Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Newbie...looking for parts and body expert!!!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:28 AM
79bad4d
THE BEAST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie...looking for parts and body expert!!!

Just picked up a 79 F-250 from down in Oregon and brought her back to Tacoma. My big needs right now are front fenders and a left inside fender and also a box. The box seems to be in good shape as in little to no rust anywhere on it but looks like it has been through a few battles with trees and etc and LOST!! So it seems putting on another box would be my easiest fix. Now to the body expert if you could recommend someone or if someone would like to help out I will most certainly pay you for your time. The problem is my cab on the rear right corner had something large dropped on it or something and is smashed in not sure what the options are to fix it. The dent does not show in the inside of the cab and has not affected the rear windshield at all either. Anyways thats what I am looking at any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Here she is:

Old 09-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Tsoptich
Senior User
I got a cab minus glass and doors and seat needs some work on the floor pans also I have the fenders and a core support and hood If your interested

Old 09-05-2011, 02:59 PM
79bad4d
THE BEAST

I am hoping someone can do the work on the cab to save it or at least help it out. I am still looking for fenders and what not so if you want send some pics to me, my email is roushhellhorse@gmail.com.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:01 PM
79bad4d
THE BEAST

Alright here is a pic of the cab...do you think it can be saved???

Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Anything can be saved, but it just depends on how much you're willing to put into it to make that happen. With regard to your cab, I think it could be fixed, but it's going to take a lot of work. I'd suggest taking as much damage out as possible with body hammers, welded pins and a slide hammer, so that you can minimize the amount of sheet metal you may have to replace. That crease in the metal that's right of center of the damage looks like a bugger to repair, and I'm guessing it'd be easier to just cut that out and replace the metal. That would require some metal forming, and welding skills that I can't claim that I necessarily have.

I do think if you took your time with the reduction of the damage around that crease, you could probably get a body shop to weld in a patch piece without it breaking the bank. There's no question it's going to take some time and patience, but I think it's doable.

Just to be safe, though, it probably wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for a good cab. You might find a deal out there. I don't know about Oregon, but up in Eastern Washington, there are yards all over the place that have 73-79 trucks in them. Pretty sure if you did some research, and took a road trip to scavenge, you'd find many of the parts you're looking for.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Tsoptich
Senior User
On eBay there is are a few guys that just deal in old fords. They are in Washugal (?) I would look they up. I can't remember now for the life of me but I will do some research and see if a can find there store. They pull all the useable parts and usually scrap the cabs. Maybe you could work a deal. And like I said I have a bare cab that need the floor pans patched. LMC and JBG sell the patches for $45 or so. I could part with it for $200 obo. It's not doing me any good. Let me know I live in Yakima.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 AM
hydrosmith
Senior User
Originally Posted by 79bad4d
Alright here is a pic of the cab...do you think it can be saved???

When I looked at this I thought of an old friend of mine that I haven't heard from in a long time who used to be a body man so I tracked him down. What he says is that dent near the center and that crease to the right won't come out so he would cut the entire top off and replace it. Cutting the pillars would be easier than trying pull and smooth the metal.
It would take some precise measuring but would yield a better result if you wanted to keep the cab.

My thoughts are replace the cab. No special skills required just a lot of wrenching and unplugging wiring.