Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3 Water Seperator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PLC7.3
It could be possibly a not tight enough filter or base........

Remove the base WIF (water in fuel) wire, drain the filter at the water drain on the base of about 1/2 cup or all fuel if you so wish. Then unscrew the filter, I use a oil filter wrench to break it loose. Remove the base, toss the filter and old fuel. Clean the filter base of any crud, close the drain. Now install the filter on the base with the Oring lubed hand tight, if you have it fill the filter 3/4 full with fuel additive via the outer holes in the filter If you use diesel then use fresh and pour it gently into the outer holes only. Install the upper seal on the filter, lube it, then screw the filter on the header, hand tighten then 1/2 turn more by oil filter wrench. Connect the wire and drain tube. Start the engine....check for leaks. You may want to purge air at the Schrader valve from the filter while cranking for start. Read the info below and use the parts list for part #s

Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI

Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI

I did exactly what you said two weeks ago. I think my problem is the old, dry O-ring in the water drain. I could have almost bought a dang Raycor setup for the price of two filters in two weeks.

When I took the filter off this evening, it was 1/8 below being full. i don't think the rear tank running out helped my problems, but the filter should be 100% full if operating properly. I will pick up the $40 filter tomorrow and hopefully fix my problem.

Also, what is this sensor people speak of? I have a fuel heater and suction sensor on the head but nothing else in the filter itself or on the water separator. I don't see how the filter would matter as far as water in fuel sensor is concerned.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Add to the fun that I felt the heater hose below the fuel filter and noticed a blister-like bump on the top. I think I will need to replace that hose before it gets worse, especially since I have a 4000 mile trip coming up.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 AM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

The wires in my hand all belong on the fuel filter houseing.....

Attached Images    
Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Dark Horse
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think my problem is the old, dry O-ring in the water drain. I could have almost bought a dang Raycor setup for the price of two filters in two weeks.
If you are referring to the oring Pictured in img_0043 in your earlier post I replaced mine with a fat oring closest I could find to the same od and Id (I don't remember the size) it has been a year no leaks so far.

Mine was also leaking at he Schroeder Valve (I misspelled it on the picture)
I hope you don't mind I copied some of your pictures and add labels for future use I didn't think to take pictures when I had mine apart it looked just like yours does in the pictures . O rings are a lot cheaper than another filter I intend to get the other filter next time the fuel filter needs to be changed .

Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
If you are referring to the oring Pictured in img_0043 in your earlier post I replaced mine with a fat oring closest I could find to the same od and Id (I don't remember the size) it has been a year no leaks so far.

Mine was also leaking at he Schroeder Valve (I misspelled it on the picture)
I hope you don't mind I copied some of your pictures and add labels for future use I didn't think to take pictures when I had mine apart it looked just like yours does in the pictures . O rings are a lot cheaper than another filter I intend to get the other filter next time the fuel filter needs to be changed .
Oh, so that's what that disconnected wire goes to. OK, that makes sense now. Does Napa or O'reilly have a compatible Schroeder valve that I can just swap in? I'll replace the gasket in the water drain, too.

You can use my picture. You forgot to label the .38Spl in the right corner, though...

Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Dark Horse
Senior User
I never asked I found a setscrew that fit the thread in the Schroeder valve hole and an oring from an assortment I got from harbor freight there is a shoulder near the bottom of the hole that the valve seals against . o ring set screw with permatex forma gasket sealer in the threads to help them seal just snug the set screw down enough to make the oring seal against the shoulder. be sure to use the one that stays soft and pliable so you can take the setscrew out later if you need to. I took mine apart about 4 times and replaced the orings before i figured out where the leak was It is a 40 plus mile round trip to town and by this time I just wanted it FIXED. and this was before I discovered FTE so I was kind of out there on my own.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:05 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought the shrader valve was the located above the FF. Isn't it the bleeder that looks like a tire fill end?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Dark Horse
Senior User
You forgot to label the .38Spl in the right corner, though..
Since you mentioned it

Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by snaponprofile
I thought the shrader valve was the located above the FF. Isn't it the bleeder that looks like a tire fill end?
There is one in the water filter bowl as well. I'm not sure of its purpose seeing that the water drain screw is the way I would drain it. I might just wind up doing what Dark Horse did and delete the thing.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Since you mentioned it

I think the question mark in the left corner was a remote control. That or a rocket launcher.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Dark Horse
Senior User
I don't know why it is there I haven't found any mention of it in any manuals I have access to. like Eaton9999 I wasn't willing to spend $40 for a second filter if I could help it.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Dark Horse
Senior User
I know it might be a little late But I just found this on a Ford Service Manual CD

Maybe it will be useful for some one else.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:56 AM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

dark horse where can 1 find a FSM cd like you have not sure where to look

Old 04-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Dark Horse
Senior User
I lost the receipt and the link when windows crashed and I had to reformat the hard drive and start over but I found the hard copy receipt today . This is the website I got it from : http://www.*****************.com/199...rvice-rep.html I think there has been a price increase since I bought mine.

I don't know why the forum won't let me post this link Pm Me and I will send you the website.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 04-16-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: fix url in link?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:33 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
You may find this interesting reading....... some parts are not now available at ford dealers.

Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI

Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI

Quick Reply: 7.3 Water Seperator Leak