1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Lowering my frontend with out dream beams.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedf100
I saved up money and bought the drop beams when I was 17 and making $5.50 an hour lol. I think they were $400 than. And its going to look terrible lowered only up front imo.
they look goofy when they are lowered in the rear.

I would really like it if you could just lower it about 1.5 inches instead of 3 inches. Just a little rake. I think they sit too high but 3 inches is too low for my personal taste.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MikePacey
HIO I guess I'll start doing that I just don't want to spend my whole year earnings on them LOL. And smartass kid I'm just gonna lower the front for now I like a nice rake. If it doesn't look good then I'll do the shackle flip.
Great to hear... Set the goal and work your ways towards it. Are there things you can "give up" for a while?. Every nickle and dime adds up. I spend about $4 a day on coffee at work... there are 22 weekdays in a month... that's $88 I spend on coffee. If I give it up for a few months then I can have dream beams too! (That's just an example to illustrate my point).

Allz I am saying is that there are certain things that one should NOT cheap out on. Your safety (and ours since we all have to share the road) should not be one of them. After pouring your heart and soul into getting your rig the way you want it, then potentially wrecking it after a steering/suspension failure doesn't make sense. Do it once. Do it right.

We all have inklings to take shortcuts simply because of the cost but here is where you really shouldn't. ..lest you sell it and get flamed on "Rants of Previous Owners"... those are a riot.

Remember, birthdays and Xmas are great events for truck parts!!! If you show that your hard work shows in improving your truck then mom, pops, uncles, and aunts may pool their $$ and get your drop beams so drop'em PLENTY of hints... alot better than new socks and T-shirts ....unless of course yours have welding burns and oil spots from working on your rig!!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 PM
shookdaddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey man i like the raked look to as long as its no a stupid amount of drop on the front compared to the rear like i said before i did mine n it looks good i get comments everywhere i go im kinda computer illiterate so i dont know how to load pics to show u so if anyone can give me some pointers on how to load pics ill put some on here its not a show trk but its not bad either

Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
There are no issues from me on how it looks. I am a firm believer of each person making their own informed decisions. I am however opposed to "hacking" as the ends to the means to get a desired stance.

Posting pics? There's a guide in FTE describing how... I recall it's in the "Read First" section of this forum.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 PM
shookdaddy
Senior User
no i dont belive in hacking up vital parts on ur trk expecially when it comes to saftey but there is other ways to do things the rite way and save money plus my sin is giong to be driving this truck so i would not do anything to put my son in danger of anything happening to him but there is ways of doing things n save money but it also depends on ur skill level if u dont think this is a job for u then u dont have to try it just tryn to be helpfull n add my opinion

Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Great to hear... Set the goal and work your ways towards it. Are there things you can "give up" for a while?. Every nickle and dime adds up. I spend about $4 a day on coffee at work... there are 22 weekdays in a month... that's $88 I spend on coffee. If I give it up for a few months then I can have dream beams too! (That's just an example to illustrate my point).

Allz I am saying is that there are certain things that one should NOT cheap out on. Your safety (and ours since we all have to share the road) should not be one of them. After pouring your heart and soul into getting your rig the way you want it, then potentially wrecking it after a steering/suspension failure doesn't make sense. Do it once. Do it right.

We all have inklings to take shortcuts simply because of the cost but here is where you really shouldn't. ..lest you sell it and get flamed on "Rants of Previous Owners"... those are a riot.

Remember, birthdays and Xmas are great events for truck parts!!! If you show that your hard work shows in improving your truck then mom, pops, uncles, and aunts may pool their $$ and get your drop beams so drop'em PLENTY of hints... alot better than new socks and T-shirts ....unless of course yours have welding burns and oil spots from working on your rig!!!!
X2 on everything you said HIO............. Except...........I didn't know that my T shirts werent supposed to have any welding burns or oil spots??????????????

Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
I think they look awesome when lowered in the rear. I lowered mine 4 in the front and 7 in the rear.

Name:  IMG_0836.jpg
Views: 12332
Size:  84.2 KB

Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea, but yours is a race truck so lowering helps traction, etc., etc.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mwvdub
I think they look awesome when lowered in the rear. I lowered mine 4 in the front and 7 in the rear.

Looks good,race or street,my opinion. I see it does take a lot of drop to make one of these trucks look right. Any more would be to much for me and any less would be a wast of time, work and money. Mines a 79 f-100 and i can see now i need to drop it the same as yours or leave it alone. JIM

Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I dropped a 78 F100 about 15 years ago. 4" front 6" rear and it was just perfect. I was in Wyoming at the time and the roads there are about like they are in Idaho, Jim. Any more than what I did would have made it all but undrivable with our crappy roads....... BTW used DJM kit and it was high quality stuff.......................worked just like it was supposed to.......

Old 04-14-2011, 01:15 PM
smartass_kid
Senior User
Originally Posted by 78 PEB
I dropped a 78 F100 about 15 years ago. 4" front 6" rear and it was just perfect. I was in Wyoming at the time and the roads there are about like they are in Idaho, Jim. Any more than what I did would have made it all but undrivable with our crappy roads....... BTW used DJM kit and it was high quality stuff.......................worked just like it was supposed to.......
wwhatever happened to the truck?
wonder if kit is still on it.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:37 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Bite the bullet or start saving $50 from each paycheck and go with dropped beams...It's pre-engineered and alot SAFER than bending the stock beams. How much does piece of mind cost these days?... to me, alot less than wadding your rig up against a guard rail. Do the math.

$0.05.
I'd trust modified stock beams over dream beams or JDM all day long depending on who did them - especially if that person was me. Just because a major company didn't make the beams DOES NOT by any means conclude they are unsafe. YES, beams are not something to be messed with by a 1st timer, but they can easily be done.

For the OP. You beams CAN be bent to correct the caster issues you will see when lowering the front end by cutting the coils or using a "drop" coil. Any GOOD alignment shop (read mom and pop type) who has been around for years should hopefully be able to do it. Think of ones that work on big trucks - ie: medium duty trucks up to semis. A lot of the bigger trucks have solid axles and are aligned by bending the things. Same concept on our trucks.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:10 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 78 PEB
What part of Ideeho,L.O.L. [ Idaho] are you located in ? I,m in the southwest corner, about 35 miles west of Boise.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 PM
smartass_kid
Senior User
never been a fan of cutting coils, but some "country engineering" is ok!

for example a lifted cherokee can use 91 chevy front brakes lines versus using an expensive extended line kit for the front. just gotta grinda small lip off the caliper.

anyone know if coils from thing else could be swapped in to lower it?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mwvdub

Your truck is the deffinition of sexy!

Quick Reply: Lowering my frontend with out dream beams.