler with an initial blast of air followed by up to 5gal of hot cleaner solution.

What's the maximum safe pressure the system can take?

Which cleaner to use? Restore, Restore Plus, both?

New thing I just read about VC-9:
In this same thread referred to above, Jugernaut emphatically stated that VC-9 is not a cleaning agent but but a metal conditioning agent meant to oxidize exposed surfaces, rendering those surfaces unavailable for reaction when the system is refilled with coolant & distilled water.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Oh, and here is a link to a pictorial of a EGR delete and oil cooler replacement job:

Rob's truck build - New York Mustangs - Forums

if you deleate your egr dont change your intake manafold like the one in the pictures. In the pictures where the egr valve goes is welded. No way to mount the egr

keep the stock intake manafold and keep your egr valve plugged in and mounted this way your fan will work and you wont overheat this summer

then you can get a tunner to turn off the light for egr flow codes if its needed

these photoes give you a good idea of the work involved

Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
if you deleate your egr dont change your intake manafold like the one in the pictures. In the pictures where the egr valve goes is welded. No way to mount the egr

keep the stock intake manafold and keep your egr valve plugged in and mounted this way your fan will work and you wont overheat this summer

then you can get a tunner to turn off the light for egr flow codes if its needed

these photoes give you a good idea of the work involved
So the fan won't come on if the EGR valve's wiring harness isn't connected?
That's the way I'm running, unplugged.

Tell me if I'm right here:
Isn't it better that I have the valve electrically disconnected and in the off position so that the exhaust gasses aren't allowed to pass through and heat up the EGR and increase the possibility of the flash boiling that causes sudden expansion in the coolant system and possible vapor lock?
I think it's in the off position.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
your right but with a catch
and that flash boiling is what causes the golden goo it just compleates the circle and ands up in your oil cooler
does your ses light come on with the egr valve unplugged
my 03 egr valve is unplugged and I dont get a ses light my fan does come on at least when its dead middle of summer hot . I dont know if it should be coming on more? it doesnt get hot
03-early04 maybe an exception
05-07 need the egr valve plugged in to compleate the circut to the fan
I think it was the guy that took the pictures had a thread a couple weeks ago said he had coolant puke and overheating attributed to no egr valve no fan

Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
I can't recall ever having my ses light com on.

I'm pretty sure I heard my fan come on the other day. That's why I asked. Maybe my engine is just before the fan got hooked up that way.

I do have an '04 engine.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jfirstford
I can't recall ever having my ses light com on.

I'm pretty sure I heard my fan come on the other day. That's why I asked. Maybe my engine is just before the fan got hooked up that way.

I do have an '04 engine.
Iv been trying to track it down better heard of a few problems involving the egr valve and fan operation
Im getting ready to do my oil cooler and want to deleate my egr cooler if Im exempt from emissions
so for now its unplugged and Iv heard my fan come on

Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I think, so what ever that means, the fan issue is on later models, 05 and up that had a newer flash installed. Some 04's have reported no EGR codes thrown when unplugging the valve. Newer models will. Then if I remember right, Ford added a fan issue for what ever reason. But, those were in the newer models.

Just like Ford added the "wrench light" thrown for ECT vs. EOT temp spread, but it doesn't work on 04's. (tsb 09-24-3)(it also does FICM low volts)

Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
So I made it back home ok from East TX to Memphis before Easter. It happened to work out that the ambient temperature dropped to 55° as I was driving home. I was able to do about 70mph, my ECT was ~173° and my EOT was ~219°.

Last week I rounded up 2Qts of VC-9, a gallon each of Restore and Restore Plus, a couple of 5gal buckets with tops and some CPVC fittings to rig a pressure reservoir to backflush the oil cooler.

This past Sat I used the 5gal bucket rig with hot distilled water and some Restore Plus to backflush the oil cooler. It worked!
I'm sure it plugged right back up with the crap still in system, but that was just an experiment in between the ridiculous amount of storms we've been getting here in the Mid South to see if it would work. The weather is finally better so I'm getting back to it in earnest.

There is still so much crap in the system that I'm thinking of flushing with tap water from my garden hose to get the bulk of the stuff out and then follow up with distilled water.

BTW, I'm very curious to know if VC-9 is the same as Restore Plus. Why? Look at the cost difference:
1QT VC-9 from local dealer $23.85
1GALLON Restore Plus from local dealer $26.31 (or $6.58 per Qt.)

Old 05-04-2011, 02:21 PM
pjerrn
Senior User
Can You post Pics of the system to back flush. very curious.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
I opened all the drains and stuffed the hose in where the thermistate goes and just let it flush I dont think the type of water is our problem

But maybe you could astick the hose in where you back flushed your oil cooler IDK

Id like to see if when you get it flushed if the spread will close

Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
I'll be working on it tomorrow.

I'll take some pics and report back with my results.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pjerrn
Can You post Pics of the system to back flush. very curious.
me to.I did the restore and restore + flush and got temps 5* closer,but I'm still at 21* difference.if I were to do it again I would leave the t stat in to get it hot.I could barely get to 140-150ect,but my oil temps were 160-180. Also,I never got any goo,or black water,it always flushed clear.I will definitely give the back flush a try before I put antifreeze back in.can't wait to see those pics!.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 PM
jfirstford
Senior User
******** width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J8ezs4O6Tsg?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">*********>

Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Good job! So, you did use the Restore through that and not the Restore +. I wonder how your oil cooler looked before and after.

The Restore+ and VC-9 are supposed to be the same. The Restore is different. From what I understand.

Did you have the lower radiator hose off while back flushing the oil cooler?

Reps. to you!

Quick Reply: 55° EOT - ECT Δ. Working >400mi from home. Need tech advice.