1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

38 gallon rear tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
38 gallon rear tank?

Noticed a little wetness on my rear tank after filling today and a couple drips after parking... So need a new rear tank.

Has anyone used one of the aftermarket 38 gallon tanks that are available? I would like hte extra capacity as this would give me about 57 gallons. Any issues with clearance or anything? What modifications are necessary to the sender to make it work, as they mention instructions for modifying? I would assume lengthen pickup tube and lengthen arm on the float. Do they sell senders made to fit these larger tanks? My rear sender is on the fritz so needs to be replaced anyhow, it reads empty when full then goes half tank and back to empty when it gets empty.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
IIRC these tanks came from the factory on some Broncos (my brother has one, a 96) so I'd
imagine you could get Bronco sender/pump parts.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:34 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I swear to god the number one thing that I hate is when a fuel sender goes bad, oh my gosh it drives me bonkers. First car an 86 IROC had a sender go bad. That was such a mother to get out I didn't even get passed the evaluation stages of that project... Just did the trip reset deal. Also, I think my fuel senders on the fritz in my ford but I am living with it, way too pricey if you ask me.

I'm going to do that though, run a 38 gallon tank, perhaps even two of them. I'm going to run the fuel line across the truck and mount one on the power tire side, ditch the rear tank. 76 gallons of fuel is might nice! Since my Ford tanks are dry now, I ran them empty to get the gunk out in the old carb which is going for a rebuild.

Just having a show of hands who thinks I should fill it up a part at a time lol, I could go roughly 130 dollars for stock, or if I switch to 38s I would be around 300 for a fill up lol.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you can predict the ebb and flow of gas prices like clockwork, there's no reason not to fill up your gas tank entirely each time you go. (unless of course, you can't afford it or don't have the time to fill 78galof gas. lol)

Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Hahahah yeah very true actually. Chances are I will actually save myself as in all likelyhood it will increase right as I leave.

I remember during harvest this year, my truck took alot of fuel like 100+ gallons, filled it up every day, a wopping 4mpgs hauling 300+bushels of grain.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
On an aside if I do it right I can fuel the left and right rank at the same time, bahahaha sure way to **** people off.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 AM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Glovemeister, what 38 gallon side tank are you talking about? As far as I know no one makes one. There's not much room for more capacity, certainly not another 19 gallons. It would have to hang very low to fit it all where the factory side tank is. Or are you talking about running another 19 gal on the passenger side?

Either way it doesn't matter for me since I replaced my side tank last year. Aside from that I wonder if it is just a Bronco tank, as most Bronco tanks I've pulled have been large and somewhere over 30 gallons.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM
85_Blue
Senior User
If you are wanting to stock up on fuel, then I suggest getting or making an 'in bed' fuel tank, then you could make it as large as you want. volume of 4x8x4.. thats alot of fuel

Old 04-11-2011, 09:57 AM
91chevywt
Senior User
I have this tank sitting in my garage waiting to be put on. Got it from RockAuto. It's not the same as a bronco tank...but it is similar. It's specifically made to replace the rear tank on an f-truck to give more fuel capacity...mostly for someone who wants to ditch the front tank and just have one tank, but you could use it on a dual tank setup too.

It's more like a kit. It comes with some stuff to modify the sending unit to drop the pickup lower. You'll need to cut it. I'm in the same boat, i need to replace my tank and sending unit anyway, so I just decided to get the big tank to hoard fuel. It also comes with long bolts and sleeves, so you can use the stock tank straps.

You'll need to relocate your spare, as the tank takes up the space the spare would occupy. Since my carrier was in need of serious help anyway, I just carry a spare in the bed.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
A Dodge tank a plastic one with a metal shield... Also, in bed fuel tanks are nice I run transfer tanks that are $300+ every fillup. That being said be aware that a large load of fuel in an un baffled tank will push you and lean hard core in the corners...

Old 04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the LMC 38 gal. Also picked up a new sending unit from LMC.

As you can see, it fits tight, but doesn't rub anywhere. Close, though. I put it in from the top at an angle to clear the seam from the two halves.

The extension tube supplied is copper, and the sending unit is stainless. They say use epoxy or solder. I'm not really a fan of having epoxy submerged in fuel for its life so I wanted to solder. I called up my dad since he is a plumber so see if he had any tricks for the fusion. We tried a couple different approaches, but we could not get that copper to bite to the stainless. In the process, we ended up melting part of the plastic rheostat for the sending unit so it ended there.

Broncos have 32 gal? The 38 gal kit comes with an S type extension. Since I need another sending unit, I was thinking of also buying a Bronco sending unit. It would already have the curvature needed, so in theory it would only have to be lengthened with a straight extension? Not sure what I'll do yet. This is one of those areas in a project that is being neglected.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:14 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

In my searches, I also came up with this from JBG recently. 45 gal !

F-Series Pick-Up 45gal Rear Tank

Old 04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
1: The standard tank for a Bronco is 25 gallons.
The Auxillery tank for a Bronco is 32 gallons.
Don't know if their sending units will work with the aftermarket F-series 38 gallon tanks.

2: Broncos do not have dual tanks. You either got one or the other, not both.

3: Broncos keep their spares either inside, or Outside on the "tailgate rack".

4: Ford had an optional Bedside tire carrier for the F-series. Bolts to the bed on the inside. This could be an option for the tank retrofit.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Thanks to everyone for the information, but not so much thanks to Glovemeister for rambling about irrelevant tangents, hijacking, and not providing any info.

Thanks Bryan for the picture. Could you measure how far below the frame rails the tank hangs? Doesn't look like much but just want to know what I'm getting into.

I'm not worried about the space tire as I run a 35x12.5 and if it'll fit it wouldn't be fun getting it up there, easier to keep it in the bed.

85blue, I use my truck. That means I need the bed. I also have no use for 957 gallons of fuel. That's nearly a year's worth of fuel and it would go bad. Not to mention a ridiculous hazard to be hauling around in the event of a fire. It would also weigh about 5750 lbs... Almost as much as my truck. Your idea is terrible.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

My chassis is in a friends garage while I do some body work. He is out of country for 4 more weeks. I do have a few more pictures to help with references if you'd like.

Quick Reply: 38 gallon rear tank?