Ranger transmission issues - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Ranger transmission issues

Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 AM
bustech81
Senior User
bustech81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ranger transmission issues

Hello all,
OK, here's the deal. First 5r55E trans I have repaired. Came to me with no reverse. Found a broken reverse band, fixed that and installed a transgo kit. Transmission worked great for about 50 miles. He called me a said the OD light was blinking. Check codes and found P0741 converter clutch fault. Checked solonoid and such and all seems well. Removed valvebody and found some metal debris from drilling holes for the shift kit( thought I got it all out). Tore the valve body totally down and gave it a very good cleaning as well as all the valves. Re-assembled and now an extremly late 1-2, almost where it skips 2 and goes right into three. Also, now ratio codes for 3 and 5. Gaskets were not torn, and all solonoids click and ohm great. What am I missing?? This is a family friend so I am not making any money, just trying to help. Am going to order new valvebody gaskets tomorrow. Maybe an updated EPC as well. Please HELP!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 PM
jk080
Posting Guru
jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.jk080 has a great reputation on FTE.
I never use a shift kit with this transmission, it sounds like the shift kit may be the cause of your problems. I know I know, but its a Transgo shift kit, I have had shift kits including Transgo shift kits totally screw up valve body's for certain transmissions, so I only use them on a few transmissions. Not saying that you cant use them and that they dont work, but that my experience is they are capable of causing all kinds of problems and I have got a whole bunch of these trannys under my belt with no shift kit and no problems.

Assuming everything was working fine except for no reverse, you rebuilt the trans, replaced the broke band, installed a shift kit and ended up with a converter issue. Removed valve body, completely disassembled it and now its having a few different problems, all could be valve body related. Not sure if you could remove the shift kit if you have drilled some holes but it would be nice if you could see how it works with a stock valve body since it was probably working just fine before the band broke.

These can be troublesome transmissions, there can be a lot that can go wrong and cause all sorts of shifting issues, my recommendation would be to try another valve body if you don't see anything wrong with it. I have got some good pictures I can upload if you are unsure about some of the valve train line up or clip locations.

The converter issue can be the converter itself or the pump, like the sealing ring on the end of the stator shaft, or the valve body of course.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 PM
bustech81
Senior User
bustech81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the reply. And yes, the transmission shifted properly other than the 2-3 flare that most of these have. After my intial repair of the low reverse band, and the shift kit, the truck drove fine for about 50 miles, then the converter fault. I am going through the valve body right now and I would not turn down any addtional photos or pictures that you have that my prove useful. Thanks for the help!!!