1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Another srp1 hpop failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
ryhed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another srp1 hpop failure

So from what I gathered I am the fourth or fifth pump to go bad. Anyone know what went wrong with the first few? I got this pump from the january or february batch. Also. Bulla, what were your contributing factors to the pump failure? I bought an srp1 in february, have less than 500 miles on it, put maybe 10 hard miles on it. I rarely push my truck on the high hp setting and my pump has already failed. It is still in the truck and I will let you know if it has metal falling out of it by monday, possibly friday. Also did you have to flush your motor out to clean out the shavings? Did gary re imburse you for the labor charges? I don't see why i have to pay for labor again on a pump that failed in less than 500 miles with regular use, as in i keep my chip in the fuel economy position for 490 miles of 500. Anyone find any other threads on any forums about the srp1 failures? I did a google search and this was all that I came up with. Thanks,
Ryan.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I only know of one other failure and you mentioned him.

Also, Autozone won't reinburse you for having to swap out a bad alternator, why would Gary pay you to swap to a different pump? It just doesn't work that way.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
ryhed
Junior User
Well being that i am using another one of his pumps. I'm out $700 dollars because i was sold a defective product. I'll call and ask him, worst he could say is no. I don't have the tools necessary to do it myself here in wyoming or i would and i'm stuck here till my truck gets fixed. Well at least it didn't happen to me on the way home. an 1180 mile trip with nowhere to stop and fix it in south dakota for miles would have been a pretty hefty tow bill.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ryhed
Well being that i am using another one of his pumps. I'm out $700 dollars because i was sold a defective product. I'll call and ask him, worst he could say is no. I don't have the tools necessary to do it myself here in wyoming or i would and i'm stuck here till my truck gets fixed. Well at least it didn't happen to me on the way home. an 1180 mile trip with nowhere to stop and fix it in south dakota for miles would have been a pretty hefty tow bill.
Are you sure its the pump?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:43 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
from what i understand all the pumps that have indeed failed so far have consumed there selves from the inside out leaving shards of metal going threw the injection system. not sure if its too early to call it but if it was only 1 or 2 pumps out of a few hundred sold thats not bad. BUT this is like said the 4th or 5th pump out of the 100, but it was also a month or so ago that i read they had sold 100 so who knows how many have been sold since then. yeah i think ill stick with joey

Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for your troubles bro! Been there done that. I did flush out my oil system and have still been able to find small shards in the res gasket screen. No he did not pay for any labor, as his said it just dint work like that. I know it's frustrating! Not sure in an obs but on my sd it only takes about 45 min to change it out. Have you sent your core in? When mine went out I still had my core so I swapped it and she fired right up. As far as signs before it went out, it was making a grunting sound kinda like a bull frog. That's the only sighn I had. Oddly enough it started making the same noise again so this time I pulled it and am sending it to Gary so he can look at it before it actually goes kapoey!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as my first pump when u said there were other contributing factors it was a third party problem. I purchased it from a company that had tried it on another truck before I got it. They did tell me they ran the truck with my pump on it but said it was minimal run time and no harm done. I was a sucker and said I'll take it. Shortly after it failed. In the midst of explaining to Gary what happened when my pump failed I told him that the company that sold it to me said they had ran it but was having bleed down issues. He immediately knew the truck and pump and was extremely upset that they had resold the pump before it was sent in and checked out. Since Gary has been very cooperative and working with me to help in any way. He did offer me to give me my money back or he would send me a new pump immediately. I told him if this failure was a fluke then I would give another one a shot. Within a week I had my new pump. I'm sure none of this helps but it's my background on the pump and where I stand as of now!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ryhed
Well being that i am using another one of his pumps. I'm out $700 dollars because i was sold a defective product. I'll call and ask him, worst he could say is no. I don't have the tools necessary to do it myself here in wyoming or i would and i'm stuck here till my truck gets fixed.
I'm willing to bet you could have bought the tools necessary to swap it out yourself for quite a bit less than $700.

I like Jim's comparison with the autozoo alternator. If you just buy parts, don't expect labor to be covered. If you want a labor warranty, buy the parts from the shop that does the labor. That's just the way it works.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 AM
ryhed
Junior User
i hope to god the seals went out and it didn't shred. part should be in today and i will know. i'm supposed to leave tomorrow. Already sent my core back otherwise i'd a been long gone.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 AM
ryhed
Junior User
Not having the tools was only part of the problem, working 70 hrs a week then working a side job left me no time to do it.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
One thing I have learned over the years:
-- Don't hop-up your daily driver. Use stock parts for reliability.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 AM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
thats no fun!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:09 PM
ryhed
Junior User
Originally Posted by Action4478
Are you sure its the pump?
Pretty sure! Just talked to the mechanic today and he said that there were metal shavings protruding past the seal, so it did in fact self destruct,I looked at it and it wasn't as bad as the pump in bulla's video. Luckily it barely started to go so I won't need to flush the whole injection system just change the oil and filter. Other thing bad is the pump has not even been finished yet so I have to hang around a few more days in wyoming.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM
ryhed
Junior User
Oh yeah, the description of the parts says stock reliability and We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale. So take it with a grain of salt whenever you read anything about brand new after market parts. I do however feel I was just one of the unlucky customers who got a bad pump and that the manufacturer does make quality components, time will tell.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
73strokin
Senior User
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
Nothing wrong with that! Just use proven/reliable parts and make mild mods.

Quick Reply: Another srp1 hpop failure