Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
skidooman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't driven one of those ecoboost driveline trucks yet, I would like too. However, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket with a diesel vs gas video like this. I'd sooner drive my 5.4L another few years until the Ecoboost has its teething complete. Lets see the Ecoboost last for 15 years with no changes and no catastrophic failures. Then its proven something. Its been out for what...2 years? Not even a full year in a truck.

I do know a backhoe/digger owner/operator that had chebbies all his life. He switched to a '09 F150 with the 5.4/6sp trans and was totally blown away at the capability of it compared to his previous 06 chev 1500. Now he has upgraded to a F150 with the Ecoboost and is even more impressed. He regularly tows a Bobcat/Dump trailer combo.

I hope it proves to be a long lasting/hard working engine!!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
For some reason, the info says its a straight pipe exhaust. Some of my friends have that, and their Cummins' sound quite a bit more wicked than that one did. Not saying that the ecoboost isnt stong, just being observant...

Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 96sherm
I haven't driven one of those ecoboost driveline trucks yet, I would like too. However, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket with a diesel vs gas video like this. I'd sooner drive my 5.4L another few years until the Ecoboost has its teething complete. Lets see the Ecoboost last for 15 years with no changes and no catastrophic failures. Then its proven something. Its been out for what...2 years? Not even a full year in a truck.
X2, and might I add, very well said!

Youtube drag races always have to be taken with a grain of salt as well.

I have no doubt in my mind they are fast though. My worry is about reliability. Ford has made some very very VERY poor 6 banger engines (excluding the legendary 300 straight) and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth about throwing a turbo on one. (anyone remember the 3.8's with a turbo? Fast but blew head gaskets like a 6.0 diesel!)

Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 PM
skidooman
Posting Guru
I drove a ecoboost crew cab 4X4 with 3.73 axle(same configuration as my truck) tonight and all I can say is WOW!!!!! My 5.4l wouldn't stand a chance!! Even with my programer set to Extreme that ecoboost would blow the doors off my 5.4!! I really wish I would have kept my '07 a little longer and bought a ecoboost, but at the time I was thinking a V6 for pulling my camper, ya right!!! But after some research I will probably buy a ecoboost for my next truck in a few years if they hold up.

I would compare the power of the ecoboost to that of a '05 mustang GT I took for a spin a few years back. Pulling onto the highway and putting you foot about halfway down, plants you in the seat pretty good, brakes the back tires loose and puts the truck sideways! There is also no noticeable turbo lag at all, only the fly by wire lag that my truck has also.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds very intriguing for sure... typically though, forced air induction gasoline motors have a shorter life span than NA gasoline motors, or FA Diesel engines. Perhaps with proper research and technology manufacturers should be able to overcome that in modern times.

That being said, all the emmissions bullspit that modern diesels are plagued with is likely shortening the lifespan of them also.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Now I`ll have to take an ecoboost test drive, sounds like it`s a good performer!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 PM
skidooman
Posting Guru
I'm not too worried about a forced air gas engine, I used to have one in a thunderbird turbo coupe. The main problem is that people don't remember to let the turbo cool down before shutting down the gas engine. where as it is a common practice with diesel owners.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:05 PM
TheSilverBullet
Senior User
So far so good with my EcoBoost. Plenty of power and very quiet motor.
I bought it at the end of April, and now I have over 13,000 kms on it with no issues.
Raced a few trucks, new 2011 5.0 L ford and a 2010 5.3L Chev. No problem beating them both.

We will see how the reliablity is. I have no problem being a tester of the first model. Lol.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:31 PM
blackknight
Freshman User
All is good with mine as well, absolutely love it.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice to hear some good reports, I want one as well but it will be a year or two before I get one. How is the mileage with them? Is it as good as they say?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
t_dickie
Laughing Gas
My brother just picked one up the other day, a loaded FX4 supercrew. Only drove it for a couple miles cause he was low on gas, but it was impressive. From a stand still there was MAYBE a 1 second turbo lag, but once they got spooled up she was gone. Perhaps that'll go away once he gets a few more km on it.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm sort of intrigued by this topic, but I already see a major issue... mostly dealing with the quote below...

Originally Posted by TheSilverBullet
So far so good with my EcoBoost. Plenty of power and very quiet motor.
I bought it at the end of April, and now I have over 13,000 kms on it with no issues.
Raced a few trucks, new 2011 5.0 L ford and a 2010 5.3L Chev. No problem beating them both.

We will see how the reliablity is. I have no problem being a tester of the first model. Lol.
This is the type of problem that most will probably run into when one day their ecoboost breaks down and takes a couple grand to fix. All brand new vehicles are required to be broken in before you mash the pedal to the floor... many forget this because they're so enthused with having that "pushed to the seat" feeling when their lead foot kicks in.

I've never driven an ecoboost vehicle yet, but from what it sounds like, it's almost like what Pontiac was trying to do with their vehicles for the past few years. Almost all Pontiacs were fast off the line, which is a great feeling at a red light, don't get me wrong... but they gave out at 130,000 - 160,000 kms... jeez... wonder why?

I think I'm with the majority of the crowd on this one. I'll stick with my '78. She's rusty, but she's trusty... 500,000 kms on it and still going strong.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,351 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
stick with my '78. She's rusty, but she's trusty... 500,000 kms on it and still going strong.
I hear you....while a new ride is nice plus you can actually work on your`s.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I sorta agree with ya Aaron, and I definately see your point but...

Technology really has come a long ways, and the days of needing to work under the hood are, generally, gone. The need for it is alot rarer, hence why they are more complicated (Im assuming)

I still get a bad taste just from ford's previous v6's. I cant get those outta my head!

Quick Reply: Another reason why I want a Ecoboost!