1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Door Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Door Swap Questions

Hey all, my '85 F250 is a Lariat with few options. My '84 F250 was only a XLT and it had more then the '85 and unless I'm wrong I thought the Lariat was the higher package?

Anyway, the power windows and power locks are what I miss the most and considering that I need a paint job anyway I was thinking about grabbing a couple of doors with the power locks and windows at the wrecking yard and swapping mine out. So I have a few questions about this:

1) Wiring. Will my truck already have the wiring for this upgrade in it? If not it is a separate harness than the main?

2) Bronco doors from this era are the same, correct?

3) Are the doors from the 87-99 trucks interchangeable to the 80-86? Visually they look the same to me, but I might be missing something obvious. If they are do they pose new wiring obstacles since they have the newer type of switches?

TIA!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 PM
hoxiii
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87-91 doors should be identical, 92-96/7 the vent windows changed, but your old ones will bolt in, and 95-96/7 has an extra body line at the bottom of the door.

Justin

Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
1) Wiring. Will my truck already have the wiring for this upgrade in it? If not it is a separate harness than the main?
No. Yes. Well, don't know if *separate* is the correct term, perhaps *additional wiring* is more appropriate since those wires might be (I'd suspect "probably are") included in the "main" harness.

2) Bronco doors from this era are the same, correct?
More or less, yes.

3) Are the doors from the 87-99 trucks interchangeable to the 80-86?
Supposedly, yes.

If they are do they pose new wiring obstacles since they have the newer type of switches?
No idea, never done it but I doubt any such obstacles are not insurmountable. If I were you, I'd buy a wiring diagram (http://www.lloydsautolit.com/search.cgi?year=1985&make=Fordtruck&category=Wirin g+Diagrams and perhaps on eBay) and see what you can find in the junkyards to look at.

-chris
colorado, usa

Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I swapped a pair of doors with PW/PL from a 1990 F-250 onto my 1985 F-250 that did not have those options. There is a harness that connects the doors and then has a plug for the power that you will need. I installed an extra universal fuse block with the needed 30amp circuit breakers to power them since I couldn't find any unused plugs with power. I have the ability to power the windows without the key which is kind of nice. I also used the 1990 door panels/switches since they line up with the dash well enough not to bother me. I plan on painting them to match the interior this year though.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up getting a pair from an '87. I'm in the process of sanding and primering them now before I put them on. I've already run the under-dash wiring. Rather easy that part, it's a separate harness that's right under the dah pad against the firewall.
Syco, what size hole did you have to make in the cab for the wire boot on the doors? I'm measuring the inside groove of the boot at 1.75', wanted to make sure that's correct.
TA!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:20 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The factory power window/lock harness plugs and plays into a single blue wired pigtail located near the top of the fuse box. It looks just like the plugs under the hood near the master cylinder that the underhood light and cruise control servo plug into.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Thanks Bill, I'll look for that. I haven't hooked up my hots yet.

That reminds me, I have a question regarding cruise control, but I'll start a new thread for that one.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
My cab already had holes for the rubber boot. It had the factory door speakers. I did notice that when I had 95 doors the rubber boot was much larger than the 85 and I had to cram it in the hole(let the jokes begin ). The boot from the 90 doors I currently have fit just fine though.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Just my luck, mine doesn't have the holes. Just a centering dimple where the hole gets drilled out. Hopefully I'll be able to get a hole bore in there without having to pull the fenders.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drilled mine by putting a drill inside the door and drilling out.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Here's an update, I've installed all my wiring and the doors. Now the power windows work fine, but I only have the R/S power lock. I pulled the power motor and bench tested it and it appears to work fine. I tested the two wires out of the harness and one side does nothing and the other wire gets a brief hot when actuating the rocker switch, but only in one position. But when the wires are hooked up to the motor it will not lock or unlock.
Looks like I have a problem in the switch or wiring. FWIW the wiring was all plug and play, I didn't cut or splice anything so it's all stock. Anyone know how to diagnose this?
TIA!

Old 05-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
I just tried swapping the switches from door to door with no change in function. Not looking too good here, hopefully someone has some suggestions.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
When I did my swap, I had the same problem with the driver side switch for the passenger side window. It turns out there is a short in my wiring harness in the driver side door. I can wiggle the harness and get it to work for a while, but it eventually quits after a few uses. You might try fidding with the wires while working the switch to see if you can get it to work, at least then you might find the problem.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy
The factory power window/lock harness plugs and plays into a single blue wired pigtail located near the top of the fuse box. It looks just like the plugs under the hood near the master cylinder that the underhood light and cruise control servo plug into.
So my 86 i can put factory power windows in buy just getting the door harnesses and plug them into the cab harness? ( the cab is already wired?)

Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
So my 86 i can put factory power windows in buy just getting the door harnesses and plug them into the cab harness? ( the cab is already wired?)
No, you have to get the wiring for the cab. It's not hard though, it's a separate harness that's fairly accessible by removing the dash pad. What ri_truck_guy is referring to is plugging the door harness into the existing cab wiring for the hot leads.

Quick Reply: Door Swap Questions