The nasty surprise of a wet basement

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 PM
corner27
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The nasty surprise of a wet basement

I guess this means it's spring!
I found water in my basement today. I had fixed a crack in the foundation last summer so I was hoping I was past this. But now it's leaking in a different spot.
My house doesnt have any weeping tile(built in 66) and it was backfilled with clay. I think I'm going to have to break down and put in some weeping tile this summer.

Can anyone on here give me some direction as to how I should go about this? I'm thinking I will probably hire a mini excavator to dig around the house and take away the clay. Then I will get some buddies over to help waterproof the foundation and slope/lay the tile. Once that's complete I'll get a bobcat to come in and dump new backfill and top it with a couple feet of topsoil.
Does this sound about right?

If anyone know if a bobcat or excavator in the Melfort area, let me know!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Bummer! Sounds like a good plan.
I do not know of anyone in the Melfort area, ask around since there must be someone around with a mini excavator if there is no room for a backhoe.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Snowking
Post Fiend
If you go the renting equipment route a large mini excavator goes for 1150 a week and 300 delivery to Melfort from Saskatoon a skidsteer would be around the 900-1000 mark for a week same delivery/pickup charge but if you want you can haul yourself. Thats United Rentals RSC or Westcon or Northern rentals might be a few pennies cheaper

Old 04-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Fomoko1
Nothing for rentals in PA,Flamans maybe.......

Old 04-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Northern Rentals is in PA, but almost same distance to PA as is to Saskatoon its only 168kms to Melfort from the Drive-Inn

Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you know where it is leaking it might be any easy fix. The problem with a basement the water does not always come in where it is leaking on the outside. When you find where it is leaking you need to find some bentonite. They sell it at animal feed places, water well drilling or oil and gas and if that fails go to the grocery store and look for scoopable kitty litter and make sure it says bentonite on the bag. To seal your basement dig down around the foundation about 8 to 10" and about 2' out ( just past the eaves) Next put a layer of bentonite down about 1" thick and then cover back up with the soil you just dug out. Bentonite will create a waterproof barrier and shed the water away from your foundation. If you have any questions let me know.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Leaking basements suck!

My backhoe might be around the melfort area this summer when I bring it back to excavate for my cabin area, I could work something out with ya if you wanted to rent it or whatnot. I probably wouldnt have time to do anything much myself though, gonna be a busy summer as is!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
laynrubber
Elder User
Been there done that.....he is what i did.
Water was skirting thru the basement wall !
Dug around 2 sides that were the problem, bought this black rubberish sheet and glue (3 ft wide X 50ft). Rolled the glue on and laid this sheeting from the ground level down and over the footings. Over lapping each sheet by 4 or 5 inches, the sheets are glued on vertically.
Laid down new sock covered weep pipe and tied it to my drain. My weep tile drains down the hill and i made sure that pipe was clean and good also.
Lots of clean crushed rock over the weep pipe, laid Styrofoam over that and then back filled with mostly the old fill minus the engine block sized boulders.
So far so good, 5 yrs and $1800 later

Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going back in time. when I was 16. We had a house doing this. My dad had me come home after school and everyday dig around the basement. I had to retar it and back fill. This was all done by shovel and my back.

Anyways. Are you on a farm or acreage. When I hade my hosue put on the new foundation. They told me I had to connect the weeeping to my sewer drain. I instaed used my Bobcat and dug a trench away from the house going lower than the footings. Connected the weeping to go this way. At the end dug a pit and filled with crushed rock. and crushed rock over the tile hold in place. This was allowed by the building inspector.
Thet came and tarred my basement walls. The day they did it. I had all this R15 styrofoam and tcked it to the fresh tar.
I have not had any leaks and I increased my R valu of my basement walls. The frost stays off the walls due to the styrofoam.

Sadly Like Shaune says. Get the rubber membrane and hav eit tacked on over the tar. IT maybe costly to put on. But not as costly as replacing items or repairing carpets and walls in the basement. Plus that stress.
If your not up to the work. Your bank may help in re doing your mortgae to improve the home. It is a home improvement that cannot be removed. Their biggest concerns are if the improvements can be walked away.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
corner27
Senior User
Well I found the issue. It's a clone of the issue I fixed last year. It's a crack that goes from the bottom corner of the window well all the way to the floor. I think I will probably end up doing the same fix I did last year, except instead of digging it by hand I'll hire someone to dig it with a hoe. What I did was gid it down to the footing, and then used a foundation waterproofing kit made my Resisto. It's a 2' wide rubber sheet. First you roll on the primer and then stick this sheet on. Once that's dry you put this tar like stuff on the edges to make sure it seals. then I backfilled it with new backfill toped with 2' of topsoil.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If i was you. I go a bit deeper and put a drain in the window well. Have this drain go down past the footing. Have this hole filled with crushed rock to help water be soaked into the ground below the footing. It will help your window well drain of rain water or melting snow.
Building codes for window wells now is they have to have drains in them connecting to the weeping tile.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blueskin its called...

Best thing to do? fill your basement with base, pack it well, and pour a cement pad in there 3' below the floor joists... don't ever go down there again... I'm a contractor... old basements (and some new ones) suck.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM
djanzen
Elder User

Try renting from Kramer tractor (cat Dealer) they have a branch in tisdale.
alot closer to you. both mini X And skid steer

Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Fomoko1
So Kramer Rentals have quite afew branches across this province?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM
djanzen
Elder User

Originally Posted by Fomoko1
So Kramer Rentals have quite afew branches across this province?
The cat Rental store is in Saskatoon and Regina. But they rent out machines from the Seven Kramer branches as well. they just don't have all the small stuff.

Quick Reply: The nasty surprise of a wet basement